1-24 Centaur from MasterBox

Kallisti

As soon as I saw this new release from MasterBox, I knew I had to have a go at it :) I'm not normally a "figure painter", although I have done quite a few dioramas which included figures, but I don't consider myself a figure painter in the same league as some of the figures I've seen painted at shows and on here. Never mind, we all have our specialities and it can be good to break out from one's comfort zone once in a while.

Anyway this is the kit:

DSC_9303.JPG

It turns out to be about 3.5" tall and has some lovely detail. The patterns on the shields are well reproduced and the facial features are nicely done. The hair and tail are a bit heavy, but that isn't uncommon when trying to represent hair in plastic!

I added a base case from plaster of paris and painted it with a combination of Tamiya, Mr Colour metallics, AK Interactive leather colours, Vallejo flesh tones and some oils for fine details. I'd recommend pinning the tail as its not a good joint. The head joint to the neck can also be a bit tricky, particularly as I assembled the head and hair before attaching it to the body. The shoulder guards should be added first and they needed some thinning down for it all to  fit comfortably.

I added some wire for the attachment of the sword scabbard to the "saddle" at the back and of course a bow string made from cotton. The armour panels so well to cover most of the joint of the human torso to horse body, but even still some filler was needed at the very front. The horse body comes in two halves and needs filler along the joint, particularly along the back where it is most visible.

Here are the close up photos...

DSC_9298.JPG

DSC_9301.JPG

DSC_9300.JPG

DSC_9302.JPG

All in all it was a fun thing to build and paint.

Edit: of course now I've posted these photos I've realised that there should be a leather pad on the inside of her bow arm to protect it fromthe bowstring. You can see it in the original box artwork, but I missed this subtle moulding on the arm...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 9