The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Cheers bud, as you can probably tell, I'm quite fond of the little beasties :)

East Fortune has a Harrier, but it's an odd thing, being one of the very early pre series production machines. It never saw squadron service afaik, and ended its days as a ground instructional airframe, hence the RN markings. 

East Fortune also has an ex-Gutersloh Lightning, and it's just possible one of those might jump the queue ahead of the Phantoms.

(Note to self, must finish Blenheims first, otherwise PC will think I've abandoned him!)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 06/24 said:

(Note to self, must finish Blenheims first, otherwise PC will think I've abandoned him!)

PC has little room to talk. But I start three days off tomorrow, and I'm "working" from home today, so I hope to get back on track.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good man.

06/24 Minor and I had a splendid visit to the National Museum of Flight. Not much modelling in these next few photos, but bucketloads of inspiration:

First XV277, the oldest surviving Harrier, development build airframe 6, iirc. GR.1 even though it has a vaguely Gr.3 nose, tail, and it has a funny extended tail cone. Never saw active service.

40208799212_14b8452c5d_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

40242151961_23c1bdc043_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25370833747_fabe0fcb73_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

40208791582_77de37cac7_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26369643078_08fa314622_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

39344304035_da1fdb4f8b_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26369639838_591665989a_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

39531265434_0029d78da5_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25370831477_36ffef677c_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

06/24 Minor was pleased to see an old favourite - Concorde Alpha Alpha. Sadly he will never see one in flight.

39343369505_922012b20d_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25369792117_21555c1f7e_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

39530244814_0eda9a1408_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Hiding behind (almsot underneath!) Alpha Alpha was a Jetstream 31:

38430203400_3e0f889102_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

On previous visits we've tended to ignore the civil jets, which, with hindsight, is a mistake. The Comet 4C turns out to be ex-RAF. Dan Air had its maintenance base at Lasham, near where I grew up, and although I don't recall seeing Comets there, its theoretically possible I guess?

26368539838_e778f2b956_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38430203120_c2beef04f5_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

40207629402_a16c8a56fc_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Finally, the God of Fire itself, the Vulcan.

XM597 is a Black Buck aircraft, flying two Shrike anti-radar missions and then achieving notoriety after the refuelling probe broke off on the return to Ascension after Black Buck 6, causing the aircraft to divert to Rio de Janiero! She carries two shrike mission markings followed by a neat little Brazilian flag in recollection of this.

40241000001_7d856d0b19_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38430202530_4eef57b868_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25369792237_77afe671d6_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

40207628942_d344a3e687_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25369790787_28b5bdb9f5_c.jpgNational Museum of Flight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck#Black_Buck_Six

Sadly the Scottish weather is not being particularly kind to the exhibits stored outdoors, and it remains to be seen how NMS intend to conserve these historic items.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, we had many through there as well as the 707s!

Martin

Thanks Martin, I thought so, but often all we could see from the gliding club car park was the tip of a tail fin. The dates on the information for G-BDIX certainly tie in with our late 70s, early eighties Sunday picnics. 

18 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice pictures Jon, and your wee man has certainly shot up in the last few years, he looks very grown up now :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks mate, nearly as tall as his old man now! 

Your correspondent is is not getting taller, quite the reverse, although he is getting rounder!

26375704378_3f38a099b7_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Not sure that Jet Provost ejector seat could shift me!

The Harrier flight received some primer, mainly as a witness coat

26375565508_a104445e30_c.jpgPrimer by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Pleasingly it looks as though the tail mods have blended in pretty seamlessly. I'm nervous the canopy join may have let overspray through, won't know until I unmask :(

I wanted to prime the JP too, but discovered a world of fiddlyness in fitting the canopy and masking, plus the blasted thing seems to need a dozen different colours so I'll need to spray black first (Canopy frameinteriors), then white (top half of fuselage, hopefully that'll do for the red too, then grey underneath. Eek. If I was more confident perhaps I would skip primer and go straight to top coats?

I'm still having a lot of grief gluing canopies, the PVA takes a long while to grab and I don't seem able to apply it neatly.

• Like 5

The three in build so far are planned to be finished as follows:

GR.1 Original green/dark sea grey/light aircraft grey - OOB decals

GR.3 Wraparound green/dsg, with probably Aztec decals for a Belize flight machine

GR.3 Falklands wraparound green/dsg, possibly with roundels painted out

I have another GR.3 in the stash, and for it I'm thinking this:

33539573703_f9d088b2a5_c.jpgHarrier Gr3 - Arctic Scheme by Stevie Beats, on Flickr

• Like 1

This next pair of images are special to me, since they were taken at Middle Wallop. If, as I suspect, this was the air display, then 14 year old me was in the crowd, being wowed by the jet that could fly backwards!

10478061125_184f12345b_c.jpgXV758 BAe Harrier GR.3, Royal Air Force, AACC Middle Wallop, 7 July 1984 by Kev Slade, on Flickr

10478220783_d64970ac70_c.jpgXV758 BAe Harrier GR.3, Royal Air Force, AACC Middle Wallop, 7 July 1984 by Kev Slade, on Flickr

To think that I was 06/24 Minor's age. Tempus fugit indeed.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Was there only one air display at Middle Wallop? If so, I too was there!

Ian 

I am sure that Middlle Wallop was annual, reckon I was there 84 or 85.  Went down from Chippenham on my Suzuki X-1 49cc motorbike.  I remember driving up the hilll at Shaftesbury was fun.

8 hours ago, 06/24 said:

The three in build so far are planned to be finished as follows:

GR.1 Original green/dark sea grey/light aircraft grey - OOB decals

GR.3 Wraparound green/dsg, with probably Aztec decals for a Belize flight machine

GR.3 Falklands wraparound green/dsg, possibly with roundels painted out

I have another GR.3 in the stash, and for it I'm thinking this:

33539573703_f9d088b2a5_c.jpgHarrier Gr3 - Arctic Scheme by Stevie Beats, on Flickr

I am considering this scheme for my Airfix GR3, but am worried how best to do the distemper white. Will need some careful masking 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Was there only one air display at Middle Wallop? If so, I too was there!

Ian 

5 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

I am sure that Middlle Wallop was annual, reckon I was there 84 or 85.  Went down from Chippenham on my Suzuki X-1 49cc motorbike.  I remember driving up the hilll at Shaftesbury was fun.

Think Middle Wallop was every other year, alternating with Greenham. For reasons lost in the mists of time, we never went to Greenham, even though it was nearer home, but went to Middle Wallop several times. The highlight of course being the mass ambush by the AAC choppers which snuck out into the surrounding countryside and then all popped up at once, ostensibly to demonstrate their effectiveness, but largely I suspect because it was damn good fun.

I didn't miss out on too much not going to Greenham. Living in Basingstoke meant we saw a lot of the display aircraft transiting to or from the show. Two RAF pilots stationed at Odiham lived in our street, one each from the Puma and Wessex community, and I remember being taken to the family day there as a guest. I also remember the Wessex driver landing in the fields at the back of our house one time, and then one day a Puma came to visit our primary school (so this must have been before 1981?) and we all got to clamber inside :) happy happy days...

Having found the photos, I've ordered decals to do XV758, just need to find a source for the "J" tail code letter...

• Like 3