Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Scratch built Ark Royal with working folding wings and rotors on the Gannet,Wessex,Phantom and Buccaneer ?

Might just fit in if you move the Christmas tree :D

5049675235_a505bda686_z.jpg

You wouldn't believe it...I've already bought a Fujimi 1/700 Ark model on ebay from Japan!!!:rofl:

I know it isn't the latest configuration , with angled bridge, but it's worth a try!!!

Now a small update:

Last night I had got here.

IktYyov.jpg

This morning I was ready to restart from where I had left, but I had to buy 6 bulbs and so , after I had brought my son to school, I was on my way to the supermarket, when my precious Treasure ( I call her “Tesoro”) called me.

She said:” come back home and pick me up, I’ll come with you!”

So I did and, without knowing it, I ended up into a different supermarket, that, I learned then, appeared to be re-opening after a full re-styling.

Opening time was scheduled for 8,30 AM, but after enduring three  speeches  by the local Major, supermarket’s managing director, and another  politician, followed by a formal blessing by the local priest…at 9  I was still blocked in a queue to get in.

Once inside, on our way to find the bulbs shelf, we came across a few items we really needed at a very convenient price and…

CqKZ0nh.jpg

… in less than half an our we were ready to leave with our six bulbs in the trolley!!!

sK1crX9.jpg7hn2j3S.jpg

Tesoro always reminds me to check the receit before leaving, but I thought today I would leave her the honor!!!

9wZ4Zfy.jpg

Once at home my agony went on with another task suggested by Tesoro: replacing a plant pot .:wall::wall::wall::wall:

This afternoon I could finally take my needle files and I got to work. I couldn’t believe it!!!

CLFq9wU.jpg

After some good filing , this iis what I got.

XVW9oVo.jpg

Due to the scarce amunt of plastic at the back, I wouldn’t have been able to increase properly the air intakes to suit the pictures…

nnfzsmz.jpg

… thus I decided my old recipe for filling,consisting of cyano acrilate and…flour was needed .  I’ve used it several times and it’s really good snd really quick.

6ZCWcqe.jpg

It’s enough to pour some cyanoacrilate in the recesses to be filled and then some flour.This make the glue harden immediately,

mfDzfhz.jpg

After a few passes,that’s it! In a few minutes the gapis filled and this material is really good when it comes to be filed and sanded.

I39MqT6.jpg

Once I got some material to play with, I went back to work and increased the size of the intakes.

lOUP97c.jpg

Then I decided  to  sacrifice an awful tank from an Ocidental G-91 to create the bulges on the intakes’ inner side .

https://i.imgur.com/q92BGBe.jpg[/img]

Ws3hqmV.jpg

This is what I got.

m2F1sWT.jpghkDjolX.jpg

And this is the difference between last night’s…and tonight’s result.

For sure tomorrow I won’t be listening to Tesoro’s suggestions and try to concentrate on modelling , but, most important…

…I’VE GOT NO MORE BULBS TO REPLACE!!!

Good night

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 11
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

In the Ark pic I posted earlier.

Look at the front of the angled deck. Is that damage?

Certainly looks peeled back.

...well...I don't think it's  damage, they're both located in the same position at the sides...

Excellent job, Massimo - with the intakes, I mean, not the supermarket. No, wait, great job with that, too :D:clap:

Thanks for th tip about CA and flour; I normally use talc, but I'll give flour a try :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 29/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, bar side said:

Love the idea, but wouldn’t it look cool with 3 or 4 Tooms, a small row of Buccaners, couple of Gannets and Wessexes?  Like a scaled up UK equivalent of those Tamiya Enterprise flight deck pictures but in 1/72.   You know it makes sense....

If anyone has visited the Navy Wings enclosure at the Yeovilton Air Day, they may have seen the 1/72nd scale model of Ark Royal IV and its Air Group which is usually displayed in the marquee.

To continue this thread's other theme Navy Wings also provide an excellent Hog Roast lunch accompanied by rice salad and couscous as part of the day.

• Like 2

They did need to realign the enclosure though, it would have been an even better experience if you could see all the display line from the outside seats

Good beer though, and a fine way to pass the afternoon

Well done Navy Wings

• Like 2

Great work on those intakes, superglue and flour - who'd have thought it!

When you come to the fuselage sides, the strapping on the sides is correct for later service AEWs. 

I would rub them down a bit so that they are closer to the surrounding surface, and remove any curvature in their section, in reality they are flat sheets of alloy.

Scimitar, I see what you mean about the Ark shot, but I think it is the detail in that area playing tricks on the mind!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scimitar said:

In the Ark pic I posted earlier.

Look at the front of the angled deck. Is that damage?

Certainly looks peeled back.

30 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Scimitar, I see what you mean about the Ark shot, but I think it is the detail in that area playing tricks on the mind!

If you are referring to the front, left hand/port side of the flight deck, could it simply be a group of people?

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Good beer though, and a fine way to pass the afternoon

Well done Navy Wings

Ahhhhh - Swordfish Ale......

• Like 1

Good morning,

I'llstart with a few pictures I took at the Yorkshire Air Museum a few years ago.

the exemple on show wonderful! 

fBEs3Ot.jpg

2EGn2Dx.jpg

3Zj1pco.jpg

Sxj9IZG.jpg

nyAphLf.jpg

1VTnxuB.jpg

m73r75s.jpg

Now,  a quick update on how things are (slowly) progressing.

hkDjolX.jpg

Last night , looking at the pictures posted, I realized the two bulges were a little too big and the all thing reminded me... a hog ( ...if you know what I mean !!!:rofl:)

So this morning my files were busy again and after a... very exiting session, :wall:I got the two tesicles...eerrr bulges reduced to a more realistic and less anatomic  size and shape!!!

cWl8LyR.jpg

And this is the result: Gannet nose's release 3.0!!!:rofl:

Here below the evolution of the thing...

IktYyov.jpg

I39MqT6.jpg

q92BGBe.jpg

cWl8LyR.jpg

and the hog's metamorphosis.

m2F1sWT.jpg

hkDjolX.jpg

WOpmWUR.jpg

Tesoro may have some projects in mind which may differ a little from mines...thus...I'll keep you posted!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Richard E said:

f you are referring to the front, left hand/port side of the flight deck, could it simply be a group of people?

I don't have the technical skills to circle the bit in the photo so please bear with me.

Look to the right of the centreline in front of the Sea King. There is a group of people and an 'S' shaped line to their right. The starboard white lines don't appear to line up either.

As James said earlier it is probably an optical illusion (or I need to take my new glasses back to optician)

Apologies for the diversion Massimo

EDIT.

Found this photo which shows the area immediately in front of the angled deck. Looks a different colour but I think that is a trick of the light on the angled down bit.

6b1f80c79925b7cb663f42b7731ca381.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I don't have the technical skills to circle the bit in the photo so please bear with me.

Look to the right of the centreline in front of the Sea King. There is a group of people and an 'S' shaped line to their right. The starboard white lines don't appear to line up either.

As James said earlier it is probably an optical illusion (or I need to take my new glasses back to optician)

EDIT.

Found this photo which shows the area immediately in front of the angled deck. Looks a different colour but I think that is a trick of the light on the angled down bit.

Even if it is fresh paint, it doesn't mean anything was necessarily damaged; flight decks get a serious pounding and the surface deteriorates quite quickly - so the deck engineers patch the paintwork whenever they get the slightest opportunity.  Look at almost any photo of an RN carrier closely (unless it is fresh out of build or refit) and you'll see sections of different coloured paint (to be strictly accurate, sections of paint of varying ages and amounts of weathering).  It's normal.

Taking that pic above, the flight deck nets and sponson underneath the front edge of the angled deck are pristine - she certainly hasn't rammed any mega-tall dockyard walls with it. 

14 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Agreed - I understand what you're looking at now ..

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

EDIT.

No apology needed, everything is for a better knowledge of the subject, so... be it!!!;)

I just can't see what you mean on the picture...probably some patched deck damage...:wonder:

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Still laughing about your quick trip to the supermarket!

SURE I'M NOT!!!

50 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Deleted as churlish to non-English friend!

["Cruise" vs "deployment"]

Don't worry, I'm not offended at all!!! Een if I spent a good part of my last 30 years' life in the UK, I still check with Google Translator, (now avaliable!!!) to be sure I'm using the right word, and if I say something wrong, I'm happy to think it may inspire a sincere laugh!!!:rofl:

But in this case I used the word "Cruise" on purpose,  as a citation of the article on Aircraft magazine issue of April 2011, which inspired me. See title on the picture below!;)

lXWcctt.jpg

Despite that...

...I would probably have used the word "cruise" anyway, thus thanks for telling me the difference!;)

Ciao 

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

In that last shot you can see a definite change to deck shape, just to st'b of the waist cat strop catcher.   I wonder if the pics were taken not long after that mod and we are seeing the newly modified and painted area.  I think the previous shot shows these mods as well, which is that squarish bit jutting out inboard of the waist cat.

When you look over historical images it's surprising just how many minor shape changes and flight deck paint schemes she had.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

If anyone has visited the Navy Wings enclosure at the Yeovilton Air Day, they may have seen the 1/72nd scale model of Ark Royal IV and its Air Group which is usually displayed in the marquee.

To continue this thread's other theme Navy Wings also provide an excellent Hog Roast lunch accompanied by rice salad and couscous as part of the day.

Sounds like a must see.  Always had a great admiration for large sized scratch built ships.  Just don’t know enough about them, so stick with kit aircraft!

That intake area shape is the stuff of nightmares

My Frog one is too skinny, doesnt run far enough up the prop diameter and the AEW one shown at the top is wider than the photos I have gleaned

Serious reassessment of mine is in order, glad you showed us this Massimo

Stupidgoo and flour was that?

Hmm

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Even if it is fresh paint, it doesn't mean anything was necessarily damaged

I think I have muddied the waters even further in my attempts to clarify matters :sorry:

I posted the second pic in an attempt to show the angular outline of the forward part of the angled deck which may be accounting for what I see in front of the Sea King on the centreline and to the left of the Sea King spotted behind the Buccaneers. I wasn't suggesting that the new looking paint indicated damage so apologies if that is how it came across.

As very few people see what I'm talking about, I think in fairness to Massimo, I'll let this part die a natural death

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

My Frog one is too skinny, doesnt run far enough up the prop diameter and the AEW one shown at the top is wider than the photos I have gleaned

The engine inlet on the AEW.3 is appreciably bigger than that of the other types.  More powerful Mambas sucked more air and the gearbox was deeper necessitating the deeper nose profile of the AEW.

You have both done well to replicate what is a very distinctive part of the Gannet.

Scimitar I think you make a valid point, I think the pics were taken shortly after a mod, the orange lines the original shape, the yellow the change

38811507951_7a5a6dafd8_z.jpgark1 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

The engine inlet on the AEW.3 is appreciably bigger than that of the other types.  More powerful Mambas sucked more air and the gearbox was deeper necessitating the deeper nose profile of the AEW.

Scimitar I think you make a valid point, I think the pics were taken shortly after a mod, the orange lines the original shape, the yellow the change

You're  right!

First I referred to the pictures posted on Perdu's thread and, once I saw the AEW3 picture...I had to correct the bulges!!!:swear:

Since you drew the orange line on the picture, I understand what Scimitar was talking about and I was a modification. It'll be real fun to convert the Fujimi model!!!:wall:

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I think I have muddied the waters even further in my attempts to clarify matters :sorry:

As very few people see what I'm talking about, I think in fairness to Massimo, I'll let this part die a natural death

I'm really grateful to Scimitar for finding a subject which kept the interest of the most alive, while I was dealing with most important matters.:yes:

Earlier this morning,I said I suspected Tesoro was planning something for my sunday afternoon and I was right!!!

Christmas is approaching (or would it be better to say "coming" as it isn't going to land? :think:) and the timing was perfect to make some....

...Tortellini!!!

Some of you may think spaghetti bolognaise is my town typical dish, but that's false. Our traditional pasta is tortellini and it's what everybody has on Christmas day.

It's basically a square of pasta with a filling made of pork meat, mortadella, parmesan and egg, bent and shaped around a finger to get the shape of a knot (or belly button, if you prefer).

An old tradition wass to fill one tortellino with black pepper, to laugh at the face of whom got it. Nowadays it doesn't sound that much fun, but years ago, when families were larger with less food to share, they didn't need very much for a good laugh. 

jyDQCOI.jpg

Zql8uXx.jpg

kR2yg2g.jpg

As some of you tried to figure out the identity of some sort of...I don't know, at the front end of the Ark's deck, I've got another mistery for you: 

I'm not sure, but ... there might be something strange in my kitchen, but I don't see what it is!!! :wonder:

uIPy0Lm.jpg

So for today my modelling had to be postponed. 

Thanks for watching!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3