Airfix 1:72 Lightning F6

matto21

24 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but the F3,F6 and T5 Lightning's had grey cockpits the other marks were black. There was a large area on the fuselage (under the wing root) that was left NMF. We had to inspect that area for cracks on a before and after flight servicing's. 

What was that NMF area for?

The NMF area under the wing root was known as the "stress panel" it was also the area where the "centre section" (where the wings were Joined) drains were, there was a acceptable leak rate for this area. The stress panel was seen on the Grey/green and grey schemes.

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 2

Today's progress has been about trying to get this bird on her own feet.

The gear legs (complete with annoying butt jointed parts) are drying elsewhere but the hubs look great with a wash to highlight the detail. I'll paint the tyres tomorrow!

IMG_20180121_222312227_zpsrfihppcb.jpg

Matt

• Like 2

Looks like mk 3 or mkT5  brake units to me. The F6 had more of a square casting to them.  just a note I spotted today that Tamiya magazine has a feature on a 1:48 scale F6 build with the No2 engine exposed.   

43 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Awesome. Nice to see her on those pins. B) great work. Were the UC doors as much of a stab in the dark to fit as the 1/48 ones? 

I haven't actually fitted the doors yet but I'm not expecting great things fit wise!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...