Collection of old, unused VEB kits - Question

montella

I recently found an old collection of various VEB civil (and war) aircraft models that haven't been touched.

As far as I'm aware, they are from Soviet era and were produced in Soviet Germany.

However I honestly don't know if they are valuable or not. And if they are, how much would you say they are worth?

I hope this is the right forum and topic.

Pictures are attached below. Thanks in advance!

77HONut.jpg

1SSNJpX.jpg

Wgv7qo3.jpg

loLPXph.jpg

• Like 1

The company was not called just VEB - and they were produced in East Germany, not Soviet Germany (or to be pedantic the German Democratic Republic).  All East German company names began with VEB ( Volkseigener Betrieb ) which means Publicly Owned Corporation.

"Accurate in Outline"?!!  Certainly does not describe any of the ones I had - DC-8, Comet, Trident.  Only vaguely resembled the real thing ie the Trident had 3 engines!

Edited by Groundloop

"VEB" is indeed just a corporate abbreviation like "Ltd" or "Inc." and not the company name. The "pukka name" was Plasticart, but only for some of the company's existence, and it carried other names at different periods -- like KVZ... So, for better or worse, VEB has stuck with many as a generic name for 1/100-scale-mostly-arliner-East-German-kits -- a bit like "hoover"...

I would agree entirely that accuracy, in outline or in any other sense, was never ever a notable (or even un-notable) virtue. Fidelity was like a rather poor version of a bad Heller, in a way... But all this doesn't matter a hoot -- the likely buyer is not a builder, but a collector or a certain age. I sold a similar lot of unbuilt Plasticart kits last April for I dare not say how much in euro. One tip, though -- it pays to look for Russian or East European (including German) collectors, and to dig a tad deeper than the Ebays of this world. Get Google working and in under ten minutes you'd know who to pitch! (I'd also suggest avoiding the one or two Transatlantic jokers who charge upwards of 80 bucks for any bit of plastic predating 1995.)

And a very valuable find you have there, indeed!

The dreadful Il-14 always fetches amazingly high prices, to an extent depending on factors like release date and state of preservation; but always high! The really rather crappy Il-18 also holds surprisingly high value. The Tu-104 is a cracker. The Tu-114 is another cracker. The DC-8 is another... And a Be-6, indeed -- probably the very nicest, most accurate, and most universal (1/72 scale) of all "VEB" kits!

All in all, you don't have almost any dross or also-rans. Western Europe saw ample numbers of Tu-134 and Il-62 imports at different times, and plenty of Tridents for some reason. The Tu-154 was also common-ish (and here I refer to 1980-ish to 1990-ish releases only), but hilariously/notoriously only as a box; inside, there typically lurked an Il-62 (and no, Il-62 boxes did not hide Tu-154s!). The joys of Communist distribution :) 

Good luck!

Edited by skippiebg
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built the Be-6 many moons ago when Mrs H ‘donated’ it to my (then) small son. Not many parts but a fun build. I think I still have the ampule of ‘bio hazard’ glue somewhere!

Interesting collection ^_^

Trevor

• Like 1

I've got their not too bad 1/25 Vostok in the stash. I did build one decades ago and would love to give it another go. I thought it was crude and oversimplified when I first built it. But I've now seen the real thing  and it I can see that it was actually pretty accurate. The 1/1 scale version is genuinely crude and simple.

15 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I've got their not too bad 1/25 Vostok in the stash. I did build one decades ago and would love to give it another go. I thought it was crude and oversimplified when I first built it. But I've now seen the real thing  and it I can see that it was actually pretty accurate. The 1/1 scale version is genuinely crude and simple.

The Plasticart Vostok is a copy of the Revell kit. The styrene they used was extremely hard and brittle and was not responsive to most of the traditional modelling adhesives. It was the only option for a long period when the Revell kit was OoP and fetching high prices on the collector market.

Thomo.

I always wondered what the link was between the Revell and VEB versions of the Vostok. Being a Soviet era device, I always assumed the VEB version came first as I thought that East Germany would have had better access to the originals than the US.

21 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I always wondered what the link was between the Revell and VEB versions of the Vostok. Being a Soviet era device, I always assumed the VEB version came first as I thought that East Germany would have had better access to the originals than the US.

The Revell kit was first available in 1968, the Plasticart one didn't surface until the mid '70s and was not commonly available in the West until the mid '80s. Both arn't overerly accurate. But, the Revell kit is definatley more buildable.

Here is a nice build blog of the Revell kit.

http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/Vostok1/index.htm

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

26 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I wonder how Revell managed to get access to a Vostok in 1968.

They almost certainly didn't get close access to a prototype. I venture it was designed from photographs and what else was in the public domain back then, which included a Vostok on display at the 1967 Paris Airshow -  a lot of kits were developed this way back then.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Yes, is it the same town, but both industies are gone.

Revell made his Wostok spaceship from a model at the USSR Scjience show in Canada in 1968,

The Plasticart kit is different from the Revell issue.

modelldoc

21 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Yes, is it the same town, but both industies are gone.

Revell made his Wostok spaceship from a model at the USSR Scjience show in Canada in 1968,

The Plasticart kit is different from the Revell issue.

modelldoc

The Plasticart Vostok clearly has Revell (ahm..) heritage.

A full size Vostock capsule was on display at the 1967 Paris airshow.

Thomo.

• 3 weeks later...

Some 40-50 years ago I had built all the kits from the 16 boxes visible at your pictures. Moreover there were another 20 or so - they were my first steps into the aircraft modelling world before the Airfix, Heller and Matchbox 1/72 kits appeared behind the Iron Curtain in the mid 70s.  

Beware that (even forgeting the 1:25 Vostok that I have built in 1969, thus it must have appeared before that date) there was no common scale through the series - some kits were done in 1:40 (Czech Aero 45), other in 1:50 (MiG-15), 1:72 (Ju G-24, Su-7B, Tu-2, An-14 and Be-6), 1:75 (An-2), 1:87 (Baade 152, Il-14, Mi-6) and 1:100 (11 from the 16 shown by you above plus: An-12, An-24, Boeing 727-100, Dassault Mercure, HS Trident 2, Il-28, L-60 Brigadyr, L-410 Turbolet, Mi-1, Mi-4, MiG-21F, SAAB Draken, Sud Caravelle, Yak-24P and Yak-40). I know that Scalemates do credit the An-2 with 1:72 and Baade with 1:100 census but the real things look a little bit different :)

As all the friends above have said all these kits are crude, deprieved of detail, made of extremely hard and shiny plastic, sometimes already painted (by manufacturer) silver. The wheels and props were usually made of (gloss of course) black plastic and the decals displayed strong yellowish "transparent" area between the small elements like digits and letters...

I still do have somewhere the boxtops of at least 20 (maybe 30) of them while the models themselves stay still at my dad's home since I left them in 1979 :)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
SE-210 Caravelle omitted in original post
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

... my first steps into the aircraft modelling world ... behind the Iron Curtain ...  

Beware that ... there was no common scale through the series ...

Join the club: Bulgaria in my case, difference being that Airfix, Heller and Matchbox 1/72 kits never did appear there until after 1990... :)

You are right about the lack of a uniform scale. I'd like to add that the Trident is in the railway scale of 1/87th, while the Tu-114 is in the ever-popular (though oddly fitting) 1/114th scale...

None of this scale madness or poor detail matters, of course, because these kits appeal either to nostalgic modellers wishing to revisit their uncritical and existential childhood years, or collectors who won't build them anyway...

12 hours ago, skippiebg said:

I'd like to add that the Trident is in the railway scale of 1/87th, while the Tu-114 is in the ever-popular (though oddly fitting) 1/114th scale...

Here we differ a little, I'm afraid to say :)

First - I'm unable to check the Trident 2E measures now, but if she was made in 1/87 the model should measure 40 x 34cm (35 x 30cm in 1:100). Nevertheless I remember her being much smaller than B727-100 (41 x 33cm). Thus maybe something like 1:96, but surely not 1:87, as used for the Il-14, Baade 152 and Mi-6 kits.

Second - the Tu-114 wrong size follows the data obtainable when the moulds were made. Instruction sheet says length 47 m and span 57 m while in reality these were 54 m and 51 m respectively. And the kit measures exactly 47cm in O/L (1:114) and 57cm in span (1:90). All we know that cutting the wingtips (30mm each side) is easier than adding the 70mm fuselage section, but all other details (i.e. fuselage, wheels and props dia) are almost exactly 1:100.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
cosmetics :)