Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

No way that a manufacturer can stand over work of that quality Massimo - a clear case for for replacement resin if ever.

Your diligence and skill on the wingfold continue to enthrall. 

• Like 2

Hi everybody,

last night (....well...it was this morning!) ... i sent an Email to Alleycat, and I'm sure they'll find a sopution for my nose cone! At the moment I'll stay focused on my Gannet.

Anyway this morning at 2AM, before going to bed , I got a reminder from Ebay about something I had looked for in the recent past and was now avliable....this!!!

d9YO70c.jpg

The price was around 9 US$ but I had to spend another 35 for delivery...so I went to bed!!!:rofl:

This morning I checked again nd there was another one at the price of...19,99Euros +...4,50 for transport!!!:yahoo:

So I got it!!!

7wSWVyL.jpg

Yesterday I also decided to go on with the Italery Wessex, as I found one for a reasonable price. I might purchase a Frog exemple later from Hannants, but I don't think it'll be required. I'll do my bestto correct it.

I had a quite busy morning, but I'll find some time to do some Gannetting this afternoon or, at the worst, tonight.

See you soon!

Massimo

• Like 6

Massimo I am sure you will be fine with the Italeri thing

You are aware of its drawbacks and are going to give us a treat with it, I'm sure

Good to have a nice book, that looks a beauty

• Like 1

Hi mates,

Yesterday went quickly and there wasn't any time for modelling.

ReNBOkr.jpg

My Treasure found lots of nice little jobs for me to do as she thought i was getting bored for too much Gannetting.I love testing old crayons to see if they still work!!!

VJTgvQC.jpg

Q8635wU.jpg

On my hand there are two bits I did and then I realized they're fitted to the inside section of the wing.

This folding area is much moe complicated thanthe outside one as, in addition tothe folding system,there are many levers, rods and cylinders for the flaps' and ailerons' movement.

204mL8K.jpg

eBiMOae.jpg

I then added hinges and some more detail to the middle sections' outside. Some parts were really truicky and I had to make some more , as I lost or broke some.Not much more to be said, just trying to replicate what's in James' pictures.

OCzj0aP.jpg

The two sides of the wing's middle section.

NclpXzd.jpg

Iu2tyYy.jpg

And finally a view of all the detail added up to now to the wings' folding system.

Tonight I'll watch a movie!!!

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 16

2 hours ago, massimo said:

VJTgvQC.jpg

Massimo

Amazing work, I assume that they are the two 'A' frames that the two hydraulic pistons act on in the stub wing fold area?

That inboard stub-wing fold is without a doubt a complicated area, so many angles and and facets to deal with!

39524652011_e7e0b3da0d_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 inboard wingfold by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Amazing work, I assume that they are the two 'A' frames that the two hydraulic pistons act on in the stub wing fold area?

That inboard stub-wing fold is without a doubt a complicated area, so many angles and and facets to deal with!

39524652011_e7e0b3da0d_c.jpgGannet AEW.3 inboard wingfold by James Thomas, on Flickr

this picture is a little "unforgiving"!!!

Looking at it , you'd like to run away!!!:rage:

I'll have to study the subject before concentrating on the inner wing sections, as there's a lot of stuff in there!!!

Spoiler

:wall::banghead::banghead::wall::headbang::headbang::swear::swear:

• Haha 3

That photo of the inner wing fold is daunting but judging by your work so far you will replicate it very nicely - I wonder if it would be worth considering disguising some brass strip and/or wire into the inner wing fold mechanism to add strength? - of course once you do set up the wing folds you will also have the brace between the inner wing panel and the fuselage and the long red vertical tubular brace from the outer panel to the centre section to give more strength.

CJP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perdu said:

You deserve a Noble Prize for modelmaking Massimo

Inticate and believable

and accurate, what more could one ask?

magnificent

Agreed 100%!! You are doing an incredibly good job on those wing folds, Massimo :clap: You are the plasticard king! :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Massimo,

My Jaguar Wheel wells have stalled too at the moment so I understand. 

Loving the Ark Royal theme though. I have the Model alliance Ark Royal decal sheet and a few kits to do an Ark Royal Air Wing at some stage so will follow this. Loving the progress so far.

Have you seen the Airfix Magazine from a couple of months ago with the new Airfix Phantom on the cover? It has plans for the catapult deck section of Ark Royal in 1:72 and a build article. I bought the magazine and then got a free copy at Telford so I have a spare copy if it could be of use.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CJP said:

I wonder if it would be worth considering disguising some brass strip and/or wire into the inner wing fold mechanism to add strength? - of course once you do set up the wing folds you will also have the brace between the inner wing panel and the fuselage and the long red vertical tubular brace from the outer panel to the centre section to give more strength.

Before starting adding detail to this section, I considered this aspect and, in addition to the hinges (which are already quite precise and can hold the outer sections together with the middle ones)...

sxzVgfO.jpg

Fvi3hxE.jpg

...I've drilled a couple of holes for the the braces both on the wings and on the fuselage halves.The braces will be the main point of strength to sustain the weight of the wing folded sections. Once these points are strongly holding, the hinges and the red bars will do the rest.

I might even drill another couple of holes by the main folding's fulcrum, in a position where they aren't visible and thus have a second point of strength.I could even think about removing the wings for transport...but i shoud find a waay to make some quick release joints for the cables and pipes...:think:

bL4e6nr.jpg

Anyway I've removed the top panels on the inner sections to allow  the folding and filed the wheel bays' side wall thickness.

Another thing to do before concentrating on the inner wingfold is the wheel bays' detailling, to be carried out before glueing the wings' inner sections' haves.

TER1Bxo.jpg

This work starts from the fuselage, as the inner sidewall are moulded onto the halves. Having seen some pictures of the port bay , ( I've learned, haven't I? B))  I had drilled two holes on each one, to fit some plumbing.

pwa3FrD.jpg

Then I saw a picture of the starboard bay(I've learned, haven't I? B))...

GlLFze4.jpg

Wj2mn3r.jpg

dNZShSc.jpg

G5Cx4IA.jpg

Si5ctUp.jpg

...so I filled the holes and sanded the side smooth, before replicating the inner detail.

That's it for now.

14 hours ago, FZ6 said:

Have you seen the Airfix Magazine from a couple of months ago with the new Airfix Phantom on the cover? It has plans for the catapult deck section of Ark Royal in 1:72 and a build article. I bought the magazine and then got a free copy at Telford so I have a spare copy if it could be of use.

Mark

I've got the article and that's what I have in mind for my Phantom, when the time will come!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

There has been some cracking work going on here, its even getting me a bit interested in getting back to the bench myself.

Martian

• Like 6

2 hours ago, massimo said:

...I've drilled a couple of holes for the the braces both on the wings and on the fuselage halves.The braces will be the main point of strength to sustain the weight of the wing folded sections. Once these points are strongly holding, the hinges and the red bars will do the rest.

I might even drill another couple of holes by the main folding's fulcrum, in a position where they aren't visible and thus have a second point of strength.I could even think about removing the wings for transport...but i shoud find a waay to make some quick release joints for the cables and pipes...:think:

Brilliant - I think what you have planned for the wing fold will be strong although the idea of making the wings removable sounds scary - the Ark Royal's last cruise is shaping up to be an interesting series of builds

CJP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There has been some cracking work going on here, its even getting me a bit interested in getting back to the bench myself.

Martian

Long time no see!!!

Nice to hear from our alien friend!!!:cheers:

Small update before going to bed:

LdyBmL7.jpg

I glued some locating blocks to the starbord fuselage half to help keeping the wing in place.I still don't know how I'll procede...I may decide to glue the top half first, paint the wheel bay and glue the bottom half and then glue the bottom half.Only then I would be ready to go on with the wing folding system...I'll see...

uPJ6NWL.jpg

I added some more detail to the wheel bay ...

rTqV0uO.jpg

This is what you can see from outside , once the wing halves are glued.

I1jvCe8.jpg

uKhvtNe.jpg

kTa8RKq.jpg

kjSxSW8.jpg

And finally the wing top section  in position.

Good night

Massimo

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, giemme said:

I think your planned sequence makes sense.

This is becoming more and more interesting :popcorn:

Ciao

The problem is I'm going backwards!!!:rofl:

Buona notte!!!

Edited by massimo2
  • Haha 1

Nice detail in those wheel wells. It looks as though your solution for making sure the wing is secure should work nicely. If not, you could always add a solid end to the inner wing, then drill both it and the fuselage to accept a pin of some sort.

Ian

• Like 1