Need advice on emphasizing panel lines

CasualModel98

Hi, need some advice.

I paint all my aircraft models in Mr.Hobby color which is thinned with Mr.Leveling thinner. It is not water based.

I then put on a coat of Klear. However when I use Mr.Hobby Weathering Color WC01 for the panel lines, the weathering color always stain the paint. No matter what I try I cannot wipe off the pin marks or they leave a dark stain in the surrounding areas. I want the stain to be just on the panel lines but end up messing up the paint job.

Am I using the wrong combination of base paint and weathering paint? What type of weathering medium should I use with MrHobby color?

Thanks.

Don't use Klear. Keep it for the floors.

Use a product made for scale modelling like Mr Color GX supper clear or alclad klear kote gloss.

Wait at least 24 hours for the varnish to dry (or more if you live in a wet climate), and then apply the weathering medium.

Edited by Pameinos

How the weathering medium reacts with the varnish would depend of course on what it (the weathering product) contains. I assume it's an enamel based product similar to Mig or AK weathering washes. To present a contrary opinion to that above, I've used a Klear equivalent (Alclad Aqua Gloss) with no problems using such weathering products. To wipe them off you will need to use a small amount of white spirit, either on a brush or paper towel or similar.

The alternative would be to use a water based weathering product such as water based artists colours or Ultimate Weathering washes.

regards,

Jason