Revell 2018

Der Lingener

I have recently published the news by Revell for Autumn 2017 and the first quarter 2018:

http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/die-revell-neuheiten-herbst-2017-und-1-quartal-2018/

Sorry for the long introduction, but I tried to explain, why Revell lays their focus on Level 1 and level 2 kits in 2018 - which, of course, does not necessarily mean that they won´t surprise us with some really stunning news ...
On January 1st I will be able to reveal the news for Mai to December 2018. But not yet, unfortunately.

I´ll keep you updated.
But rest assured: There are some really interesting new tool kits!

Michael

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Der Lingener said:

Salut Sofieanne,

1:144 aircraft? Definitely! And a "big" surprise too ...

;)

Big scale or just big...?

Are they finally doing that 1/32 Do 17Z maybe...

or a P-38, 

Or a 1/48 Vulcan ....?

This 1/32 Ju88A-4 with lights and working props in the new "Revell Technik" range looks interesting! 

As does a 1/72 Texan T-6G, which 'may' be a new tool? - still no proper Harvard though. 

Revell-00452-Junkers-Ju-88A-4-Revell-Tec

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This 1/32 Ju88A-4 with lights and working props in the new "Revell Technik" range looks interesting! 

As does a 1/72 Texan T-6G, which 'may' be a new tool? - still no proper Harvard though. 

While the Technik kits look interesting the prices don't . The UK RRP for the 1/32 Ju 88A-4 is £159.99.

10 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

Thanks!

For me:

822512Revell03900EurofighterTyphoonRAF.j

463255Revell03908HawkerHunterFGA9.jpg

I'll wait  January 1st for the rest then!

Hope they'll make new 1/144 aircrafts (apart from the A320/321NEO already announced)

A 58 Squadron Hunter F.6A/FGA.9 would be a welcome addition! 

Yet another missed opportunity :( ?? 

Let's just hope Revell have got wind of someone else releasing a new tool and (as always happens) they're just trying to cash in on all the excitement with whatever mould they can lay their hands on. 

Optimistic - I know. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I wonder why Revell and Airfix are talking about declining model makers market and at the same time we have a boom of new kit manufacturers from Central and Eastern Europe and from Asia with really nice highly detailed and complex kits that are distributed through channels exclusively aimed at skilled modellers? 

The list of new players with long-run or high-quality short-run kits:

- Arma Hobby

- Avantgard

- Tan Models

- Wolfpack

- Mikro-Mir

- Brengun

- Meng

- Tarangus

- revived KP + new technology AZ kits

- new level of Special Hobby long run kits

- BPK

- RV Aircraft

- Modelsvit

- S&M plastic kits

- After all Eduard entered market of skilled model makers with excellent quality models.

Are all they appearing on a declining market??? Maybe Revell should better do well-researched new tools instead of repacking ancient 1978 Heller kit of Texan?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

I wonder why Revell and Airfix are talking about declining model makers market and at the same time we have a boom of new kit manufacturers from Central and Eastern Europe and from Asia with really nice highly detailed and complex kits that are distributed through channels exclusively aimed at skilled modellers? 

- Arma Hobby

- Avantgard

- Tan Models

- Wolfpack

- Mikro-Mir

- Brengun

- Meng

- Tarangus

- BPK

- RV Aircraft

- Modelsvit

- S&M plastic kits

- After all Eduard entered market of skilled model makers with excellent quality models.

Are all they appearing on a declining market??? Maybe Revell should better do well-researched new tools instead of repacking ancient 1978 Heller kit of Texan?

Where have Airfix or Revell said that?

15 minutes ago, snowen250 said:

Where have Airfix or Revell said that?

I'm afraid its true. 

Concentrating just on Revell, if you translate the OP's link from German to English it pretty much spells out Revell's outlook.

If I got this right, they are also concentrating on R/C kits in order to diversify (my words) their profit margins.

Revell realise that their current plastic kit market are (us) 40-50 year olds, however need to grow their young supporter base in order to be around in years to come.

Well - that's what Google Translator came back with, and this is my interpretation of it.

I think @Dennis_Chas got a good point - I thought this was the 2nd golden age of plastic modelling, so what's with Revell's dire outlook?

Cheers.. Dave    

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

- Arma Hobby

- Avantgard

- Tan Models

- Wolfpack

- Mikro-Mir

- Brengun

- Meng

- Tarangus

- BPK

- RV Aircraft

- Modelsvit

- S&M plastic kits

The thing is that most of those companies operate on a business model that can make them profitable with relatively small sales. The whole concept of a short run manufacturer is based on the capability of producing kits with a smaller initial investment so that small production can still return such investment. Some of the companies mentioned in this list don't even make models, they just supply the information and sell the kits with their brand while paying others to do CADs, moulds and pull plastic parts.

A company like Revell operate with a different business model and they have totally different costs that require large productions to be covered. In return the modeller gets the kit at a much more accessible price (most kits from the companies mentioned above cost way more than a typical Revell or Airfix kit) and can hope to get the model even if he/she missed the first and only batch of say 3,000 pieces.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm afraid its true. 

Concentrating just on Revell, if you translate the OP's link from German to English it pretty much spells out Revell's outlook.

If I got this right, they are also concentrating on R/C kits in order to diversify (my words) their profit margins.

Revell realise that their current plastic kit market are (us) 40-50 year olds, however need to grow their young supporter base in order to be around in years to come.

Well - that's what Google Translator came back with, and this is my interpretation of it.

I think @Dennis_Chas got a good point - I thought this was the 2nd golden age of plastic modelling, so what's with Revell's dire outlook?

Cheers.. Dave    

apologies then! I just looked at the pictures! 

Airfix however I don't believe have said that...

18 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

Thanks!

For me:

822512Revell03900EurofighterTyphoonRAF.j

463255Revell03908HawkerHunterFGA9.jpg

I'll wait  January 1st for the rest then!

Hope they'll make new 1/144 aircrafts (apart from the A320/321NEO already announced)

Agree, be nice to see them produce some more in 1/144, even if it's the cheaper/easier option of variations on existing kits, F-15e for example has been tooled in a way to allow for an F-15c to be produced but as yet hasn't arrived.  I'm also desperate for the tornado Gr1 to be re-released as I can't find them anyway now.  Would love to see a 1/144 hawk T1 😁

Whatever they do please include better decal options, only including one option which is usually a special scheme doesn't allow for building several of a kit.  Can't just rely on the aftermarket for decals in this scale! (talking about small military jets obviously, the airliner guys are well covered by Am) 

Edited by phantomphan92

Nice to see some new stuff coming through of note:

1/72 PT Boat will be good

1/350 Platinum Tirpitz

The Flower Class with lights and sound sounds a bit gimmicky, but may appeal to the RC modelers

New 1/72 Spit Mk V (Might be in the flying legends boxing)

The Camel/SE5A Double decker - I presume is a 2 kit boxing of the Eduard kits?

Going back to the stagnate market comment, I imagine its referring to the gross turnover for the hobby, yes we have lots of new makers and a good variety of kits coming to the market, but if the overall demand remains stagnant, it will make it harder for each manufacturer to keep or grow their share of the market.

Look forward to seeing what is lined up on the 1st Jan reveal.

Cheers Rich

Does anyone know the provenance of the 1/48th Hunter? Re-pop of the Italeri/Academy kit or genuine new tool? I would guess mould sharing with Italeri but a new, accurate Hunter would be very welcome, especially if it was the precursor of a family. I have to say that I was hoping Airfix would do the Hunter though!

Simon

• Like 1