Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Your usual bravura paint working on that Gannett's innards Massimo. :thumbsup2:

Anticipating more of the same treatment on the Bucc.

Lovely to catch up with progress here as usual.

Tony

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Be aware that Keo :beer: will probably dissolve the polystyrene.

I'm on a diet based on chicken kebab, olives, mixed salad ,Haloymi grilled cheese and Keo, which comes in nice little 660ml bottles!:yahoo:

and I've got an interesting reading too!!! It's the written version of the subject I'm trying to replicate!!! 

plNmk12.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, massimo said:

I'm on a diet based on chicken kebab, olives, mixed salad ,Haloymi grilled cheese and Keo, which comes in nice little 660ml bottles!:yahoo:

It's a hard life, uh? :D:D

Ciao

• Haha 1

Good book

nice diet too

5 a day plus Keo

right then off to open a Galereux in honour of the occasion  (edit Three ish)

Edited by perdu
'cos this is the year of the bucc, yahoo!
  • Haha 1

Nice start on the Buccaneer. Co-incidentally, I have one on the bench at the moment as sort of mojo restorer so I shall be interested to see your take n the subject.

Martian

• Like 3

Nice to hear from Martian!

After having left the fuselage halves to settle overnight, this morning it was time for some scraping and sanding.

Unfortunately I've run out of Tamiya quick glue and I'm working with STD Tamiya geen cap. Before trying the quick one I thought Green cap was the thinnest thing in the world...now it looks like Jam, compared to her new realative!!!

First I used the cutter to scrape the styrene in excess and then I finished with wet sanding.

DmXQZes.jpg

bn9NccS.jpg

lwPWk7J.jpg

Now I can go to work.

Hacve a nice day!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 6

On 31/1/2018 at 22:08, Scimitar said:

Be aware that Keo :beer: will probably dissolve the polystyrene.

hW6h20C.jpg

You were right! I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. Anyway...it didn't get wasted!!!!:rofl::drink:

Tonight I got back to the hotel and I thought that...I haven't got a clue of what the cockpit looks like !!!:blush: The original intention was to purchase the Airwaves fret or the Eduard one, but I havent got them now and I'd like to go on with something.

I decided to go through my pictures again and try to determine at least the overall idea of cockpit layout.

Added to this, dimension is a big question mark because I've been modelling for years in 1/48th and I got used to that scale. In 1/2nd I'm lost!:confused:

After one hour I realized the pencil line which identified theinstrument panel position was wrong!!!

Cbol9SX.jpg

So I cancelled it and drew a new one with a different angle!  This is what I call "progress!!!:yahoo:

I thought it could have been enough for the night, but then I decided to identify some priorities for the works to be done and thus decided my priority for the night had to be... 

P57P7Yh.jpg

...the throttle!!!:drunk:

This is the only item in the cockpit that caught my eyeand the reason for this is...it's big!!!

qJJNxIo.jpg

After some filing I got the shape right.

kZ39nxW.jpg

ZXvIj6i.jpg

k4NwuhH.jpg

OeFJXiS.jpg

I did two cuts and I built a couple of handles from styrene flat and round rods. This is the result.How it'll reach Italy unscathed is a mistery....

PWZyfh9.jpg

To give a bit of protection to the thrttle, I decided to glue it to the port (attaboy!!!:smartass:) fuselage half.

WwGd9hh.jpg

Now you can't get to the throttle levers even if you want to, unless you 're equipped with really small fingers.

kvneZMK.jpg

That's it. My priority 1 job's done and now she's ready for a taxi trials in Bruntingthorpe!!! :rofl:

That's it for tonight!!!

N1qU2wG.jpg

Then I decided to lift it up a bit, as it didn't look in the right place. To help I glued the square profile along the cockpit side.As I was doing this, I thought it best to add it on both fuselage halves.

That's it for tonight!!!

4YIebIy.jpg

s9VGFrG.jpg

Then I decided to add a small frame ...I don't know how it's called!

HvtHGbK.jpg

ihwiC5q.jpg

Then I decided to add the consolle aft the Throttle and the angled panel on its top.

At the end I'm quite happy of the result.Tomorrow I'll refine the joints and do a bit of filing and sanding. The overall dimensions look fine...considering my pencil lines. 

Tomorrow night I'll concentate on the starboard (attaboy!!!:smartass:) consolle.

Now it's late and I need to sleep.

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 8

Massimo, do you ever sleep? :frantic:  :D  :D  And if so, do you lean on port or starboard? :rofl: 

Great detailing job as usual, 1/72 scale doesn't seem to put you in any trouble :clap: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hallo everybody!

This morning I cleaned a little bit the the port consolle and dd a couple of details. Tonight , after work, I drilled some holes to the plate at the cockpit's edge  and made a few more addictions. Then I sanded a bit of pencil powder and miwed with water I brushed the cockpit with it, to highlight details.

Here below a few pictures.

mdrCGq7.jpg

5i1KkP6.jpg

wRulUo4.jpg

erY2VQG.jpg

mEUBGxZ.jpg

Now I'm ready for the navigator's port consolle at the rear. From my pictures, I struggle to understend exactly how things were made, but If I get some inspiration I can do it!

Let's see!;);)

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

good evening,

tonight I stopped working at 4PM and I got to the hotel with 2 modelling hours in front of me, before going for dinner.

I concentrated on the navigator port consolle. This is where I got.

lS88r9K.jpg

2MSpsg9.jpg

n5JMlyG.jpg

NL1SyTa.jpg

WWGuTID.jpg

RZBRKpX.jpg

6qdT8HP.jpg

I'm quite happy with the result, considering the Macro effect of the pictures. The real thing , once painted , will do.

Now a few questions for the well informed:

1. I know the seats were placed out of center ( front seat to port and baack seat to Starboard, attaboy!!!:smartass:).I think in Courageous' topic somebody mentioned they were also angled....Is this true?
  2. From some of the pictures it seems to me the wind shield is also out of center with the front glass to port...:huh:, sort of those fitted to Canberras PR9 and sea Vixens... Is this the case or is it an optical effect?

Hope somebody's got an answer to these points.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, CJP said:

Massimo it is nice that you have reminded us that in these days of resin and etched aftermarket items that scratch building is still an option -  lovely work

CJP

To be honest , when the box arrived, I opened it and soaw the content...I felt really sad...:confused: and  started looking for aftermarket. I bought a resin set I'll never use, as it turned out to be really poor quality!!! (see page 9!!!) I'm still waiting for a reply from the manufacturer!!!:angry:

My intention was to buy the Airwaves PE fret, but it's out of stock and I wanted to get started. So it all started as joke, but Is I'm progressing, I'm really enjoying it and I think I'll sctratch build all details. As for the Gannet wing folds, I'm really enjoying myself.

I'm starting thinking I could have bought a Fujimi Phantom instead of the Airfix new model and go for some more scratch!!!

• Like 3

I think the windscreen is an optical issue as I am not aware of it being offset.

Regarding the seats.

One was 5 inches left of centre and the other was the same distance to the right.

Details are in here somewhere:  https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/48127-buccaneer-tales-5.html

This photo of the late Vice-Admiral Sir Edward 'Ted' Anson shows the seat angle.

Anson_3096742k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

It used to be called modelling :D

A long forgotten art which you are restoring to great effect Massimo - I keep expecting to see you to breakout the balsa, talc and dope* shortly

*Aficionados of the late and great Alan W Hall will explain if necessary.

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

328671_m.jpeg

And for good reasons the Buccaneer's cockpit was sometimes described as an ergonomic slum....!

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 3

Good morning fellas!!!

This morning, before going to work, I thought I could do something easy, and I nearly got to work late!!!

As the cockpit  port side is almost completed, I decided to add a bit of flooring and , in order to follow my building philosophy ( I like great words!!!) I glued it to the starbord fuselage half, together with the bulkhead.

Here below a few pictures

ldZhPo7.jpg

QJZMOVN.jpg

gP6AA1h.jpg

p2riK4J.jpg

Tonight I'lll concentrate on the starboard consolles!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 4

Great modelling Massimo

The drawings show no offset to the canopy and as far as I can find out the offsets on the seats were 2 inches port for the driver and two inches starboard for his worker according to a fine article from Flight magazine I was sent to read

I'm pretty sure a ten inch total would need a wider nose, shades of Hunter T7/8 ☺

The sculpting you are doing inside the cockpit is just about the finest in 1/72 scale I can ever remember seeing

Nice to note in that photo of the slum it seems I have the leg restraints in the right place on mine, phew

• Like 1