Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Edit, just noticed that those molded in strengthening strips are depicted on the wing undersides, they should only be on the upper surfaces.

I have a horrible feeling Massimo......from looking back at previous posts, that those strengthening strips are only moulded on the underside, and that you may have the hinge on the wrong side.....the aerofoil section at the hinge certainly makes it look that way...I hope it's just a trick of the camera!

Ian

• Thanks 1

@71chally @limeypilot

Thanks for spotting something which may have to be corrected!

The problem is I don't understand what parts you're referring to.

Following your comments, I double checked the wings , comparing them to the pictures, and found out the position of the locking pins' housings I glued to the middle sections' top,  should be fitted opposite to the hinges on the outer wing sections.

8sDj1i4.jpg

l7YljZu.jpg

I agree with the thickness of the front plates, but I thought to glue them first and sand them down a bit later. I named the upper and lower sides on the pictures for a better understanding.

My understanding is that the bending system works as follows:

1. The inner wing sections are fix and fixed tothe fuselage.
  2. The middle section folds up from the fix wing sections  and thus the fulcrum (hinges) must be on the upper side of the wing.
  3. The outer section folds down from the middle section and thus the fulcrum (hinges) must be on the lower side of the wing.

The parts I've worked on are the junction between the middle section and the outer one, thus the hinges are on the lower side of both sections.

These are the pictures i used as a reference:

kclXMvX.jpg

0yG4rAd.jpg

ErSmWHj.jpg

BJFxvrT.jpg

Apart from the locking system and the front plate thickness I don't understand what you mean.

Could you please have another look and possibly mark the parts you see wrong on the pictures? this will be of great help.

With your help, I spotted the wrong position of the locking pins' housings, but you've got to forgive me as ...you know...anything is possible as wine has been literally flowing during these cold days!!!:rofl:

...and...while I'm here, a small update...

6lFBnxs.jpg

tonight ... PIZZAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

ciao

Massimo

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hi Massimo,

These are the strengthening strips that @71chally is referring to.

27619627049_a4a3e4ddbc_c.jpg

I'm so glad that the hinges are the right way round! it must have been a trick of the camera which made the aerofoil section appear flatter on the top of the wing in your pics.

Ian

• Like 4

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Hi Massimo,

These are the strengthening strips that @71chally is referring to.

27619627049_a4a3e4ddbc_c.jpg

I'm so glad that the hinges are the right way round! it must have been a trick of the camera which made the aerofoil section appear flatter on the top of the wing in your pics.

Ian

Hi Ian, now I see what you and James meant!

On Sword's model, those strenthening strips are moulded on either side of the wings' middle section and they ARE quite thick!!!:toilet::rofl:

Good point, as I hadn't noticed if on the real thing they are fitted to both sides oor just on the upper one.

I'll check the pictures again and eventually delete them on the lower side.

So, just to double check if I got the full picture, these are the next steps:

1. remove the locking pins' housings from the top side of the wings' middle sections,
  2. reduce the strengthening plates' thickness on the wings' middle sections' top side,
  3. check the presence of the strengthening plates on the wings' middle sections' bottom side and delete them if they're missing or reduce their thickness if they're fitted.

As already pointed out by James in a previous intervention, the thickness will have to be reduced on most of the strengthening plates, even thse on the fuselage. 

Thank you both for the intervention :yes: and please keep watching :nono: as it's very easy to miss something!:oops:

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 3

Hi guys,

fzacHmd.jpg

HBggOfT.jpg

TPoUmGl.jpg

TSnEeOM.jpg

PIsrquz.jpg

1puOz1m.jpg

I did some research and from most of the pictures I found on the net, the strenthening plates seem to have been fitted to both sides of the wings' middle sections.

The problem is: were they fitted since the machines were built and to all of them or were thy added later during the aircraft's life?

Strengthening plates have appeared on many aircraft types when a problem came up,but normally if a problem was detected and a solution found, it was extended on all aircraft, depending on the seriousness of the problem, or it may have been applied as the machines were overhauled.

Looking at the pictures, I was quite sure they're there, but then I realized most of them were depicting the same aircraft!!!:cwl::rage::rofl:

Anyway, info are welcome, but considering the period this thread is depicting,(late 70's) I think by that time most aircraft may have been equipped with those strengthening plates, thus...I'll thin them down but leave them there, they'll add some dynamism to the wings paintwork.

Of course , should anyone have more accurate info, I'll consider them, but for now...I'll leave them on.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 5

Hello massimo - Looking at a photo of a line up of 849 squadron Gannets on Perdu’s Gannet build page 4 it is interesting to note the outer wing panels when folded sit up at a higher angle on the AEW3 airframe than on the COD Gannet

CJP

• Like 1

...you are right @massimo!

Even on '500 that I am completely familiar with!

23925882699_178d244dcd_b.jpgFairey Gannet AEW.3 XL500 G-KAEW 6 Jan 16 by James Thomas, on Flickr

What caught me out is that the underside strips are more hidden under the large electrical de-icing mats - they look less distinct than the upper strips in your photos.  Note in my shot here the de-icing mats are removed and show the strips better.

My understanding is that the strips were introduced on all variants that were still in service during a major refurbishment programme at Westlands, the AEWs also getting the fuselage straps in the same period during late 1960s early '70s.

I agree with Perdu, in that I would reduce the thickness of the upper strips, and 'soften' the underside ones.

From what you are saying with the wing folds, I would say that you are 100% correct.

@CJP you are correct with the fold angle differences, and there are slight overall span and folded height differences.  There is 3ft more height at the folded wingtips of the AEW over the AS types.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, 71chally said:

@CJP you are correct with the fold angle differences, and there are slight overall span and folded height differences.  There is 3ft more height at the folded wingtips of the AEW over the AS types.

Isn’t that mostly to do with longer undercarriage to accommodate the radar?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Isn’t that mostly to do with longer undercarriage to accommodate the radar?

The AEWs longer stroke undercarriage is stored within the existing stub-wing section, and has pre-shortening mechs to reduce the retracted length, the published 14' 9" wheel track is actually 1" less than the AS types.  

I think the folded wing angles and geometry is more dictated by the relative position and height of the fuselage and the rest pads of the two Gannet types.

I've never been able to measure the stub-wings / centre section span to compare between the AS and AEWs, the published folded spans are measured across the folded wing tips as their span is a bit greater than the stub-wings.   Basically I'm not sure where the extra span of the AEW is made up, but it makes up for the lost wing area in stub-wing straight leading edges.

The stub-wing of the AEW also lack the leading edge sweep and fuel tanks of the earlier types.

• Like 2

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

When you're used to get up at 6AM.....you just get up at 6 AM!!!

Back home, this morning I did a couple of quick works on the wings' sections:

LSpwRMa.jpg

First I filed and sanded down the strengthening plates on both sides of the wings.

jk2ajbn.jpg

iqpwsad.jpg

Then I glued the locating pins on the outer sections and gave a wash to highlight the panel lines and the detail.

plNmk12.jpg

In the last couple of days,I got a heavy flew. thus I think Today I'll stay in bed and concentrate on my reading!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Massimo

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I will explain about the wing deicing mats sometime.

I was going to ask you about them, as It's the first time I hear about them!!!:huh::idea:

Whenever you want...I'm listening!!!

And any other interesting info about this aircraft is welcomed!!!:yes:

Ciao

Massimo

You may have noticed that service Gannet AEWs have black lines painted on the engine cowling, fin & finlets leading edges and wing & tailplane leading edges and undersides, these show the aft edges of the electrical de-icing mats.  They were unique to the AEW due to its operating height and long loiter times, along with the AN-APS/20 radar they were a large draw from the two 66 Kva alternators, around the the mid 70s they were withdrawn from use and the black lines painted over on some aircraft. and many preserved examples have those lines painted over.

I mention them as from a modelling perspective they explain why so much of the wing undersides look so smooth.  They were essentially large mats (I think of some kind of resin or epoxy) that were applied over the airframe skins, and so covering panel lines etc, and partly covering the fwd portions of those wing reinforcing strips.

On a vacform AEW that I built I replicated the mats using very thin plasticard, but that was probably overkill!

These pics show the lines and you can see how far aft on the wing undersides they extended, the last shot gives an indication of the top lines, they are much further fwd to the leading edges.

25560494708_1a0669084d_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 XL482 wing det (3) by James Thomas, on Flickr

38552486955_0633af1eec_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 XL482 wing det (2) by James Thomas, on Flickr

38722692114_0f494f83f1_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 XL482 Aug 78 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The Warpaint Gannet book has very good reference pictures of these areas.

• Like 2

Hi James,

Good point about the deicing mats, as they may have been fitted...Any idea if there was a period when they were removed?

As you say , if they were fitted to operational Gannets, it may be reasonable to assume they were on in the late 70's, on board the Ark's.

I checked the Alleycat decal sheet and there aren't any black lines for the wings' , while there are some for the tail and winglets...:huh:

ydbMyHG.jpg

gfCPNQS.jpg

v4GO5tq.jpg

NFZRsCm.jpg

Looking at the picture on the article that inspired me, I don't see any black line on the botom of the wings, while the fins' stencils are there, thus I think I'll go for this configuration without the deicing mats on the wings.

lXWcctt.jpg

wvV1GqO.jpg

Anyway yesterday I couldn't resist all day without modellingand I did something:

O0SMoc0.jpg

First I added the vertical sunken linesat the wings' exit

4xsIERC.jpg

...then I shaped the front pates on the wings' middle section's inside.Detali will be added later.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 9

6 hours ago, massimo said:

Hi James,

Good point about the deicing mats, as they may have been fitted...Any idea if there was a period when they were removed?

As you say , if they were fitted to operational Gannets, it may be reasonable to assume they were on in the late 70's, on board the Ark's.

I checked the Alleycat decal sheet and there aren't any black lines for the wings'...

gfCPNQS.jpg

Massimo

..however they are on the drawings, you can see the line on the underside plan.

The mats were always fitted in service, they are a right so and so to remove, they just stopped using them. 

The black lines however were painted over on some aircraft - but not all, as always look for pictures of the actual aircraft that you are modelling. 

For example XL450, XL472 & XL482 had the lines applied right to the end of their service, and because the later two have never been repainted since, still have them visible.   Conversely XL500 and XL502 lost the lines well before the end of their service. 

It might even be the case that the HQ aircraft had them painted over but not the carrier based B Flt aircraft, but that needs further study!

They can be quite hard to see in some photos, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not applying them, they must be pencil thin in 72nd.

More the point is that the mats cover any wing detail that they are applied over.

Do you know which Gannet you are modelling yet?

Superb work yet again.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

Thanks James, I think I may go for the 042 in the article opening picture.

Welcome back Enrico!!!

Now a small update.

Today I went out with my family and when I got back, I found this on my post box:

G0OUGgc.jpg

f3fqPv8.jpg

Gg2fV5m.jpg

s6X3b3p.jpg

Everything looked great, bu then....disaster struck!!!

The main reason for purchasing this set was not to have to get mad reshaping the Matchbox Buccaneer's nose, but when I got the resin one in my hands...this is what I found out...:rage:

9u7In1l.jpg

they must have squeezed the silicone rubber mould when the resin was still soft and this is the result.

gcDwzQW.jpg

voit7SP.jpg

7RT5VcN.jpg

There's also a step at the side, probably due to a cut in the rubber mould...

J9WABVn.jpg

I think the mould back block was meant to be square , and this gives the idea of the level of distortion!!!

YZJ4SGb.jpg

To be honest, this was the only reason why I purchased this set, but I don't think I'll be able to use it, as it's completely distorted and itd diametre is wrong in all directions....

I'll contact Alley cat to see if they can send me a properly shaped nose, but for now...I'm a little sad....:sad:

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Not a great quality photo & I cant remember where I got it - it is of HMS Victorious Air Group not the Ark Royal but it does show COD and AEW Gannets folded next to each other for comparison - I think mid to late 1960's era reference the Warpaint Gannet publication 23

IMG_6306.jpg

CJP

• Like 4

Hi mates,

small update:

tonight I started adding  some details to the inside of the wings' middle sections.

jiTLjv2.jpg

First I drew the parts to be added and holes to be drilled...

DJ9bJVB.jpg

5vHGBEe.jpg

...then I made some small plastic circles with my personal reviewed version of punch and die...

Qah8Nyg.jpg

q7y01fu.jpg

Here is where I got.

Now it's time to go to bed!!!

Night night!!!

Massimo

• Like 10