The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

The Beau is one of the pair I started ages ago for the Constant Endeavour thread. I won't close up until my new paint arrives, but I'll potter along. Currently searching for palm trees to display the Zero and Wildcat

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Great progress Jon.

My admiration to you, Sir, for the birthday treat... even my sweet tooth couldn't manage three sundaes! :D

It wil not surprise those of you familiar with my excess ballast that, of the three, mine was the largest, and SWMBO's was the smallest. 06/24 minor fell in between the two, which, as that matches his height nowadays, seems fair. How do teenage boys grow so fast?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

However, the key thing, given it was her birthday, was that Mrs 06/24 declared herself happy. And thusly I somewhat redeemed myself for a small gift faux pas, in that the earrings I thought perfect for her, turned out to be so perfect she already had two identical pairs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

the earrings I thought perfect for her, turned out to be so perfect she already had two identical pairs...

:rofl2:

Ah, bad luck Jon, but as we all know 'it's the thought that counts' and I'm sure she'll think of you when she takes them back! :D

• Haha 6

Wahey, finally back on the site, sat at work and watching my laptop display a blue screen of death, so trying to catch up with news on here. 

Hope you all got what you wanted. Confession time, due to 06/24 minor getting gifts which required the bench reverting to a desk, and to general over indulgence I have made zero progress (geddit!)

its looking unlikely I’ll finish before the year end, but that means I can wait for the colourcoats paint to finish it properly and I have an idea for how to display it which hopefully will work. It can be my first of 2018 rather than my last of 2017

• Like 2

I've applied paint to the starboard side of the Zero, interior green to one of the Beaufighters, and also USN grey to the cavernous wheel well of the Wildcat.

This shot shows the difference in coverage between the Humbrol patchy interior green and the smooth Colourcoats USN grey:

38705157224_e4a5478770_c.jpgWildcat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Sadly the interior green for the Beaufighter didn't cover quite as well, and seemed generally less pigmented than the others I have tried. However, it went on easily enough and is nothing a second coat won't cure. The quality of these paints is doing more to raise my modelling mojo than pretty much anything else right now. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

The quality of these paints is doing more to raise my modelling mojo than pretty much anything else right now. 

It's cracking stuff, isn't it? I love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may have mentioned that I have an idea for displaying this and the Wildcat - essentially I envisaged the Zero having made a crash landing on a small islet and the victorious Wildcat circling above.

I’ve started to mock this up, with the Gnat standing in for the Wildcat…

25582347568_479557e561_c.jpgAtol by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38744395314_f999381e8e_c.jpgAtol by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 8