Airfix 1:72 Lightning F6

matto21

Although the repairs I've made to the internal bits are reasonable, I think I'm going to use the intake ring cover to hide everything. I didn't really want to use this but needs must.

On a positive note, it does mean I can fill the intake up with more lead shot!

Matt

2 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Win!

Have you contacted Airfix? Their C.U.R.D. (Cock Up Rescue Department) can usually turn round some new bits in a matter of days.

Too late - I've already glued the intake into one of the fuselage sides. 

C.U.R.D - good acronym! 

Edited by matto21
Spelling!

The fit of the forward fuselage around the intake trunking can be fixed by filing the trunking outside surface flat. I'm guessing this is due to an attempt to get the fuselage width and intake bore correct while maintaining a robust gauge of material.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

The fit of the forward fuselage around the intake trunking can be fixed by filing the trunking outside surface flat. I'm guessing this is due to an attempt to get the fuselage width and intake bore correct while maintaining a robust gauge of material.

That's the approach I took...plus brute force!

• Like 1

Finally got some paint in the cockpit and applied a wash and some light drybrushing.

Of course, when I dryfitted everything, the fuselage sides fitted well. Now I've actually glued the intake and cockpit in, the fit is terrible!

IMG_20171209_222604705_zpstwhfcalk.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hate when that happens. I usually benefit from a streak of "beginner's luck" in my modelling, and find that dry fitting often negates it in this fashion - making every dry fit a role of the dice.

The cockpit looks great though, and I'm sure you'll get the fuselage together successfully.

• Like 1

Yep, that brings it back! I had to trim a load off the side of the instrument panel. And after all of the effort involved I did mine pilot in & canopy down, so you can't actually see anything anyway.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 1

After a lot of filling and sanding, I'm about ready to start painting. First job was to mask off the cockpit aperture - I truly hate doing this:

IMG_20171217_193820841_zpsicnxlebx.jpg

With priming I'm going for a mid way point between panel line shading and black basing. I've tried both - this way hopefully I'll get some of the contrast but with less airbrush effort! I've used Stynylrez for the first time here.

IMG_20171217_215528327_zpsbwucytzo.jpg

Matt

• Like 2

Oops  I meant to follow your build but mustn’t have clicked the button. :huh: I’m tagging along now if that’s ok?

it seems like you’re having the same fit issues as my 1/48 one. Great save with the wheel well and fuselage.:clap2:

nice start on the paint too.

bravo sir.

johnny.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm about halfway through the decalling process now - there are a lot of them!

IMG_20180114_152428812_zpsfj2i3p9z.jpg

Hopefully this photo shows the shaded underside better than the previous ones I'd managed.

IMG_20180114_152507511_zpsbiejhpan.jpg

I'll have to do a bit of respraying because Mr Mark Softer ate through the paint!

IMG_20180114_152658833_zpshp6npuo0.jpg

Matt

Edited by matto21
  • Like 5

On 17/01/2018 at 6:44 PM, Ratch said:

So what paint did you use?

I found that Humbrol DecalFix reacts similarly with Tamiya paints - as though its too hot :tapedshut:

Using Mr Hobby acrylics and Ammo gloss varnish. 

No big deal, wouldn't be a model of mine if there wasn't some patching up to do!

It's too late for this build, but if you build another and are worried about a tail-sitter, it's practical to clip down the rear bulkhead just sufficiently to blank off the jetpipes. The rear fuselage still goes together well, the jetpipes become a slot-in unit (which gives a better fit, in my experience), plus you've saved a little weight at the back. Apart from in the nose bullet, I squeeze some small split shot into the space between the rear of the nosewheel well and the cockpit bulkhead, and let the principle of moments do the rest.

• Like 1

It looks great, and that cockpit is superb!

I have one of these in my stash, though I'm thinking of doing it grey/green I'm tempted by the all over grey too. It looks quite 'mottled', I'm not sure how to achieve that effect, I've not seen one like that before.

• Like 1

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but the F3,F6 and T5 Lightning's had grey cockpits the other marks were black. There was a large area on the fuselage (under the wing root) that was left NMF. We had to inspect that area for cracks on a before and after flight servicing's. 

• Like 2