The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

The build is open to any subject from the first 100 years of the Royal Air Force, with a focus on iconic subjects or squadrons that have links to the modellers' home country.

Any subject includes aircraft, and other RAF related subjects - specifically the Marine Branch, the RAF Regiment, and WAAFs.

As a civilian organisation, the Air Transport Auxiliary is excluded.

Dates: 1 April 2018 to 22 July

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Any subject includes aircraft, and other RAF related subjects - specifically the Marine Branch, the RAF Regiment, and WAAFs.

Including PMRAFNS...  

I would love to see an entry on that subject.

• Thanks 1

I'll be up for a modern subject or 2. A400M (as mentioned elsewhere) and perhaps a Tornado, Eurofighter or Lightning.

OK here is a curly one, how about aircraft from the Article XV squadrons from WWII?

From Wiki

Article XV squadrons were Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand air force squadrons formed from graduates of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (1939) during World War II.

These units complemented another feature of the BCATP, under which personnel from the Royal Air Force (RAF), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) were placed in a common pool, and assigned to Article XV and RAF squadrons – in Europe, the Mediterranean Theatre, Africa and South-East Asia – according to operational needs.

Under Article XV of the Agreement, graduates from Dominion air forces were to be assigned to squadrons either formed by their own air forces, or with a specific national designation, under the operational control of a local air force, in most cases the RAF. These became known as "Article XV squadrons." In addition, Articles XVI and XVII stipulated that the UK government would be responsible for the pay and entitlements of aircrews trained under the BCATP. Nevertheless, these personnel and any squadrons formed for service with the RAF, under Article XV, would belong to the three Dominion air forces. 

During the war, 44 Canadian, 17 Australian and six New Zealand Article XV squadrons were formed. In practice – and technically in contravention of Article XV – most personnel from Dominion air forces, while they were under RAF operational control, were assigned to British units. This was generally due to practical staffing considerations. Similarly, many of the Article XV squadrons contained few airmen from their nominal air force when they were first formed. However, by the end of the war, this had generally been rectified. Canada made a greater insistence on its airmen going specifically to RCAF operational units overseas, ensuring that the identity of its national squadrons was preserved.

I'd be interested in doing something from one of the 'RAAF' Article XV Squadrons.

• Like 4

Good question Ray. It would be nice to gather 17 x Aussie modellers and 6 x Kiwi plastic bashers to depict a subject from each of these ‘Anzac’ Article XV Squadrons. Might be hard pressed to find 44 crazy Canucks though... So who’s in? 

Failing that, I’m an Aussie with Maltese heritage. I would consider a No.54 Squadron Spitfire Vc based in Darwin as part of the Churchill Wing or an aircraft from one of the many famous Malta based squadrons. 

I should be in this GB either way - roll on 01 April 2018. 

Cheers.. Dave 

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

How about an aircraft flown from Malta by an Australian pilot?

Good one Enzo - RAAF Spitfire ace “Slim” Yarra comes to mind and I’m pretty sure there’s the correct decals in the 1/72 Sword kit! 

The only problem is that I’ve only got one Sword Spit Vc in the stash, however have about a zillion subject choices that I want to build.. if only a readily available ‘Vc’ kit (read Airfix?) was announced for 2018... Ok I'll stop the bickering right now. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

In on this one, a bit of research required but maybe the very first registered RAF type set alongside the latest literally a hundred years in one display.

So maybe 'registered' was the wrong word as it doesn't seem to be throwing much up on the interweb, now possibly thinking No1 Squadron SE5a and EF Typhoon on a suitable display base, maybe one in flight. 

Edited by MarkSH
  • Like 1

I don't think I initially signed up for this one, but it will give me an excuse to build the new Airfix wellington. If it's out by then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I don't think I initially signed up for this one, but it will give me an excuse to build the new Airfix wellington. If it's out by then.

You are very welcome Ozzy

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I'd be interested in doing something from one of the 'RAAF' Article XV Squadrons.

You are very welcome Ray :)

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good one Enzo - RAAF Spitfire ace “Slim” Yarra comes to mind and I’m pretty sure there’s the correct decals in the 1/72 Sword kit! 

That sounds like a good choice Dave,

8 hours ago, cathasatail said:

I'd love to join in when the time comes- I might have to persuade myself to have another crack at the good ole' Airfix Vulcan.  :banghead:

I'd love to see a Vulcan built here cathasatail

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I'm in

Early biplane era; Sopwith Snipe and some others

Oh, yes!  I wonder what colours (wartime or post-WWI)?  Sounds good Black Knight.

5 hours ago, MarkSH said:

So maybe 'registered' was the wrong word as it doesn't seem to be throwing much up on the interweb, now possibly thinking No1 Squadron SE5a and EF Typhoon on a suitable display base, maybe one in flight. 

Mark, your No 1 Squadron display sounds intersting

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Ozzy, you are welcome, whether you signed up earlier or no :)

5 hours ago, SimonT said:

January Flypast is an RAF 100 Years special.

Thanks for the heads up Simon, I'll keep an eye out for that ...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

1/72 Spitfire PR XI for me I think.

You are very welcome PLC

2 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Been looking at the stash, thinking of going with something from the interwar years.

Favourite at the moment is Inpacts 1/48 Bristol Bulldog.

That should be fun, you are very welcome

... and you've reminded me that I have a Gauntlet in my own stash (1/48 Aeroclub)

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good question Ray. It would be nice to gather 17 x Aussie modellers and 6 x Kiwis plastic bashers to depict a subject from each of these ‘Anzac’ Article XV Squadrons. Might be hard pressed to find 44 crazy Canucks though... So who’s in? 

Failing that, I’m an Aussie with Maltese heritage. I would consider a No.54 Squadron Spitfire Vc based in Darwin as part of the Churchill Wing or an aircraft from one of the many famous Malta based squadrons. 

I should be in this GB either way - roll on 01 April 2018. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I may not be an Aussie but I might just contribute to this... been thinking of doing a Spitfire Vb from one of these squadrons for a while - the one that was based at RAF Andreas for a while, can't remember which one off the top of my head (452 or 457 maybe?) but I've had the kit and decals for it for a while so seems like I have a good reason to build it now.

• Like 3

Count me in please. 

Quite to a bit of RAF stuff tucked away so will have to have a think on what to go for. 1st things that came to mind were Lightning or Phantom (can you tell I'm a child of the '70's?). Although there's plenty more to choose from & I may well have a change of heart before kick off.

Edge

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zebra said:

I may not be an Aussie but I might just contribute to this... been thinking of doing a Spitfire Vb from one of these squadrons for a while - the one that was based at RAF Andreas for a while, can't remember which one off the top of my head (452 or 457 maybe?) but I've had the kit and decals for it for a while so seems like I have a good reason to build it now.

I may not be an Aussie - Yes you are, living in Melbourne you qualify (I think?).

RAF Andreas - Wiki says that 457 was based there first, which was then followed by 452 once the former squadron departed, so looks like an each way bet.

Should this get up we could call it the "Colonial Contribution" - rather like a mini group build within a group build?

Cheers... Dave

• Thanks 1