Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

He's right they do

Not too sure about using cyano in a structural environment, I think its the most unreliable adhesive extant

I'm a fan of using tube glue for jointing where there are gaps to accommodate but on the whole she is getting the feel of a Gannet now

Its nice to sit back and enjoy a favourite aeroplane in the build

👍

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Not too sure about using cyano in a structural environment, I think its the most unreliable adhesive extant

I'm a fan of using tube glue for jointing where there are gaps to accommodate but on the whole she is getting the feel of a Gannet now

I've tried different  super glue types among those avaliable in Italy and they aren't all the same, but Super Attack is the most popular one and it's very good.

ufsEj82.jpg

Anyway I use it for glueing only when I've got to deal with PE, otherwise I use it as a filler. It's very good as it's a good base for rescribing.

For gueing plastic parts I use Tamiya green cap liquid cement, which is really thin and gets everywhere. The new type with lighter cap is even thinner and dries even more quickly.

I friend of mine uses a different type of glue for general purposes...I've never tried it...has anybody ever heard of it ??? 

tNged4z.jpg

:tmi::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hey Massimo,

Very fascinating thread !

You do a sterling job on that gannet ! Congratulations !

I already spent a lot of time in reading Learning and laughing !!

:mike:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

21 hours ago, massimo said:

tNged4z.jpg

Must be Australian; they have a healthy tendency to be somewhat direct with their words.  The Brits would have called it “Adheres Somewhat In The Manner Of D*ng”, which just doesn’t have the same punch.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Oi! :fight:

Just as well the Buccaneer and Gannet give you honorary status or there would be a Starfix Spitfire in the post.

It would have to go via post - it certainly wouldn’t fly!

• Haha 2

On 19/01/2018 at 16:58, Scimitar said:

Oi! :fight:

Just as well the Buccaneer and Gannet give you honorary status or there would be a Starfix Spitfire in the post.

I'll have you know young man, Ive no need of 'honorary' status

My father, bless him came south to Birmingham to work in the mines in the thirties

(Sceptics are welcome to look up Hamstead Colliery...)

I was munching breakfast rolls and square sausage as a kid and spent every school holidays in Hamilton assimilating Jockness through my auntie's cooking, Oor Wullie and the Broons from the age of eight

Blooming cheek!

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bruce's cave?

Not the pub just up from the bridge on Quarry St was it?

I only went in the one pub as I got older once puberty stopped me going to Aunty Maggies

Did like a pint of heavy though

😇

Just looked at a googlemap

Blimey they've shut Townend St, I bet the Roxy and the Regal? have closed too

Hamilton's not the place I used to know, guddling wee brown trout in Cadzow Burn waiting for Aunty Sal to finish work at the sausage skin factory...

Wow

😕

Edited by perdu

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Not the pub just up from the bridge on Quarry St was it?

Sure was!

We suffered Scott  Campbell and his Continental Organ in our attempts to gain the attention of two young lady regulars.

We failed!

They had a CooP which sold models.Do you remember the poly bagged Frog Brittania and 707?

We bought one or three and Alan probably still has them.

Next time Massimo is in Scotland I intend to treat him to a pint of heavy or 80/- 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi guys, 

not much of an improvement, but I h've had a busy week!

In my last post, I had glued the wings and filled the gaps with Super Attack.

Next step was to sand things down to a smooth finish and then I concentrated on the interiors, as now I have to stat thinking on closing the fuselage halves together.

Dk3Bymt.jpg

I added some detail around the operators' side doors , basicaly a bit of framing and the door's hinge's cylinder.

ZCbo9yE.jpg

Not much will be visible (I think the word "nothing" is more appropriate than "not much"!!!) once the resin interior is in place and even less once the fuselage halves are glued together, anyway, as people are watching and there some expectation is  inolved, this had to be done!!!!:rofl:

FfiGRCR.jpg

Next was a hand of black...

tNjd4rP.jpg

...followed by a hand of interior green...

...followed by a hand of future...

EAyQXRV.jpg

ZNcBCx5.jpg

1nehckq.jpg

lOARmut.jpg

...followed by a brown wash with Tamiya stuff and a drybrushing session with a lighter grey on both the cockpit and sky in the operators' office...

It's now time tostart painting the  resin interior...which i have already pre-assembled when I thought it was all black, before discovering it was interior green with black instrument panels.

It'll be a challange to mask them and paint them black, but I'll try!!!

I'm flying to Scotland tomorrow and on thursday I've got a nice drive planned from Forfar to....Lifton (Devon)!!!

I don't think I'll have much time to spare, unless... I start having a look at the Buccaneer.

About this I haven't had any reply from Alleycat, not even a word...:( so...I'll send them another email and...fingers crossed!!!

Ah...I forgot...yesterday I saw a box on a book shelf....

I asked Tesoro (my lovely wife):" What's this box?" 

and she said ;" oh...yes..I had forgotten...it must have arrived two weeks ago!!!"

PbVpTm1.jpg

This is what was inside the box!!!:wall:

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Sure was!

We suffered Scott  Campbell and his Continental Organ in our attempts to gain the attention of two young lady regulars.

We failed!

They had a CooP which sold models.Do you remember the poly bagged Frog Brittania and 707?

Next time Massimo is in Scotland I intend to treat him to a pint of heavy or 80/- 

Ha! The poster read "Scott Campbell and his Continental Organ (collar and tie)"
I got lifted by the polis there once and Scott Campbell accompanied me to the station :D
Yup - stlll got at least one each of Britannia, Comet and (I think) 707.

Hey! What about me, I'm  in Scotland now :party:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

Ha! The poster read "Scott Campbell and his Continental Organ (collar and tie)"

I might be making  this up - but one time (might have been Christmas or New Year) I think the poster read

"Scott Campbell and his Continental Organ (collar and tie). Including support"
I'm pretty sure we went into hysterics! It might have been the drink though.

Sorry Massimo - we've wandered off the Gannet thread here just a little. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Sure was!

We failed!

I'll have one too OK?  OK maybe two or three...

I remember buying thenavy blue plastic Aurora Grumman Cougar in Woolworths, was that the higher road that went to England via Larkhall?

I'm sure it was

My aunts Maggie and Sadie lived in Tuphall Rd near the swing park so a walk down to the Bent with cousins Jim and Hughie were fun pastimes

Wouldnt it be wonderful to do all that again huh..

Massimo, end of my thread drift,thank you for hosting it

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

during the weekend I coudn't dedicate to modelling the time I would have wanted, but I went on a little with the interiors.

IL55lZl.jpg

This is were I was.

I painted the panels black , washed them with the Tamiya panel lines  accent wash and dry brushed with a lighter grey. On the right there's some sort of wrapping, which I thought it may have been a safety inflatable dinghy, thus I painted it yellow. I don't know how accurate it is, but...it gives a bit of life to an area which will be a bit dark, once the fuselage halves are glued together.Yhis is the reason why I overdid a bit the dry-brushing, to make it more visible from outside...nobody will ever see it!!!:headbang:

1mf1vi1.jpg

EAy8wlS.jpg

y0br5UQ.jpg

I remember having seen some screens with an orange light....well...I have to admit they weren't this orange!!!:rofl:

I'll paint them a different colour, I promise!!!

uvXE4Y1.jpg

I also decided to go on with the cockpit and here are the components, ready to be painted.

ukkMDrl.jpg

BapfAWE.jpg

There isn't much to be said...it's a bit...blackish!!! I'll add safety belts and some levers here and there, but this in a couple of weeks time!!!:(

This because I've won a two weeks job in Ciprus , where I am at the moment.

The Gannet has come to a stage where it caan't be transported in a suitcase, unless risking to damage it.

Anyway I don't want to waste any time and thus...

sJVfWWY.jpg

K6e3Wo5.jpg

...I brought with me my travel kit...there's spmething I'd like to get started with!!!:D

IVLa1Pi.jpg

mL1H3te.jpg

gwkqhGS.jpg

Mmmmmmhhhhhh.....there seems to be plenty of work to do, at least from a first look!!!

This cockpit is...a bit basic!!! Now I'm out for some interesting reading: colin's topic may be of help!!!:coolio:

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Canopy slid shut I wonder?

Dunno......

It could be landing, or it could be ready to launch, or it could be parked besides the Gannet, or it could be on the lift...:drunk:

I'll see what the inspiration is as things improve...now it's still too early.:huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening,

things are progressing slooooowly here in Cyprus.

kRc6LKY.jpg

JkiFTSb.jpg

Not knowing exactly where to start from, I decided to procede by cutting removing the bulged bomb bay from the fuselage halves, as it was introduced afterwards and the nose wheel bay, which wasn't deep enough.

Since I erased all cockpit detail ... eehhmmm...I decided I hadn't enough knowledge to proceed with the scratch building replacement, thus I started with...

fHbblKj.jpg

...some pencilling!!! 

Ideally these marks should coincide with the bulkeheads and the instrument panel position and angles...or at least this is where I got after a careful research...:rofl:

Hi30cf1.jpg

The only conclusion i came to is there was a I shaped a bulkhead , thus I went for it!!!

9cg3x4U.jpg

INZE6nn.jpg

Then I cut two strip of thick plastic card and glued them into the empty spaces left from the bomb bay.

Xd29Api.jpg

After some filing and sanding this is what the new belly looks like.

BfIqL0Y.jpg

And this is its original shape.

I should carry out something like this to reduce my belly, but it ain't that easy...:rofl:

That's it  for now.

Gunnait!:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 4