The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

I have come to realise that as I grow older, my modelling output is declining in inverse proportion to my years. I have also come to the reluctant conclusion that I own far more kits than I shall ever build, or, realistically ever want to.

So, what to do? I have imposed on myself sort of pre-new-year’s resolution. I shall not buy more kits than I finish next year. Since I haven’t finished a model all 2017 I think, I shan’t be buying much.

Having made this resolution, I promptly failed, since I acquired one of the Aldi bargain Gnat’s, and have ordered some extras (masks, pitot) to help finish it. But it’s not the New Year yet!

I have also realised that I have an incredibly irritating habit of starting build threads and then getting, distracted, bored or side-tracked and not completing them. So, while I shall continue my currently active builds on their own threads, any I start from now on will go here (if its 1/72).

I’ve had a couple of days off work as I have been unwell. Lacking the energy or concentration to model I consoled myself with reading, and an exploration of the stash.

37883328905_437dfe179a_c.jpgimage by jongwinnett, on Flickr

As well as the Gnat, two tentatively started builds muscled their way to the top. Harrier, my favourite childhood fast(ish) jet; Hawk, because one can never have too many; and the aforementioned Gnat. Alongside the royal Apache, I have decided to try and progress these.

37883330935_9aa328a223_c.jpgimage by jongwinnett, on Flickr

They will not be brilliant, but hopefully actually getting on and making something will restore some of my enthusiasm and confidence, which have waned over the past months.

The Harrier had seen the most progress, and the box contained, alongside the Airfix plastic, a Freightdog corrected tail, Master pitot, and decals which should enable me to do one of the No. 1417 Flight birds stationed in Belize (with the long term aim of doing a matching Puma of 1563 Flt)

So this was this evenings gentle warm up:

26994344879_51244427aa_c.jpgimage by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38739183822_75d15b5b31_c.jpgimage by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38053515324_c54ba6d802_c.jpgimage by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Hope the idea of a portmanteau WIP is ok, hopefully more progress tomorrow.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

Commando comic sighting!

Try this for size...

51-auf884yL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

... I just got this off Amazon - 656 pages of Commando capers - Battle of Britain stylee...

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Try this for size...

51-auf884yL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

... I just got this off Amazon - 656 pages of Commando capers - Battle of Britain stylee...

I've been trying to obtain some, allegedly for my boys, but tough to come by in the USA.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

What is slightly alarming is that despite never serving in the RAF, and never visiting Belize, every one of those references was familiar to me from my reading on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I've been trying to obtain some, allegedly for my boys, but tough to come by in the USA.

I dare say I can sort you, ahem, Winston and Grant out with a care package, although it may take a while (we cleared out 06/24 minor's stash not long ago, sorry!)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I dare say I can sort you, ahem, Winston and Grant out with a care package, although it may take a while (we cleared out 06/24 minor's stash not long ago, sorry!)

Bless you. I can but offer you the trade goods of my people: abusive tweets, confusing tautological statements, and fried food, but as you live in Scotland, only two of those might be in any way novel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I must have at least 60+ commando comics still in my hallway cupboard. Still read them, hell, they're one of the major sources of motivation due to their nostalgia.

• Like 1

So today I bought the first items for the @Procopius care package:

38068865724_fbffe12430_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And work has continued on the harrier, which included, a wash and some graphite (pencil) to highlight the fan:

23920784907_0cf16db8c9_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

It didn’t want to close up around the nose, and has needed a surprising amount of persuasion.

27010068869_36d6b3f2b5_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Still, once that was done, things have continued apace, although with my usual carnival of gluey thumb-prints etc., all very reminiscent of my childhood builds.

38785153261_0c1a2541a9_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

You can see the Freightdog tail here – a simple replacement but much better dimensionally, although I forgot to take a comparison shot, sorry.

38068865404_027dd467c5_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And I have now stepped away from the bench to let the glue harden before clean up.

23920786467_b6cfdb109f_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38785153111_a818059e71_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 11

So, while the Harrier is hardening, and before 06/24 minor needs the bench for his art homework, I grabbed a few moments to start on the Gnat. Reading previous builds on the net had alerted me to some fit issues with the intakes, but forewarned is fore armed and with a little sanding they fitted fine.

27011005249_baf1176f66_c.jpgGnat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The interior is probably best described as minimalist 

37900083855_6f09028b06_c.jpgGnat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

Why build a Gnat? Well as a small boy growing up in the 1970s, my paternal great uncle lived in a cottage in Kemble. Sadly the only occasion I recall visiting was when my father went to clear the house after he died. I would love to say I saw the Red Arrows that day, but I cannot now, after the best part of 40 years, recall. But I certainly saw them flying Gnats as a child, and even now my mind sees the Hawk as their new jet, even though they've been in use for over thirty years.

38789719251_8a28b115ef_c.jpgGnat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The aircraft Airfix has chosen is a survivor, ar Cosford:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/gnat/survivor.php?id=836

• Like 5

For anyone foolish enough to follow my builds as any sort of instructional manual, I should point out that the Gnat received two triangles of lead flashing superglued inside the nose, in an effort to avoid tail sitting. Without doing this, I fear the CoG would have been somewhere aft the rear wheels, with consequent wheelie tendencies.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

For anyone foolish enough to follow my builds as any sort of instructional manual, I should point out that the Gnat received two triangles of lead flashing superglued inside the nose, in an effort to avoid tail sitting. Without doing this, I fear the CoG would have been somewhere aft the rear wheels, with consequent wheelie tendencies.

I can confirm that a Gnat sans noseweight looks like it's being piloted by Evel Knievel

14 hours ago, 06/24 said:

So today I bought the first items for the @Procopius care package:

38068865724_fbffe12430_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Oh my goodness, Jon! You're far too kind to me...I mean Winnie. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, PLC1966 said:

Served in Belize in 92/93, The Guatemalan force came over the border a few times so the harriers would do bombing practice in the jungle nearby. They also liked to set fire to the training area with 30mm and rockets every time we where up there as well, so many days were taken over for fire beating! 

Personally familiar with the middle 2 links but avoided the last one, to many horror stories

• Like 2

Cheers folks. Finished the 'orrible 'ilux this evening but frankly it's crap and I'm embarrassed to add the photos. However, no one ever learnt from just success, so it's all grist to the mill. Only un-photogenic progress on the planes, filling and smoothing, so no photos, sorry.

• Like 1