The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

On 21/12/2017 at 19:32, JOCKNEY said:

I've been giving this one a bit of thought and it would be great if we could have builds that represent the 10 decades this GB covers, as well as the diversity of, for example aircraft types.

My own initial choices would be either a Formaplane Hawker Henley, or a Contrail Fairey Hendon

Perhaps we could collate the build list into decades, which would identify any gaps.

Thoughts ?

That might be helpful.  I'm not too sure how it'll work in practice, but, why not.

On 21/12/2017 at 19:44, SimonT said:

Sure, I’m planning a Tornado GR.4 and a Spitfire Mk.I.

Following @JOCKNEY 's suggestion ... I'm guessing, but presumably the Spitfire I would fit the 1930s or the 1940s?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

That might be helpful.  I'm not too sure how it'll work in practice, but, why not.

Following @JOCKNEY 's suggestion ... I'm guessing, but presumably the Spitfire I would fit the 1930s or the 1940s?

Hi Robert

The idea came from the great job Jaime is doing on the Flying Boat, Floatplane GB at the moment, he does a weekly snapshot covering the builds. Also the Current Matchbox GB has the kits listed by Colour range and packet number .

The idea was to use this idea to log the builds in a table again each decade with who's building it next to it

ie 

1920's

Vickers Victoria - Contrail - 1/72 - Fred Smith

Vickers Virginia - Contrail - 1/72 - Joe Bloggs

1930's

Handley Page Hendon - Contrail - 1/72 - JOCKNEY

Saro Cloud - Valom - 1/72 - Andy Pandy

1940's

Vickers Warwick - Contrail - 1/72 - Madame Cholet

etc

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Robert

The idea came from the great job Jaime is doing on the Flying Boat, Floatplane GB at the moment, he does a weekly snapshot covering the builds. Also the Current Matchbox GB has the kits listed by Colour range and packet number .

The idea was to use this idea to log the builds in a table again each decade with who's building it next to it

Thanks (I think :swear:), I'd missed those reports.

I suppose I do need to revise my Access skills, or, maybe I'll do something in .php/MySQL, which would be easier.

(Excel is a No-No! - easy to start, but a :pig: when it goes wrong).

• Like 1

Sorry Robert I was only suggesting a written list not a fancy spreadsheet....I share you excel aversion !

Can I volunteer to carry out this for you during the GB ?

If it's not what you want, isn't liked by the GB participants we can drop it.

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

Father Christmas has been very kind to me and I'll be along with pure sentimentality

in 1946 my dad was with 73 squadron in Malta and spitfire mk. 22

when it came out he brought the matchbox 1/32 kit but never got round to building it. Somewhere along the line it was lost

but I'm here with the Revell repop, which even has 73 Sqn markings

• Like 11

On 26/12/2017 at 15:49, Mjwomack said:

Father Christmas has been very kind to me and I'll be along with pure sentimentality

in 1946 my dad was with 73 squadron in Malta and spitfire mk. 22

when it came out he brought the matchbox 1/32 kit but never got round to building it. Somewhere along the line it was lost

but I'm here with the Revell repop, which even has 73 Sqn markings

That's a good bit of family history, welcome to the build :)

Not to thread hijack but I decided to start an raf build early as I’ve not done one for a while and with 2018 dawning, so plucked out an air fix old tool harrier gr7 only to find the cockpit tub and seat was missing, now the seat can be a spares box job; but how would I replace the cockpit tub?

• Sad 1

Welcome  to the build @Smithy

@JOCKNEY, @SimonT, I've done something in Access that might help with producing stats ...

Status Summary
  SomeGB
  123-somegb
  Type Attribute Count
  Brand Matchbox 1
  Media Injection Plastic 1
  Scale 1/72 1
  Status Finished 1
  A N Other STGB
  345-a-n-other-stgb
  Type Attribute Count
  Brand Takom 1
  Dragon 2
  Media Injection Plastic 4
  Scale 1/72 1
  1/35 3
  Status Started 2
  Committed 3

The labels (Type, Attribute) are a bit crude ATM, I'll see what I think about changing those.  Periods and years will fit under those heads...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Welcome  to the build @Smithy

@JOCKNEY, @SimonT, I've done something in Access that might help with producing stats ...

Status Summary
  SomeGB
  123-somegb
  Type Attribute Count
  Brand Matchbox 1
  Media Injection Plastic 1
  Scale 1/72 1
  Status Finished 1
  A N Other STGB
  345-a-n-other-stgb
  Type Attribute Count
  Brand Takom 1
  Dragon 2
  Media Injection Plastic 4
  Scale 1/72 1
  1/35 3
  Status Started 2
  Committed 3

The labels (Type, Attribute) are a bit crude ATM, I'll see what I think about changing those.  Periods and years will fit under those heads...

Clever stuff, very clever! Don’t let it be onerous to you though, it’ll take the fun out of it for you. ;)

• Like 2

Great stuff Robert

I am happy to carry this out on your behalf for the GB if you fancy.

I have just found the old Novo Hawker Hunter (ex Frog) from the year dot. It's so old it has half a pilot moulded into each half of the fuselage and no wheel wells under the wings. I am going to build this in the GB, a real trip down memory lane. I might even cycle back from the corner shop to build it over a weekend !  :bristow:

Now the only fly in the ointment (apart from the thought of cycling anywhere, I miss my old Chopper bike ) is the fact, it a racing certainty the decals won't work. I'll need to look out for some replacements, like the Frog originals. 

cheers Pat

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I am happy to carry this out on your behalf for the GB if you fancy

Thanks Pat.  I'll see  what the work load is like - plus, I need to know what mistakes I'll make to try and catch any bugs.

14 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have just found the old Novo Hawker Hunter (ex Frog) from the year dot. It's so old it has half a pilot moulded into each half of the fuselage and no wheel wells under the wings. I am going to build this in the GB, a real trip down memory lane. I might even cycle back from the corner shop to build it over a weekend !  :bristow:

A Hunter sounds good, though, even for Frog, that sounds like an early kit?  Still, it *should* be a quick build, unless you start 'modernising' the kit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Pat.  I'll see  what the work load is like - plus, I need to know what mistakes I'll make to try and catch any bugs.

A Hunter sounds good, though, even for Frog, that sounds like an early kit?  Still, it *should* be a quick build, unless you start 'modernising' the kit.

Hi Robert

The plan is just straight OOTB just like we used to when we were nippers. So as you say it SHOULD be simple....... :pray:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi chaps, I'd like to enter with a Pre War or early war Spitfire Mk 1, not decided yet but there's an Iliad Design sheet I have my eye on, kit I'll use will be the Airfix 1/48 mk 1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Hi chaps, I'd like to enter with a Pre War or early war Spitfire Mk 1, not decided yet but there's an Iliad Design sheet I have my eye on, kit I'll use will be the Airfix 1/48 mk 1.

Sounds good Blitz

• Like 1

Oh damn, I really do need to look at the GB Calendar more often, I missed that this one has got the go ahead and I supported the original proposal!!  May I join Robert?  As I will have served for about a 1/3 of the RAF's 100 years I really ought to try and complete this build (particularly as I did complete a kit for the Britmodeller 90 years of the RAF GB - have I really been a member for that long!!).  I have plenty of kits that could fit the bill, mainly from the 1940s onwards though. 

Did we decide on any "rules", as per the discussion on the original topic, on what could be built?  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Oh damn, I really do need to look at the GB Calendar more often, I missed that this one has got the go ahead and I supported the original proposal!!  May I join Robert?  As I will have served for about a 1/3 of the RAF's 100 years I really ought to try and complete this build (particularly as I did complete a kit for the Britmodeller 90 years of the RAF GB - have I really been a member for that long!!).  I have plenty of kits that could fit the bill, mainly from the 1940s onwards though. 

Did we decide on any "rules", as per the discussion on the original topic, on what could be built?  

Of course you can join Roland, and you are very welcome.

The rules In the original topic were too complex, and put people off the build, so are simpler here:

The build is open to any subject from the first 100 years of the Royal Air Force, with a focus on iconic subjects or squadrons that have links to the modellers' home country.

Any subject includes aircraft, and other RAF related subjects - specifically the Marine Branch, the RAF Regiment, and WAAFs.

As a civilian organisation, the Air Transport Auxiliary is excluded.

8 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Oh damn, I really do need to look at the GB Calendar more often, I missed that this one has got the go ahead and I supported the original proposal!!

Roland, if you subscribe (with email notifications) to the thread below, you'll never miss anything again.

• Thanks 1

In with a Czech Spitfire from RAF Prestwick/Heathfield just down the road if I can get the bits I need for the aircraft of Frantisek Hekl who was killed in a crash at Loch Doon, again just down the road. His body was never found but the aircraft recovered and restored and can be seen in the museum of flight in Dumfries. Or I got a recent cheapo Euro Fighter Typhoon....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

@Valkyrie ... or build both the Spitfire and the Typhoon?  

Which ever you go for, you are very welcome

Struth... quite like that idea, modern and classic together, be interesting build.

• Like 1