Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

17 hours ago, Scimitar said:

There were some RAF ones (and all of the S50s) built without them although they were all fitted later.

There was a build on here some time back and the modeller gave good info on them.

I'm off to look.

We're all over it Richard:lol:

On 3/2/2018 at 10:27 PM, perdu said:

That is great Scimitar, and it would not surprise me to find that at that period Bucc S2s didnt have the vortex generators on them

On 3/2/2018 at 10:38 PM, 71chally said:

I would agree about the non VG era being feasible for that shot.

That is definitely the period of Buccaneer that you would want to model in 1:144th!:idea:

This is a great list of the mods introduced (or removed!), http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Technical_files/mods.html

You will need the pilots notes to correlate dates though

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening,

a little story before getting on with a small update.

A few months ago, while I was working on my Jaguars, I bought a couple of these

KPZeBVo.jpg

I also bought some aftermarkets and...

this...

lkHEUMZ.jpg

Of course I put it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Yesterday , while I was looking for something, I found it and had another look at it. Of course I didn't even remember i had it when I scratch built the Matchbox kit's interior and I struggled a lot to understand the cockpit layout.

Had I remembered I had this book, I could hace used it as a reference...

let's have a look:

6sB5ygj.jpg

RfUPtXu.jpg

WuKTe6g.jpg

dqt4paq.jpg

:swear::gobsmacked::wall::banghead::weep::headbang::swear::gobsmacked::wall::banghead::weep::headbang::swear::gobsmacked::wall::banghead::weep::headbang::swear::gobsmacked::wall::banghead::weep::headbang::swear::gobsmacked::wall::banghead::weep::headbang::swear::gobsmacked::wall::banghead::weep::headbang:

Never mind...it's done!!!

Time for an upgrade now.

As the airbrake is nearly done, having to flight to the UK, I left it at home and I decided to start having a look at the wings.

And while I was looking for some reference, I found this picture.(All rights are Alamy.com's)

EGbTPcP.jpg

To me it is pure gold as it shows an aircraft with folded wings, flaps down and ailerons not aligned to the wings .

It's the only picture I've seen in this configuration,anyway it confirms flaps and ailerons could be off set while parked.

As I hate all straight models, I've decided to angle them on my model and thus I started with some cutting.

xSACLnD.jpg

These are  the wings'  sections , the inner ones are in one piece with the air intakes.

N2L0pKA.jpg

It isn't a bad base for a wing fold, but I'll add a little detail!:rofl:

M15v8sU.jpg

Here I've thinned the edges down to get some  space for the wing folding system.

YEQIfmY.jpg

qXLGkLH.jpg

This picture shows the wings' inner section before and after some filing.

yjxM6UO.jpg

I also cut the flaps and the wheels wells off.

a4EXbhf.jpg

This is all the cutting I did tonight. I've extended the ailerons ' front edge, which will be filed down to make it round.

9wPwryF.jpg

And these are the outer wings' sections.

That's it for tonight!

Good night!

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 8

Massimo Productions brought you another episode of "Die Hard Plastic Surgery"  - on these screens twice per week (at least) :D 

Great job, Massimo :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Massimo Productions brought you another episode of "Die Hard Plastic Surgery"  - on these screens twice per week (at least) :D 

Great job, Massimo :clap:  :clap: 

Pity he doesn't look for his books...

• Haha 4

Good evening, 

bWCzWUk.jpg

here in Pontefrat I've set my office 

6MnWfuZ.jpg

TgSfa3T.jpg

Tonight I went on with some boring and dusty filing :headbang:.

khlvsya.jpg

This is where I got so far.The wing components are shaped. I should concentrate on the wheel bays, but ... motivation isn't high for those at the moment!!!

The original ones weren't that bad and were quite hidden...Let's see tomorrow...:tmi:

Not much of an update, but...that's it for tonight. Looking back it's been far more interesting to watch the Flying Scotsman story on Yesterday channel!!!

Before saying goodnight...does anybody have any good pictures or datas of the Palouste air starter?

I'd like to build one for my Buccaneer.

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 2

Massimo I would like to see you build a Palouste air starter - I think this is an item of equipment that would enhance a FAA aircraft model - there are some RN deck tractors in kit form so maybe someone will produce one in a kit one day hopefully.

CJP

29 minutes ago, CJP said:

Massimo I would like to see you build a Palouste air starter - I think this is an item of equipment that would enhance a FAA aircraft model - there are some RN deck tractors in kit form so maybe someone will produce one in a kit one day hopefully.

CJP

What he ^ said.  I’d love to see someone produce a good 1/48 Palouste.  I already have flight deck tractors of several eras...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, manuel said:

Im19570517Aero-Palouste.jpg

Some shameless economy with the truth in that ad!  The Palouste was a Turbomeca design (the French name might be something of a clue), tho both RR and Blackburn built them under license.  Westland Seafire, anyone?

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, 71chally said:

This is a great list of the mods introduced (or removed!), http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Technical_files/mods.html

You will need the pilots notes to correlate dates though

Have come on here from the other Buccaneer thread ....................... That list of mods is very interesting. Did anyone notice that 1112 introduced vortex generators in Sept 70, 1553 deleted them in Sep 72 and 1396 re-introduced again in Mar 76? Having worked in M of D project office (far more years ago than I care to remember) where such things were "managed" with the aircraft manufacturers, implementation of such mods never happened with immediate effect, so there could have been many buccaneers about without them right up to 76 I guess?

Good news for me as one of my stash buccaneers is the 1/100 Tamiya!

Fascinating I'm sure.

Terry

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

What he ^ said.  I’d love to see someone produce a good 1/48 Palouste.  I already have flight deck tractors of several eras...

For sure it's one of those things that give life to a kit  and it's small enough it doesn't require a big base. My intention is surely to build one.

UzAs2GI.jpg

In the past I built these, which were those used to start up Italian Starfighters . 

ZSb69om.jpg

r8hrjqX.jpg

Ibuilt them of old hotel key cards and Frequent flyer programmes.

For a short period I also produced them , but I couldn't standresin, and I was busy with my job, so I abandoned them.

About the Paluouste , I'll try to get some measures...James...HELP!!!!:rofl:

• Like 7

Blackburn were looking for a light gas turbine design to replace their small piston engines, and struck a licencing deal with Turbomeca of France.

This was for the Palas light turbojet. 

Three versions of the basic Palas followed,

one which could bleed off the excess air to be used for hot gas tip propulsion or air start, the Palouste 

one with an extra turbine stage, reduction gearbox and generator, as an onboard Auxilary Power Unit, the Artouste 

and one with a rear gearbox and drive, the Turmo

RR didn't get involved until they subsumed Bristol-Siddelley, which in turn took over Blackburn engines.

There is a Palouste starter pod at work, so if the info provided doesn't satisfy you I can try and get some extra pics.

PS I love that colour shot of Gannet XL451 'H-260' of 849 A Flt with the pod, first time I have seen it.  The pod has an 893 squadron motif on the nose, so I'm wondering if it has deployed to start a Sea Vixen that has landed away somewhere?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

There is a Palouste starter pod at work, so if the info provided doesn't satisfy you I can try and get some extra pics.

That's our boy!!!:worthy:

This is what I was hoping for. 

And if you couls take a few measurement that would help too!!! (total length, and different stages' length)

...and please... Metric !!!!:rofl:

And thanks very much to Manuel too, who supplied a most useful link and pics!!!:yes:

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Blackburn were looking for a light gas turbine design to replace their small piston engines, and struck a licencing deal with Turbomeca of France.

This was for the Palas light turbojet. 

Three versions of the basic Palas followed,

one which could bleed off the excess air to be used for hot gas tip propulsion or air start, the Palouste 

one with an extra turbine stage, reduction gearbox and generator, as an onboard Auxilary Power Unit, the Artouste 

and one with a rear gearbox and drive, the Turmo

RR didn't get involved until they subsumed Bristol-Siddelley, which in turn took over Blackburn engines.

PS I love that colour shot of Gannet XL451 'H-260' of 849 A Flt with the pod, first time I have seen it.  The pod has an 893 squadron motif on the nose, so I'm wondering if it has deployed to start a Sea Vixen that has landed away somewhere?

Yes, I saw the 893 badge too. It could equally have been something as mundane as 893 having a serviceable Palouste at the moment when A Flight needed one to land away.  

I also don't think I have seen that A Flight badge (below the H on the fin) before; hard to tell from this distance, but it looks like an Albatross, which would make sense.  A Flight were always known as Aardvark in my day, but Albatross rather more logical; they retained the red & black fixation, just as B Flight did the yellow & black B motif.

I hadn't made the connection with the Artouste; top knowledge.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I also don't think I have seen that A Flight badge (below the H on the fin) before; hard to tell from this distance, but it looks like an Albatross, which would make sense.  

It is indeed an Albatross, one of the nicest fin badges IMHO.  It does apear on the other Gannets but is very subtle and doesn't show up well in B&W images.  Unfortunately Sword dont include this marking for their A Flt option in the box, but I believe it is on the Alleycat set.

r8hrjqX.jpg#

Only the Italians could make a ground starter set that looks as stylish as that!B)

Re Palouste, I will do my best Massimo!

• Like 3