RAF Cottesmore TTTE Tornado GR1 ZA355 from the Revell Luftwaffe 2014 ECR tigermeet kit by a complete novice..

Just can't make this into the picture on the box. It has to end up green and grey!!!fe

Here's a couple of bits started so far.

The general idea in my head is to finish with something that may have been flying around my home patch of North Northants back in the 80's. So maybe something from Cottesmore Tornado Training to keep a tentative link with the luftwaffe version the box is supposed to be.

PSX_20171127_191344

PSX_20171128_044231

Edited by nikkita katana
posted by accident before adding any details or pics. It's late LOL!!
  • Like 5

If it's got the LRMTS fairing (Laser Ranger and Marked Taget Seeker) under the starboard side of the nose it can become a GR. Mk. 1.  I've an idea that the ventral "shoulder" pylons (those under the fuselage closest to the wheel bays) differ between RAF and European Tornados but I'm sure someone who knows more and better than I will be along soon.

• Like 1

So the learning curve continues........

Now the contents of the box did have 2 sets of instrument panels, but to be perfectly honest I have no idea exactly what instruments should be where for a gr1.

I guess the 2 sets has something to do with revell having made a 1/32 gr1 kit before??

This was todays starting point with a bit of a "chop shop" on the front panel.

PICT3522

The decals are certainly not a proper fit for the 2 top pieces here that I've used and are far from perfect but after fitting them I did work out that I could have more areas black before fixing them on and could have cut each dial individually. So lesson learnt there. I was rather delighted that the warning decals for top of seats were "danger" and not achtung though. :)

Anyway, here's where I'm up to right now.

PSX_20171129_231234

PSX_20171129_230955

I think as a first attempt at anything with ejection seats and lots of switches I'm quite happy so far.

The idea of a Cottesmore TTTE plane, albeit with some inaccuracies, is definitely a strong possibility and the particular plane I have in mind is za355 (B-54 ??)

There's no LRMTS in the kit so that bit might be something to sort out much, much later with a tub of putty and spare bits of anything clear. :D

I wouldn't have a clue what any differences would be on the weapons pylons so if anyone has any ideas where some info could be found that'd be cool ta.

I'd never have guessed waiting for paint to dry could be so much fun!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikkita katana said:

The idea of a Cottesmore TTTE plane, albeit with some inaccuracies, is definitely a strong possibility and the particular plane I have in mind is za355 (B-54 ??)

There's no LRMTS in the kit so that bit might be something to sort out much, much later with a tub of putty and spare bits of anything clear. :D

I wouldn't have a clue what any differences would be on the weapons pylons so if anyone has any ideas where some info could be found that'd be cool ta.

Try asking  in the Cold War http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/24-cold-war/

or Modern http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/25-modern/  sections

I don't even know  what era this represents,   but if you ask in either, someone will,  often ex service personel.

Explain what you want, eg  "Cottesmore TTTE , za355, changes to Revell kit"  or such like,  link back  to this,  and I'm sure you will get your answers,   though be prepared for getting chapter and verse.... you may want to add that you'd like to be more accurate, but  not at the expense of your sanity

.... though being here is often the sign of a slippery grip of sanity anyway.... :rolleyes:

neat work,   note for a effective wash

http://barracudacals.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/how-to-paint-resin-seat-with-molded-in.html

To really pop out the detail and bring the belts to life, a wash is now applied using my patented ,exclusive, super secret, never-before-seen-on-TV Future Wash.  This is the best was I've ever used on detail areas. It works wonders in gearbays and cockpits and wheel hubs and the like. Its not good for external panel washes, though.

Mix 1 part Future floor wax (now called Pledge Floor Care and by other brand names such as Johnson's Klear overseas.) with 1 part water. Add a small amount of Acrylic black paint (I use Vallejo) and stir to make a very pale wash. Try it on some test pieces. Flood the area with the wash and watch it collect in corners, creating subtle gradated shadows when it dries. The advantage is that the pigment never breaks up like enamel washes do. Experiment with the concentration til you find what works for you. If its too subtle. Go back and apply a second coat once the first has dried.

used carefully on the cockpit and gear legs it makes detail 'pop'

experiment on something first though...

HTH

if the kit is a German tornado and you want to build it as GR1, then the Ferranti system below the nose will have to be replaced, unless the kit has both? i had the same issue years back, when i bought a german tornado thinking i can build it as a Brit one, but finally decided to get a proper GR1 kit . i had lots of fun building that GR1 Tornado - Desert Storm

Edited by shan

Can't state an exact year but fairly sure Tornados started roaring past school while I was still  there and I left in '84. According to google RAF Cottesmore had them from '81 onwards and probably nearest base to home back then. That tail fin and the noise was something else to an impressionable teenage girl with a love of engineering. :D

The school was on top of a hill and they always looked seriously low.

Probably got the Harriers buzzing past from Wittering around the same time too.

Errrm how would I do a link? Is that something dead simple like copy this page address and paste it to a thread somewhere else?

• Like 1

Not got anywhere near a nose yet. All I know is there's an option fix it or leave it swung open.

I can say which Revell kit it is tho. It's the 2014 tigermeet no. 04923.

If bits have to be a little wrong I can live with it. Just happened that I got this one within budget and a proper gr1 off ebay was looking about twice the price.

34 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

Errrm how would I do a link? Is that something dead simple like copy this page address and paste it to a thread somewhere else?

yep,  copy and paste the address bar.  

For a specific post there is a number, this is #10,  and to the left a little >  symbol,  which if you hover the mouse says "share this post"  copy and paste that.

Ask in the Cold War section.   As it's getting to winter you'll be bound get a nice anorak :D

8 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-GR1/2135131

Is it ok to post this link to a page where a pic of the particular plane is?

links are fine, (as long as not to something dodgy) 

the general rule is no copyrighted photos,  Airliners.net is one not to post pictures from specifically (there is a thread on this)

8 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

Oooops!!!

Sorry.

how do I go about removing that one then?

no need,  you posted a link, not the actual picture, that's fine.   Hotlinking the pic is not.(if you paste the pic url in it will display)

But, for reference,  at the bottom of each post is a line, starting "quote"  your will have an "edit", just click that and edit away.

Note,  if you click 'edit' and then  'full  edit'   you can edit the thread heading.....  you could add "Tornado"  to this one that way.

• nikkita katana changed the title to Box says "Tornado ECR tigermeet", heart says "yeah but can it pretend to be an RAF GR1?" :)
4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Note,  if you click 'edit' and then  'full  edit'   you can edit the thread heading.....  you could add "Tornado"  to this one that way.

Ok cool.

Is that a better title?

6 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

Ok cool.

Is that a better title?

Ah, now that is subjective isn't it.....  OK, smug mode off....

It's certainly clearer as to what  you are building,  as when looking at the forum the thread title is "The Headline

I think it's more important in the reference areas,  as if you do decided to ask

" "Cottesmore TTTE , za355, changes to Revell kit "  

is not as clear as

"Tornado ZA355, at Cottesmore TTTE, changes to Revell kit ECR kit to make GR.1"

which conveys what information you  want at a glance,   a bad thread heading would be "Tornado

or "Tornado ECR kit"  if you see what I mean, and you do  get vague headings like this.

These are suggestions of how to get the best out  of the site for reference,  (from spending way too much time on here myself)  but there is an incredible amount of knowledge available here,  but like any other tool,  works  better if you know how to use it.

One last point,  always worth using google (the site search is not very good)  and add "britmodeller"  into the search term,  to check and see if what you want has been asked before,  and worth adding in links near matches as it shows you have tried first.

I use it to find old threads when I know a question has been asked before, or even old ones I've posted in,  which is where unique words help,   in this case "Troy" is useful,  "smith" is not.   Try doing "Britmodeller nikkita"  to see what I mean (katana wasn't a useful term in this case)

I hope this does not come across as a lecture,  just trying to pass on some helpful tips.

cheers

T

• Like 1

• nikkita katana changed the title to RAF Cottesmore TTTE Tornado GR1 ZA355 from the Revell Luftwaffe 2014 ECR tigermeet kit by a complete novice..

And, if I may, The nose leg you have is for a Tornado (aka Tonka or Fin) that would have two control sticks, i.e. a trainer.

We had a few of those at  TTTE. But as you are building one with a Navigator in the back then all you need to 

do is remove one of the torque links from the leg. Trouble is I can't remember which one!

Have a look at other Tonka builds and pictures and it should become obvious.

There's a lot of talk about pylons and laser markers , Cottesmore Tornados were flown clean. How are you going to do the markings ? As far as I know there's no 32nd TTTE  decals out there. 

Mid 80s those were the days, I live 12 miles from cottesmore  and used to bike up there with my mate Gordon and watch them coming  in to land from the Viking way. Now it's been renamed Kendrew  barracks and home to the army. 

Torque link being the back pointing bit just above the one that points forward? 

Yep that can go easy enough. 

And  "clean" sounds fabulous :)

As for markings I think the only real option is to sit and carefully cut loads of stencils to spray everything on it. 

Anyone know how long those "no step" labels are in mm for 1/32 scale? 

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

There's a lot of talk about pylons and laser markers , Cottesmore Tornados were flown clean. How are you going to do the markings ? As far as I know there's no 32nd TTTE  decals out there. 

Mid 80s those were the days, I live 12 miles from cottesmore  and used to bike up there with my mate Gordon and watch them coming  in to land from the Viking way. Now it's been renamed Kendrew  barracks and home to the army. 

Yes TTTE flew clean aircraft, so no need for any pylons....

Shaun.

These happen to be in the kit. For future reference what aircraft would they be fitted on?

PSX_20171201_144209

And I'm guessing these are the 27mm guns as there's a pair of them (no mention of these in the build instructions, seems the german one has blank panels fitted instead).

PSX_20171201_144129

And as I've not found a single photo anywhere of za355 with a refuelling pod should I leave the fuselage blank?

PSX_20171201_144251

And finally, this lot is also listed in the "do not use" parts on the instructions.

If anyone can identitify again for future reference than that might be useful please :)

PSX_20171201_144040

Great start!

I may be wrong but as far as I’m aware, certainly in the earlier days of the TTTE, I don’t think many of the unit’s RAF Tornadoes has the refuelling probes fitted very often, nor did they have the LRMTS under the nose.

They were generally flown ‘clean’ too, no pylons or stores.

There are always the odd exceptions, but it would be accurate to leave off the probe, seeker and stores for mid-80’s RAF TTTE jets.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

This is a great start

No Nikkita, not the model making but the 'asking sensible questions in the forum'

The brains here in attendance have never let me down in all the years I have relied on them

I am beginning to  like the idea of a TTTE beastie myself, so I will be watching and learning along with you

The clean lines of an uncluttered Tonka are a big draw after all

(And look at all the spare parts for yourspares box, brilliant)