Over the wire (and into the darkness) UPDATED!

• 3 weeks later...

Trench depths varied all over the front and if it was a relatively new trench dug forward for a jumping off point, it might not be as deep Of course, it also wouldn't have duck boards and other niceties, so whatever. Also, the Somme did not start in rainy weather. Mud is what it is known for, but the initial assault was done in dry weather. The rain came later. 

Great job on an evocative little dio. If only those poor blighters had know what they were up against. 50,000 casualties in one day. I don't know if I could have stood it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John_drummer said:

I never though i’d see NMA referenced in a model making forum. Nice to see family on here 

Same to you John, we're not the only two either :-)

I love that song and the sentiment behind it!

I only came back to the hobby when I started building kits with my boys, got hooked again!! Ive always had bit of an inner conflict on being 100% behind the values of NMA and an interest in military stuff, but I was born into an RAF family so its always been there.

I have massive respect for people who have served the country, it just the people making the decisions that sometimes need questioning but better not get into politics here lol!!

Do you still go to gigs?

Cheers

Simon

Cheers for the kind words Simon & gamevendor.

And you're right, horrendous slaughter - I guess one tiny bit of good came out of it in that at least the British Army tried to learn from it in WW2 and not make the same mistakes again.

Cheers

Simon

I do occasionally - last one I went to was York in November 2015 - but i caught the bug early, Nov ‘82 at Bradford uni. Even had the privilege of opening for them once, again at Bradford, think it was ‘88. Got to know Robert & Stuart and some of the crew quite well as we used to go to the same pubs & nightclubs when they weren’t touring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_drummer said:

I do occasionally - last one I went to was York in November 2015 - but i caught the bug early, Nov ‘82 at Bradford uni. Even had the privilege of opening for them once, again at Bradford, think it was ‘88. Got to know Robert & Stuart and some of the crew quite well as we used to go to the same pubs & nightclubs when they weren’t touring 

Great stuff!

I was a bit later, first gig was Exeter in '85 most recent Norwich last year. I saw them in Bradford Uni in 88 - what band did you drum for?

Apologies to everybody else for going off topic :D

On 07/01/2018 at 10:27 PM, John_drummer said:

I played for Seven Dead Americans, we were on first, then I think Psychosurgeons. Someone spilt a beer on the lighting desk during our set so we had to play in the dark! Quickly fixed but ever so slightly disorientating ;-)

Happy days :-)

I must have been at that gig then as I remember the Phsyco surgeons supporting - thats the only time i've seen NMA in thier home town!

• 2 weeks later...