The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

• 2 weeks later...

While the paint is drying on the Blenheims, I wanted something else to do that wasn't a serious or involved build. Et voila, I give you the Novo (ex-Frog) DH. 88 Comet.

28077265889_48f863c99a_c.jpgDH. 88 Comet by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38957756935_9a57999bfd_c.jpgDH. 88 Comet by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Starboard fuselage mould is damaged:

25983403718_368739788b_c.jpgDH. 88 Comet by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Interior was nonexistent:

38957754605_4f129b0062_c.jpgDH. 88 Comet by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Replacement may look rough but will be nigh on invisible!

• Like 4

Indeed! I was thinking more in terms of creating characters but you're quite right, I think it's really rather splendid they modelled them both. Such a shame the seated pilots figures are pygmies!

Excuse for a gratuitous pre-war beauty photo...

34506664266_1b6a943a0e_c.jpgDe Havilland DH 88 Comet G-ACSS Shuttleworth Collection Old Warden 07/05/17 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

• Like 5

Yes, I love the look of the SBS kit but it's rather more expensive than this four quid bargain, and I'm not sure my meagre skills would do the SBS resin justice, Happy to bodge one from this inexpensive starting point, really as a bit of fun more than a serious build. 

If if anyone has a spare set of decals, let me know please. 

• Like 1

Not a bad idea Ced, I might give it a try. I did find one fictional example in a Tintinesque Dutch bande dessinee about an Aviatrix called January Jones (really, and apparently pre-dating the charming young lady from Mad Men) which is basically the red one without the name and with the number reversed to 43.

Anyway, before my airbrush refused to play (see from Failure to Failure for details) I did get a satin black witness coat on the top of the Comet. Once it's dry I can give everything a final fill and polish before I decide on a top coat colour.

39847139412_fd67197eb3_c.jpgWitness coat by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

I'm away visiting my elderly mum for a couple of days of diy and dutiful son tasks. Mrs 06/24 and Minor are back home, so I thought I might need to amuse myself in the evening. On th way down I bought an Airfix starter set and a few basic tools, thinking I would use them to demonstrate at the office modelling competition I'm running next month.

However, left to my own devices I couldn't resist seeing how far I could get with the minimal, basic tool kit competitors will have.

So, I set to work, on my Mum's kitchen table, probably for the first time in almost forty years...

39033653605_db2d8d15a8_c.jpgAirfix Old Skool! by jongwinnett, on Flickr

One thing has changed, my taste in fizzy pop ;)

28151872349_65e97e62d5_c.jpgAirfix Old Skool! by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

Bit more progress:

39900921282_0f3653430b_c.jpgHarrier GR1 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Maybe not as quick as @CedB's P-39 but this newish Airfix mould is a joy to put together, even with the very limited tools I have here.

For reasons I can't really explain, this seems to have progressed far more quickly and easily than the GR3 I started a few months ago. Maybe the deliberately restricted palette and tool kit has allowed me to actually focus on building, rather than the desire for perfection (which we all know isn't really achievable).

So here's the state of play at bedtime:

39900970132_f6a1033c13_c.jpgHarrier by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Cockpit finished (apart from perhaps a pilot or seatbelts); fuselage closed up; wings and tail feathers fitted; and intakes with dropped doors.

And last thing tonight, the pointy end:

39035171685_f149e48ce6_c.jpgHarrier by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The pitot seems very fragile and will probably need to be replaced in due course, but that's for another day.

Hope you'll agree that it's not bad for a couple of hours work?

• Like 8

That is all looking really good Jon. I'm wishing I had a Frog spawn Comet rather than my Airfix one now. :(  Fwiw, Whirlyybird do some alternative decals for G-ACSS in her later schemes for her South African record & as "The Burberry"

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Cheers, I'll need to check Whirlybird out then. I seem to recall their website is, challenging to navigate but I'll give it a go. I've come to the conclusion the Novofrog is nicer, but the canopy (discretely out of sight so far) is not much cop, if I was as talented as @perdu I'd be plunge moulding a replacement but as it is I'll make do with the kit item!

I think the Airfix one could perhaps be improved by excavating the cockpit? 

• Like 1

Another point to note is this is the first time I've used Humbrol's rattle can primer and I have to say I'm impressed, reasonably quick drying, not too smelly, and seems to have shrunk down into the detail well. Generally a "good thing". Whether or not it's any different to their normal spray paints I couldn't say, and I'm nervous in case it reacts with Colourcoats if that's what I use for the top coat, but so far, so good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Another point to note is this is the first time I've used Humbrol's rattle can primer and I have to say I'm impressed, reasonably quick drying, not too smelly, and seems to have shrunk down into the detail well. Generally a "good thing". Whether or not it's any different to their normal spray paints I couldn't say, and I'm nervous in case it reacts with Colourcoats if that's what I use for the top coat, but so far, so good.

Hi Jon,

The Colourcoats will be happy on top of any primer. The thing to be mindful of is rather that Colourcoats won't like the "wet" solvents from another aerosol applied over the top of them.

It's ok if just dusting it on, but aersol solvents are aggressive so it's easy to overdo.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Cheers, I'll need to check Whirlybird out then. I seem to recall their website is, challenging to navigate but I'll give it a go. I've come to the conclusion the Novofrog is nicer, but the canopy (discretely out of sight so far) is not much cop, if I was as talented as @perdu I'd be plunge moulding a replacement but as it is I'll make do with the kit item!

I think the Airfix one could perhaps be improved by excavating the cockpit? 

I've just such an excavation in mind for mine. The canopy is really thick and distorting though so it remains to be seen if it'll make a blind bit of difference

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To go with my Airfix DH.88 I've one of these upgrade sets

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/260085-plastic-passion-72002-dh-88-comet-racer-update-set

I bought mine off eBay a year or so ago. I want to finish to finish mine as Australia Anniversary, one of G-ACSS later disguises, as seen here 

https://sbsmodel.com/model-figure-big/SBS-7006-2/de-havilland-dh-88-comet--australia--full-kit-re-release-1.jpg

Arthur Clouston was a local boy & flew G-ACSS into Omaka, the home of the biennial Classic Fighter. Just over the hill from us. I'll need to print the Aussie Anniversary title as the decals I have are for The Orphan from memory.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

More kitchen table work this morning, I've left the nose unattached so that I have half a chance of getting the pitot home unbroken, but I've ordered a Master brass replacement anyway.

Fuselage seam underneath will require some smoothing, and the Aden pods need a fair bit of cleaning up. By contrast, the Matra pods and tanks went together easily.

25069689137_b7f01b21b4_c.jpgPylons & stores by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Tomorrow is the demo build at work. Having built the Harrier by accident, I've selected a Jet Provost as my demo build. In preparation I've sprayed the cockpit parts black.

Meanwhile my retro Harrier has progressed, although, had I been thinking, I would have left the stores unattached, but in the spirit of being a ten year old, I didn't! :P

39941329572_fb037bdbb9_c.jpg1/72 Airfix Harrier GR.1 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

It needs a good clean to remove the sanding dust, and I'm brewing some gloop (TM @CedBand a few dozen others) to try out on one or two rough patches. 

• Like 5