The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

On 09/02/2018 at 8:34 PM, 06/24 said:

Is it just me, or do others suffer from a shopping equivalent of the red mist, or perhaps more accurately described as dumb fog? Popped into the LHS on the way home on the off chance they might have a Phantom (no chance, Airfix only sent them one and I already bought that!). Airfix haven't had Harrier GR 3s available for blooming ages either, and I didn't want another GR 1. But I want to buy something, a bit like when my childish self had his pocket money burning a hole. So I come out a lot of money lighter having bought an aged, not particularly good, Fujimi GR 3 Harrier for a stupidly expensive price. 

Now financially I can cope with the pain, but why? How at 48 am I no more capable of just walking out with nothing than I was at 8? I mean, I'm not really as bad, but just occasionally the dumb fog descends. On Thursday Hobbycraft had 20% off and I nearly, oh so nearly bought the aged Airfix Vulcan (I saw sense and got a Frightening instead).

Sorry for moaning and sharing my angst. I'll try and turn the Fujimi into something passable, but I am, officially, an idiot!

Tell me about it ,it's a long story but i now have 6 Brewster Buffalo's  in 1/48 scale .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Found another Flickr feed with some quality shots from back in the day, not relevant to anything (much) that I'm building, but too good not to share!

7113128097_0c833132d7_c.jpgBuccaneer S2B XV867 RAF Fairford 26.07.93 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

7371898082_c977ef682b_c.jpgPhantom FG.1 XT597 RAF Valley 17.08.85 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

9622414906_53c1dd9c76_c.jpgHarrier GR3 XZ998 RAF Mildenhall 23.05.87 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

• Like 8

19 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Found another Flickr feed with some quality shots from back in the day, not relevant to anything (much) that I'm building, but too good not to share!

7113128097_0c833132d7_c.jpgBuccaneer S2B XV867 RAF Fairford 26.07.93 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

7371898082_c977ef682b_c.jpgPhantom FG.1 XT597 RAF Valley 17.08.85 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

9622414906_53c1dd9c76_c.jpgHarrier GR3 XZ998 RAF Mildenhall 23.05.87 by Jonathan Francis, on Flickr

Turns out the photographer is a member on here - take a bow @jonf45 - really exceptional stuff!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Turns out the photographer is a member on here - take a bow @jonf45 - really exceptional stuff!

Thank you very much!! Wish there was this much to go get shots of nowadays :(

Edited by jonf45
  • Like 7

The model making competition I'm running at work is half way through, and we have our first completed entry. This is Heller's somewhat elderly little 1/43 Landrover, built by someone who has never built a kit before. If only i had this much talent!

38490793480_400e8ca4a9_c.jpgHeller Landie - Nucleus model making competition by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The attention to detail is top notch - sidelights, brakes and indicators neatly picked out in appropriate colours, decals neatly applied,etc, etc. The picture doesn't really do it justice!

• Like 9

The coastal kits bases arrived today. Had a bit of a faff fitting the support rod, need to give that some more thinking about. But I think it will be ok, more later once I can get some photos sorted.

1/8th inch steel in this case. Not showing off, the acrylic hasn't arrived yet.

I had planned to make it interchangeable, but the superglue I used for the hidden collar has fixed the steel like, well, iron. 

• Like 2

Courageous is of course right - natural light is much less harsh, especially on a flat grey Scottish Sunday morning

39436225545_3fec195988_c.jpgRetry with natural light by jongwinnett, on Flickr

@Procopiushas already pointed out the bravery of the pilot flying with an obscured canopy, what he doesn't

know is the jet lacks vectored thrust nozzles too. Must be staying aloft through magic!

I thought I had planned this out, but yesterday proved my imagination to have been sorely lacking. I think another learning point is to not try and make the support rod part of the dynamic composition, but to keep it simple and design the the plane socket to impart the desired sense of movement.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Another huge gap in output I'm afraid. @Procopiusis struggling manfully on with the Blenheim/Bisley duo while I sit marooned in the doldrums.

However a short break on the south coast did at least see some aircraft of interest (as well as lots of steam trains!)

41818798122_dae81fc6bf_c.jpgHercules by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26992854527_428b5c5a10_c.jpgSea King by jongwinnett, on Flickr

40962318415_40db665d25_c.jpgRN Wildcat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

41861084441_11a18ac102_c.jpgRN Wildcat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Apologies that they're a bit less than pin sharp, the first was a grab shot through the (stationary) car windscreen, and the SAR helo was miles away!

• Like 5