Your view on these colours? Now I need help! :( 08/012/17

RidgeRunner

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oops ..... Sorry but I don't understand, Giorgio.

Martin

Simply for some reason I could get my email on my mobile but I couldn't access them from my laptop. Replying from the mobile is a bit of a pain and it's less easy to attach pictures, so I was waiting til I could resolve the laptop issue before replying... it's all sorted now ! :yes:

• Like 1

All,

I loaded the airbrush today and failed twice. I started by trying the Humbrol 192 thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners. It ended curdling like bad milk and the paint turned to gloopy lumps. I then thought I'd go the Testors route and tried some FS28915 Fluorescent Red with white spirit and the same happened!!!!! What is going on? Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance.

Martin

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Ah, that could make sense. Oddly the Testors reacted in the same way as the Humbrol even though I used different thinners!

Martin

I now see that many people on line quote using lacquer thinners - cellulose thinner. My question now is whether that dissolves plastic? I recall that it does. Any ideas?

Martin

Using these thinners for spraying is usually not much a problem for the plastic, as long as you don't apply a very wet coat. However not all airbrushes can spray this stuff as rubber seals can be damaged by lacquer thinners. Generally good airbrushes have teflon seals and can spray lacquers with no problem but better check if yours can.

Have to say that in the past I sprayed Humbrol fluorescent paints with no problem using a generic synthetic enamel thinner, but it was many years ago and Humbrol probably changed their formula a couple of times in the meantime...

Thanks Giorgui,

it it looks like purchases of MM and Humbrol 192 are wasted as I don't want to run the risk of damage or unhealthy intake! I'll work a compromise with my trusty Humbol 209. I'll give it a whiter undercoat in the hope that it brings a redder hue out.

Martin