PK75 Humber MkII Armoured Car

TonyW

Yet another AFV from me! This time it's the PK75 Humber Armoured Car.

A fair bit has already been done, I've been building this one alongside the others and didn't want to crowd the thread.

Here's the progress so far...

It's up to the usual Matchbox standards, well fitting, nicely moulded parts. 

IMG_2760.jpg

A bit of sand and general debris scattered over a spraymount coating...

IMG_2839.jpg

Followed by yet more groundwork plus multiple heavy coats of Humbrol clear in the shell hole.

IMG_2896.jpg

More as it happens.

• Like 14

Wow Tony - what great progress!! 

I did manage to spot this kit in the background of your French Tanks entry and thought that this was perhaps an older build. 

This is a model I'd dearly love to get my hands on, for it appears to be a great and fun way to start this excellent range of Matchbox armour kits. 

You certainly must have a great stash of classic models - thanks for sharing them on here with all of us. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

The Matchbox part of my stash is now pretty much depleted. I've hit the Buy It Now button on a Matchbox kit on ebay to keep the ball rolling though.

It's not a kit that anyone's had a go at yet either. All will be revealed when it arrives.

Tony.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a little cracker Tony,so this next one any chance of a clue?Aircraft,AFV etc.

I'm awaiting the all clear from the GB organisers.

Assuming that is forthcoming, I suppose I could give a clue of some sort. Building up a bit of excitement has a certain appeal though. Think of the way Micheal Jackson used to set the venue up for his Moonwalk routine, and the explosion of wild cheering from the crowd when he broke into it! Something like that is lacking in this GB. 

I may be building this forthcoming kit up a bit too much for my modelling abilities though...  We shall see.  ;)

Tony. 

• Like 1

It’s gotta be the 1/72 Flower Class Corvette then. This has to be the Matchbox jewel of all models, I’ve often thought about buying an original kit, but that would just about confirm my total insanity and in a flash I would be whisked off to the funny farm. 

I for one hope it is. It already gets my GB vote sight unseen.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly it's not to be. A fair decision against by the organisers, that I have no problem with.

. It was going to be a 1.16 scale 1957 Chevrolet convertible.

The problem was that although it's a Matchbox box and instructions, it's origins are with AMT.

Not to worry, I'll find something else to carry on with. It's not like having three to finish at the moment isn't enough!

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 2

Lovely Humber, I made one when I was in about 5th class: an early part of many key years of my young life when making models took precedence over doing homework, leading to a succession of minimum wage jobs in later life.  But with a stash of over 100 kits, I couldn't be richer.

The Humber had the advantage of no tracks... always a bit of an authenticity weak point on small scale armour. The commander figure was also a ripper.

• Like 1

More progress on the Humber...

Assembly completed, detail painting commences. The number of tiny parts is astonishing. The smoke dischargers and light alongside them are minuscule. Matchbox really were ahead of the offerings from Airfix at the time.

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

This one is nearly done now, back to working on the Stranraer and Heyford at that point.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Another GB entry finished!

After hitting the base with a very diluted dark earth colour, I'm finally happy with the sit of the whole thing. It all looked a bit too sandy to me. 

A couple of shots for here, I'll take a few more in the morning and add them to the Gallery.

There's some kind of weird reaction going on with a coat of flat varnish I applied around the crater. White spots are forming. I'll rectify the problem once things are properly dry.

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 9

Well, looks like I spoke too soon, saying it was finished. The crater area is putting up a bit of a fight with me. The white spots were still there this morning. I've had to dig out the varnish/water and start again. Grrr.  The damaged area was quite small though and repairs have been made. Maybe tomorrow it will be done?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ratch said:

Floating/sinking debris :whistle:

Nice idea, the spots just looked wrong though Ratch. The repairs seem to have worked so far. I'll give the water areas another coat of clear this morning and, assuming all's well, the model is finished. Pictures to follow.

Well. This one is starting to annoy me now. I gave the crater a heavy coat of Humbrol gloss varnish last night, followed by another this morning. The base was sat on a radiator to dry out after each coat. Things looked just fine. There was a bit of bare plastic showing on the sides of the crater, where I had removed the old finish. I gave this area and the rest of the crater walls a coat of Humbrol matt clear from a brand new 125ml bottle. Coming back to the base just now, the bloody varnish has bloomed!!! There's a chalky white finish to the thing now.

It looks like the matt varnish is suspect. I'm only glad I found out on this tiny area and not after clearcoating my Stranraer for instance!!

Oh well, the bells just rung for Round Six, best I get back in the ring...

• Like 1