AK RealColors - NATO

GazB

Ahoy all, I have a question.

I've just purchased the RealColors NATO set and I'm wondering how suitable they are for U.S. vehicles. As we know, Tamiya does the three colours as well, which I normally use. 

The reason I ask is because in the past I'd heard there was a slight difference between the U.S. version of the tri-colour scheme, and say the German one. Looking at the paint codes on the NATO set, they aren't FS numbers but RAL, and they look a bit duller/darker than the Tamiya equivalent. A Wikipedia search IDs the green as RAL 6031-F9 'Bronze Green', the brown as RAL 8027-F9 'Leather Brown' and the black as RAL 9021-F9 'Tar Black', and mentions these were specifically a Bundeswehr combination.

So would these ones still be accurate for U.S. vehicles, which often appear brighter, or more suited for the likes of the Bundeswehr?

Cheers,

Gaz

Hello

I do not think those colors are exactly the same.

RAL 6031 is Bronze green.

Its FS equivalent is given as 34077 or 34079 here:

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101h.html#

But Green for Nato colors in Federal Standard is FS34094

After that, whit scale effect and weathering, maybe this set could be usable for US vehicle...

cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rom1 said:

Hello

I do not think those colors are exactly the same.

RAL 6031 is Bronze green.

Its FS equivalent is given as 34077 or 34079 here:

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101h.html#

But Green for Nato colors in Federal Standard is FS34094

After that, whit scale effect and weathering, maybe this set could be usable for US vehicle...

cheers

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The colours seem very similar to the Revell NATO colour callouts I used years ago, and they had a much duller/faded appearance to them. Further searching found Vallejo colours that put both the FS and RAL numbers on, saying they're the same, but they're not. 

But overall, this set looks like a more faded version of the U.S. NATO scheme. I've actually sent an email to AK to ask about which scheme they based their colours off of. The green looks a bit brighter than the Tamiya one in the bottle, but when I did a quick test paint, it appeared to be darker. The colours don't appear to be accurate to the American scheme. Maybe German and others, but from the pics I've seen of U.S. vehicles, it does not appear correct.

Thanks for the reply :)

Gaz