1:24th Typhoon "Car Door"

This is Airfix's kit of the Typhoon.
Apart from the firing wires for the rockets, it is built completely out of the box.
It is a complex build, due to its size, and the impressive level of detail, and there is a bit more flash than expected for such a new kit, otherwise there are no real pitfalls in assembly.
I used Xtracolor enamels for the camouflage colours, and the decals are from the kit as well.

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Thanks for looking ! :)
Angelo.

• Like 53
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

good to see you got the colour right under the rear canopy , many make the mistake of painting this in one of the cameo

colours. 

Fortunately the instructions are quite clear about this, otherwise I would have probably painted it the wrong colour! :)

Thank you all very much for all your comments and compliments, they are greatly appreciated:D

On 01/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, keith in the uk said:

Very nice result , good to see you got the colour right under the rear canopy , many make the mistake of painting this in one of the cameo

colours. :goodjob:

I don't think you can be quite so definite about the fuselage colour under the rear of the canopy - on a 'car-door' Typhoon.  Most were certainly produced with the camouflage colours extended over this part of the fuselage, whereas all the sliding-hood '(bubble-top' if you must) Typhoons did indeed have the area under the canopy (when closed) painted Night (black to most eyes).  No documentary evidence has come to light, and the area is notoriously camera shy, but there are some shots that indicate some of the later 'car-door' aircraft may have had this area in a dark colour, possibly black; maybe a 'field mod'.

CT

Edited by Chris Thomas
Typo
  • Like 1

Bootiful!

I have one of these to do at some point in the far future.....any tips or just read (about 5 times!) the instructions before getting the glue out?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

any tips or just read (about 5 times!) the instructions before getting the glue out?

Most definitely read the instructions lots of times, and take it nice and steady adding all the plumbing to the engine, you will need some long, thin tweezers!

No real pitfalls or dramas otherwise, :)

• Like 1