Fairey Swordfish.

Artie

Hi all.....while searching for some info about the Stringbags wich saw service during the Malta campaign, my brother Rodrigo came across some interesting pics, where you can notice an auxiliary fuel tank fitted into the observers' post. He's starting a promising project, and needs as much info as possible. Does anybody know the shape of those tanks..??? Any other picture where he could make a starting point and scratch build one..???

TIA and best regards.

P.S. I've tried to insert the above mentioned pics, but haven't got any idea of how to do so....:rage:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Artie

1 hour ago, neilh said:

And if you are building in 1/48th, MDC produce one in resin that is a drop fit.

Well, it's actually my brother who's planning to build the Stringbag....he's planning to build a complete series of planes wich saw action during the Malta campaigns...a challenging Enterprise, IMHO...

Cheers...

I wish him luck with a 1/48 Curtiss CW20 (Commando), or is he not considering the vital air transport links?  Lodestars and Hudsons, plus transport versions of the Whitley and Wellington.  Not forgetting the ubiquitous Liberators, but probably omitting lots of others.

Hi, Graham. A Curtiss Commando would be a nice one in any collection....needless to say, in 1/48 scale it would be a dream....!!!

I think Rodrigo is going to set his own limits to mainstream subjects...well, just a bizarre one in his plans, in the shape of a Latecoere 298 seaplane....and some italian birds...

Cheers....

Sorry for the lateness, but, seahawk is correct about the Airfix Swordfish having the tank included. They are Parts 8C and 9C, on Frame C(obviously). They are not mentioned in the instructions. The best conclusion is that Airfix anticipated the aftermarket to include the versions that used the fuel in the observer's position. Somebody there is thinking ahead!

Joe

Graham, the kit, No.A04053, does have a Taranto attack option; but, the kit instructions do not offer the parts as an option to be used. And, I made an error; Parts 7C and 8C are the fuel tank, not 8C and 9C. Apologies for the mistake. Oh, this does not mean that the fuel tank couldn't be used for an aircraft used in "Operation Judgement". Just for the option offered by the kit(though maybe?). And, for other boxings of this by Airfix, it could well be used.

Joe

The aircraft involved in Op JUDGEMENT were in various configurations.  I believe that the aircraft carrying torpedoes used the tank in the observer's position, the rest, carrying bombs and or flares underwing, carried the circular section fuel tank (parts 18D and 19D) in the otherwise vacant torpedo crutches.  The aircraft featured in the original A04053 release (K8393 E5A) was a bomber and did not require the fuselage tank.  However the Taranto option included in the latest reboxing A04053A (L4M) was a torpedo carrier and does.