Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Hi mates,

not much modelling today but a memorable day for me!

The day before yesterday, the guy I'm working with sees my laptop screen saver ( an F15 landing at RAF Lakenheath) and say:

"do you like aircraft?"

I say "yes" and we start talking. He shows me some pictures on his mobile phone and he says:" this is my neighbour. He works as a pilot for a NASCAR team and is also an aerobatic instructor . He flies from asmall airport ten minutes from here."

we go on working, he starts texting for a while and and then he says:"I sent a message to my buddy and if you want, he can fly you over Lake Norman on Sunday.":yikes::gobsmacked::mental:

My first thoughtwas:  I'd love to, but...and then I couldn't find an excuse good enough, so I said: "I'll think about it".(which to me meant"very kind of you, no thanks!!!)

But then I thought:" I've been flying for 30 years n airliners, but I've never had a go on a small one and I'll never have another occasion like this, so I rang him and said: "If your buddy is still willing to fly me over the lake, I'll do it!:pilot:

So we agreed to meet at the airstrip at 12,30 and off I went.

We met and they introduced me to Mike, a very kind buddy who briefed me about his activity and his aircraft.

To be honest I missed the aircraft typeeen because I don't know anything about this sort of aircraft. I know it's powerful ( I'm not a light guy...ehm...buddy!)

Anyway here are a few pictures of it.

h3ytihQ.jpg

tKGcgmS.jpg

4mlE11R.jpg

NvmhFy1.jpg

gYfMxKg.jpg

After the briefing I got onto the back seat and Mike strapped me tight .

5WqDSN8.jpg

Then he jumped in and strapped himself, did the final checks and turned the engine on.

JuttL8C.jpg

We took off and we were immediately over lake Norman.It's a wonderful lake with an irregular shape and there are houses everywhere, all  with their own  dock and  boat . Many of them have a seaplane parked.

tuzsbZQ.jpg

SrO1qx0.jpg

I was enjoying the view when mike gave me control. That was a bit unexpected ,and I had to put my phone down.

0WRaMMo.jpg

I did a few turns under mike's insruction , levelled, speeded up and slowed down, feeling the nose drop a bit.

After approx 5 minutes, he took control and asked if I wanted to experience some aerobatics, ( he's an aerobatic instructor) using his hand fora better understanding of the maneuvre he was going to undertake.

TZRtl1h.jpg

...so off we went , starting with a Tonneau, which I loved and thus was followed by two more ( I found myself laughing like a child!!!)...and a couple of loops.

LxA2ood.jpg

aobiEqS.jpg

KA44ncs.jpg

6CvqnCa.jpg

OYFIq7t.jpg

Z1c1Y0g.jpg

4ZHe9A0.jpg

The , after approx 30 minutes from our takeoff, we headed  back to the air strip and landed.

neUQhrl.png

GGBTN9T.jpg

jpbwDLS.jpg

ngrjUqI.jpg

The aircraft was put into the hangar and afer another talk with Mike, I left.

It's been a fantastic experience and I'm very happy to have accepted. Flying's been my life's dream and, althought I fly a lot, this flight had a different taste. At 53 of age and totally unespectedly my dream came true. And not only I did fly an aeroplane with my hands, but also I experienced some aerobatics, which not everybody has had the chance to.

So I'm really happy as a child!!!

Once back to the hotel I had a busy afternoon posting the video I took to my Family and friends and I did some modelling, but my mind was somewhere else, and thus I only glued the wing roots and the engines' nozzles to the fuselage halves.

HOTmHwS.jpg

NtElEvu.jpg

MgK0la9.jpg

I also glued the ailerons to the wings with a small angle , as shown in my reference picture shown on the previous page.

But to be honest ...this wasn't much fun!!!

Happy Father day to all Italian mates and happy S.Patrick's Day to everybody!!!

Massimo

For who may be interested in watching my flight videos, they're here

https://www.facebook.com/massimo.stagni.7/posts/1932293813448147

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 8

Massimo, you lucky b....rd! :D  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Looks like you had a hell of a great time!! (I'm slightly envious ...)

Happy Father's day to you too :)

Ciao

• Haha 1

Brilliant  post Massimo -  the joy of the experience really comes across in those photos!

To quote Giorgio:

8 minutes ago, giemme said:

Massimo, you lucky b....rd!

:lol:

• Haha 2

Good morning,

this morning I woke up at 4 and thought it was the right time for some filing and sanding!:suicide:

So I got to work and now s'es very nice and smooth!

sbez9TS.jpg

HK8XZuE.jpg

sYqvoeX.jpg

here resembance to a Buccaneer improves !!!

By the way, yesterday I forgot this , taken on my way back!!!

ul6Rvlc.jpg

...it says it all!!!:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

Arent you supposed to tell him its to be a light hearted flight into sunlit cloudless skies?  :huh:

Do not take any notice Massimo, you are going to love it:penguin:

I was referring to the bank balance.....

Ian

• Haha 2

hi buddys...o buddies?:huh:

Tonight I carried out some more samding and filing to improve some areas which needed some more CA glue to correct some mishapes.

PVD11QJ.jpg

Then I added the two bulges in front of the engines' intakes, 

75zIKBt.jpg

6cXB45P.jpg

Once  it's dry, I'll have to do some more sanding:rage::headbang:to shape them down a bit.

bz5KuMf.jpg

eUhJLqk.jpg

I also added some thin strips and some CA glue on the outside, to shape the area afterwards.

That's it for tonight.

Goodnight!

Massimo

• Like 6

As I had to wake up early , to give support to my Treasure for a matter, Ihad a go with some sanding and here is where I am now.

2Jh8IT8.jpg

lTPc0EX.jpg

I'll do the other half and a few touches here and there...booooring stuff!!!:phew:

aobiEqS.jpg

For who may be interested in watching my flight videos, they're here

https://www.facebook.com/massimo.stagni.7/posts/1932293813448147

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, massimo said:

booooring stuff!!!:phew:

A total chore, if you ask me - but it pays dividends in the end. So, well worth it :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Good morning, 

small update.

Last night I went on with my sanding and decided to glue the air intakes.

I add CA glue as filler, as there was qquite a remarkable step, and once dry, i sanded it off.

jSOqCFg.jpg

Here the lower Fuselage half's got the intake glued and with CA glue while the top one's already been sanded down.

VWreX6y.jpg

ecCdNlO.jpg

Top and side  view: it starts looking smooth all the way.and it's taking shape too!!!

I decided not to use the resin intakes as this kit will have the covers on.

oSmFQTn.jpg

WXo2RyM.jpg

HIdKSOx.jpg

Flaps down!!!

Timeto go tobed!

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 5

On 3/19/2018 at 1:51 AM, massimo said:

At 53 of age and totally unespectedly my dream came true. And not only I did fly an aeroplane with my hands, but also I experienced some aerobatics, which not everybody has had the chance to.

You have never booked a seat with RyanAir have you?!:tmi:

That sounded like a fantastic flight, and glad that you excepted the ride, amazing what experiences can come along in life!

That Buccaneer is coming along just dandy as well!

• Like 1

Massimo that Buccaneer is looking very smooth and neat - cant believe it is the old Matchbox S2 reissued by Revell - the single colour of the plastic must be much nicer to work with & see any flaws than the multi coloured Matchbox original kit.

CJP