Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

11 minutes ago, CJP said:

Massimo that Buccaneer is looking very smooth and neat - cant believe it is the old Matchbox S2 reissued by Revell - the single colour of the plastic must be much nicer to work with & see any flaws than the multi coloured Matchbox original kit.

CJP

True, but Bill's original 50 shades of blue one's got a different taste!!!

I'm looking for one!!!;)

• Like 1

It does look a bit evocative Massimo but the plastic is a sod to cut if there is any converting going on

I can't wait to get started on my beigey-tan Matchbox S2 which is staying an S2, the only things I will change are the undercart

And the transfers, yeehaw

Massimo you are really working wonders with it

I'm amazed each time I look in

Stuporgoo as filler, never seems to work for me :(

(Note to self: Must try harder)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

I can't wait to get started on my beigey-tan Matchbox S2

I saw it in that box withher sister S1s over her...:cry:...ENVYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

beige and tan... you could leave her unpainted, like an old fashion car!!!:rofl:

Next time I may have a go with a S1, if I find another Matchbox kit!!! 

...and I've got two 1/48 scale ones to play with...too many!!!

Edited by massimo2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, massimo said:

True, but Bill's original 50 shades of blue one's got a different taste!!!

I'm looking for one!!!;)

Yes I am an admirer of Bill's brilliant blue Buccaneer too as well as how he cobbles up home made resin parts as required

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi mates,

night I wasn't much in the mode for modelling, as tomorrow morning I've got to flight  back, but there seems to be a snow storm around NY, where I'm headed to, to chatch my flight to Amsterdam and then to Bologna. I hope there won't be any cancellations, but...I'm pretty sure there might be!!!

Anyway, watching at Bill's progress, I decided to have a go with something.

As the last step before closing the fuselage is the front wheel bay, I decided to start from the front wheel retracting cylinder.

ZavMQTK.jpg

QY0bHr0.jpg

I had already drilled a hole from side to side through the wheel bay to house a fulcrum pin for it thus I started by gluing two pieces of plastic tube , with two side reinforcement plates.

SPg1DZM.jpg

DyP1x4s.jpg

nnVoOry.jpg

FqOUmCX.jpg

6JczgYi.jpg

rNo5UIx.jpg

it's free to rotate, once the fulcrum pin is in.

I added some detail and that's it for tonight. Another small step is done.

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 7

Alright, alright, you make it all look so easy, but:

SPg1DZM.jpg

Where are those two little rings coming from? How did you cut them? :frantic:  :frantic:  Please? :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Where are those two little rings coming from? How did you cut them? :frantic:  :frantic:  Please? :)

from a piece of plastic tube from my set with a new blade gently rotating it on the bench while pushing down.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, massimo said:

from a piece of plastic tube from my set with a new blade gently rotating it on the bench while pushing down.

Ciao

Ah OK, thank you! :thumbsup: It's the same technique I use to cut brass pipes, although I never tried a so thin of a slice :frantic:

Ciao

Home sweet home!!!

I'm under the jet leg  effect and yesterday was a very busy and long day, but before going to bed, I managed to add the fertical finand  tail and nose cones to the starboard fuseage half.

xHHK3Eu.jpg

QRlPlKc.jpg

nKW919K.jpg

eFHz1El.jpg

OJDwFEo.jpg

iEZcPBW.jpg

lRzy2Y7.jpg

xGwipIT.jpg

hDmuLPc.jpg

This morning a bit of sanding , but only after I purchased some new CA glue to be used a s filler.

Whe I opened the blister I noticed a familiar shape...

p7B7r3M.jpg

djOxtJr.jpg

...and so...I cut it off and worked a bit on it until I got the shape I wanted:

GmMWe1c.jpg

I tried a dry fit and I have to say I'm quite happy with it. 

rrcdf66.jpg

9xDtLW4.jpg

it'll have to wait for a while,  until the fuselage halves will be joined. Let's put it together with the other clear parts.

u2YxYyk.jpg

Once happy with the glueing and sanding I went on with the tail cone section. Before glueing the airbrakes' system's frame it had to be painted , together with the cone's interior, which wouldn't be accessible for painting otherwise.
S3k1GK1.jpg

zuanaZa.jpg

lkDvc9D.jpg

cbOUw2t.jpg

oI6tGTG.jpg

iyrm6Ys.jpg

xxDib8r.jpg

t8ivbs3.jpg

RcyeRqj.jpg

LYn6exE.jpg

Gtnl6Ta.jpg

gvMJt0e.jpg

u4AWPsb.jpg

nGDudA1.jpg

Black first, then grey, then black wash, then lighter grey dry brushing. That's it for now, it may be a bit dark, but I'll give it another touch before I fit the airbrakes.

Now it's time for dinner!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 12

Nicely done Massimo!

Glad to see you (and the Bucc) got home safely. I still think you're mad with that airbrake mechanism......

Ian

• Haha 1

Good morning,

At two o'clock this morning God spoke to me and said:"wake up and go join the fuselage halves"...

Surely it was my imagnation and the real reason is the jet-leg, but anyway I got up and came to the kitchen , where my Buccaneer was waiting.

Cy2EePz.jpg

Qv39sFK.jpg

Before joining the fuselage halves I drilled another hole at the side ofthe front wheel bay and glued a piece of tube with a piece of plastic rod going through it.I had previously drilled a hole at the tube centreline , which will be the attachment forr the front wheel main leg.

I also added the cylinder I had made two days ago.I glued a rectangle of plastic card at the bay side, to make sure any liquid glue went inside , locking it. It'll have to be free until I finish the wheel bay detal and fix the front wheel leg.

c1hMLwO.jpg

At the back I added some plastic blocks to make sure the airbrakes sliding system's frame won't fall in while I'm adding the airbrakes. I may have to struggle a bit, thus i need this assembly to be strongly fixed.

XOBVpPF.jpg

AnT8U5C.jpg

Then,finally I could pour some liquid Tamiya green cap glue along the junction and lock the sides with some elastic bands.

This marks a no way back moment which has always a particular taste!

From now on she's an aircraft!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 14

Hi mates,

not much modelling this week, but I'm plenty of things to do and on Tuesday I'll go back to the USA, thus...not much time left!

ad2DaH6.jpg

I only filled and sanded several areas (booooooooring stuff!!!:headbang:)

VXHd8gp.jpg

xryYioy.jpg

I tried a dryfit with the airbrakes.They seem to fit well with the assembled tail cone.

NG4ALS8.jpg

I was thinking I should  bring the Gannet to the same step, but there are some back seats to be equipped with some sort of seat belts and...not tonight!!!

I'm having a lazy week!!!:phew:

1V39Q43.jpg

I also did a dryfit test to se how the glass between the two seats fits.

Y1aN9Gu.jpg

reG7ff2.jpg

Vq53qCR.jpg

3j10Go6.jpg

Then tonight I added some detail to the main wheel bays.

That's it for now.

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 6