HRH's big chopper

06/24

As Prince Harry goes public with the next chapter of his life, what better day to begin a build reflecting his service career.

This build is the AH-1 Longbow Apache from Academy, which looks both good fun and comprehensive. and yes, @Procopius and @CedB, it's a flying thing, albeit not much in the way of wings, and yes, it marks a return to the gentleman's scale after recent larger excursions.

The model also has another significance, as it was the first online order fulfilled by @Duncan B's BlackMike models. No connection other than as one very satisfied customer.

So what are we building?

26909871229_2b8f001c3e_c.jpgAugusta Westland AH-1 Apache by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38686187411_855e96f44c_c.jpgAugusta Westland AH-1 Apache by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26909871329_e1fbdbacef_c.jpgAugusta Westland AH-1 Apache by jongwinnett, on Flickr

37798115625_055e756acc_c.jpgAugusta Westland AH-1 Apache by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

And clearly a reformed man, if the open goal of the thread title produced nary a word ;)

Wasn't there a joke doing the rounds in the Falklands era about Koo Stark beating the Argentians to it by shooting down Prince Andrew's chopper; never did quite understand that one, perhaps Ced could help me out with a crayon drawing or two to explain!

17 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Suggestions welcome for a colour match...

Anyways on the most important colourmatch theme - which shade of ginger will you be using on the pilots?  

• Haha 2

No crew supplied, my one (minor) criticism of the kit so far. No doubt somebody makes appropriate figures but I'll stick to modelling an empty cab on the rank. And thus avoid any heir (groan) related paint worries.

Anyway, moving swiftly on, progress continues but since it consists of black paint drying is not photogenic!

• Like 1

Spraying out of doors in the cold, damp, dark of a Scottish winter evening is a bit hit and miss. However, I think this will do:

38662392496_a6bf7c345c_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

37830266505_4abbe9e618_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Bit of a bleb on the cockpit coaming but i think it will polish out, or be lost under weathering/detail work

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 10:12 AM, Procopius said:

I believe all Apaches are painted in US FS 34031 Helo Drab, which is sold as a paint by Testors, Xtracolour, Hataka, and MisterPaint.

Apaches in photos seem to look lighter and the Helo Drab is a very dark colour but my expert advisors all agreed it was correct. I built one the hard way so looking forward to seeing your progress.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234921689-wah-64d-apache-172-hobbyboss-armycast/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice interior Jon and lots of little knobs and switches waiting for your usual attention :coolio:

Sadly the Apache cockpit seems to be fairly plain, this is an American but photos I've seen of UK ones were similar:

9904131263_a4a910baa4_c.jpgHughes / McDonnell Douglas / Boeing AH-64 Apache Longbow attack helicopter by Christopher Ebdon, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1