Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Lovely work there Massimo..this whole project is inspirational.

Regarding the strengthening plates on the airbrakes. Does anybody know when they were added?

Also found this photo of a bloke bumming a jolly in a Buccaneer but the detail may be of interest

sep-22-1977-prince-charles-jets-off-ams-

• Like 5

Good evening....ehm...morning!:D

Before concentrating on my last progress, I thought it was worth sharing this.

I found it on the toilet door...please read the instructions ...

CPDNney.jpg

To use Bill's euphemism, I'd say the "performer"  is... "sitting proud"!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back to Buccaneering , now!!!

tonight , when I got to my room, I filed and sanded the airbrakes' plates 

ie6SMBv.jpg

I added some plates around the side slots' inner perimeter and some front ones.Detail will follow once everything has dried.

RE2FEQH.jpg

Then I made four hinges , a fulcrum pin and locking nut andfinally the cylinder. I'd like to se if I can replicate the opening system...

d11f8Zo.jpg

EM6bbhL.jpg

That's it for tonight!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Good morning!

I see some of you are worried about my room's condition and house keeping health, so ,Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce my portable working bench!!!

yaW6bP2.jpg

Once I'me done , all tools are put back into the blue bag, courtesy of Air France,and all plastic cardsheets into the folder.

AdnDKQl.jpg

As for the dust and plastic bits...I throw the unused bits in the binn and clean the table before going to work.

Anyway I've been travelling for bout 30 years without modelling.

My modelling activity abroad is dictated by the small dimensions of the job to be done.Everything fits into my suitcase. As I get to a stage where I risk damaging things...I start with something else, as I did with the Gannet and Buccaneer.

Now, will you please excuse me? I've got some hinges waiting for me and an hour before I go for breakfast!:rofl:

I'll post some more pictures later.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Ok this is where i got. I glued the hinges and I dry fitted the two shells and their driving cylinder.

Here below a few pictures of the different stages. 

XaEtWw8.jpg

hxNZ3VI.jpg

SZ89O0u.jpg

HdOf1aq.jpg

5MsYZ8G.jpg

avRiYHx.jpg

EclSwKF.jpg

2s5jYy5.jpg

Must go to work now!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 11

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Those airbrakes look like they could actually operate!:surprised:

Agreed :clap:

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Plastic dust in the bin, I just hope the drug squad isn't following you around!:lol:

:rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

Those airbrakes look like they could actually operate!:surprised:

They actually do!

...you see...I needed an umbrella!!!Just don't know how it'll work under heavy rain!!!

zuVTrg9.jpg

Back to modelling...not yet, I think you have to see this...

NrPmFa1.jpg

pdTOlPx.jpg

An alarm clock projecting the time on the room ceiling!!!:gobsmacked:

This is very useful, expecially on the other side of the Atlantic as I normally wake up several times during the night and this avoids me dropping the glass of water I normally keep on the bedside table,letting the TV remote controller fall on the floor, standing and hitting the chair foot with mine and all this trying to reach my cellphone just to realize... it's too early!!!!:rofl:

Ok , back to track now.

Last night I was so tired I sat with my laptop in front of me to try to understand how the fuselage end is made, but I fell asleep oon my chair, thus i decided to go to bed around 7,30 PM!!!

This morning I got up at three and started working on the fuselage end. The airbrakes system isn't the most straight forward system I've seen ...expecially if compared to simpler airbrakes like those fitted to....the remaining aircraft allover the World!!!

...not a bycicle brake !!!:rofl:Must have been really good!!! :rofl:

Reminds me a...living thing!!!:rofl:

miTtZkd.jpg

I started with the bottom terminal plate, which was real fun!!!

6DW0Im3.jpg

To make the top frame, I started from the drawing board,

ScfFFns.jpg

then cut the part and scribed the middle lines to ease its bending (could be a good system to build a coaming!).

8I4RtDk.jpg

On my third attempt I got the right size.I cut and drilled a hole to the front pate.

HzFAOMD.jpg

I made it slightly bigger and I'll refine its shape later.

That's it for now!

Breakfast time!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 8

Massimo, thanks for posting a detailed description of the steps needed for this bit. It's very reassuring knowing that it took you a few attempts to get there, I was starting thinking you were an alien ... :frantic::D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi mates,

No progress today.

After a last minute problem at work (:headbang::headbang::headbang:) I got out and, after a mild week, weather in Montreal had decided to give its best when I had to drive to the airport!!!

k2KuSXz.jpg

This is how I found my car just before leaving!!!

How do you call freezing rain ...gales ???

U9wWB0k.jpg

Anyway, after a shower in my room, I safely got to Trudot  Airport and now my aircraft has just landed. In les than 2 hours I should be on my way to Europe. 

Next week I'll be home and the following one, I'll enjoy a few days in Yorkshire, Pontefract's waiting for me!!!

FMfv5YA.jpg

Still have a lot of work to do on my traveling companion, who's here now and will follow me to the UK.

I'm considering applying to her fuselage the decal flags of the countries she visited!!!:rofl:

...what  stupid idea...forget it!!!:tmi:

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon Mates,

Just landed at Paris GDG and having a rest (and a few glasses of red wine!!!)at AF lounge.

J0lfiRy.jpg

In the last hours, I've been mainly monitoring what's happened on other threads and of course  first in the list is Bill (Perdu)

I'm really impressed for the professional approach in searching the truth about the Buccaneer canopy, which is now the  fourth most popular saga after Star Wars, Harry potter and the Lord of the rings!

Forgive me Bill, but my Treasure always tells me at 53 I should grow up and stop making jokes about everything, but ...that's me!!!

Anyway, one thing at a time...

My approach to Modelling is different. If it looks right...then it's right.

This means rather than a vernier (caliper) I use some visual references to size my modifications.

Thanks to Richard(Scimitar), who posted Prince Charles ' picture in the "looker"'s seat(I'm learning fast, attaboy!!!) I now have a visual reference for the Buccaneer seats' dimensions.

sep-22-1977-prince-charles-jets-off-ams-

eYQcnfv.jpg

I won't use a vernier , but I'll take Prince Charles' ear span as a reference for a scientific experiment.

Looking at the picture a, You can clearly see that the the black top frame of the ejectable seat is approx the size of Prince Charles' ear span.

You'll also clearly notice that the parachute container (the back of the seat) is wider than Prince Charles' ear span.

Looking at the second picture, Bill's seats are wonderful and very close to the real thing, but I'd say the top black frame is slightly too wide.

Trying to translate this concept into a mathematical formula , let's say that:

Buccaneer's seat's top frame=Prince Charles' ear span<Parachute pack

So, once back,

1. I'll cut the seats' top frame off both seats,
  2. I'll cut them vertically in the middle
  3. I'll glue them together, resulting narrower.

I 'd like to confirm Bill's seats' shape is absolutely right, thus I'll do my best to narrow their tops, without removing or adding anything.

All this is intended to be just an "academic discussion" to compare different approaches to the same problem.

I'd like to end saying Prince Charles' ear span deserves a place of honor besides other universal sizes as LB, m, inch, foot and so on!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I feel I should warn you that Pontefract is not entirely unfamiliar with rain.

You'r right...there might be some rain!!! "That's why the grass is so green!!!"

There's a nice group of dynamic modellers there who meet in the park inside the race course. Sometimes, when I'm there, I like watching them flying.(if it isn't raINING!!!)

By the way, how are you getting on? I miss your updates on Navy related beloved subjects...

Hope you and  Martian are back to operation soon as I hope will be Freitag, who seems to have dissapeared...May be he's opened P.E.Land in a warm country...

• Haha 2

I am fine, thanks; wrist making decent progress according to medics (it’s stopped hurting, which is good enough for me - but still encased until next Friday).  I have remained busy, but preparing drawings of HMS Fearless to inform a future build, rather than doing anything that requires two hands.  [Shut up, Ced].  Progress can be seen in the Maritime section, “Explicit Women” thread (less revealing than the title suggests, I’m afraid!). Normal (?!) service will be resumed soon.

I think the Prince of Wales aural span should be adopted as a standard unit of measurement.  We could call it the “Chucklug”.

I second your thoughts re the Martian and the Mud-Moving Lawyer; both much missed (as is Trucky Debs).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

I agree with 'im

The Royal Heirlugs should become a standard measurement, also agree Massimo that reducing the width of the top box is a priority

Easy enough to remove the pointy canopy breakers and replace later with some plasticard ones when you get it right

Go for it, I was guesstimating the relative sizes, it is good to have a comparison point, the Heirlugs indeed

Also joining in with sad thinks of deposed friends, Steve however assures me that it is self imposed pressure of work that has caused the hiatus in Hawkery

Calls himself Arnie "I will return"

Well I'm not arguing with that young fellow

• Like 4

On 2/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, massimo said:

ns.

Thanks to Richard(Scimitar), who posted Prince Charles ' picture in the "looker"'s seat(I'm learning fast, attaboy!!!) I now have a visual reference for the Buccaneer seats' dimensions.

..I've got similar pics taken at an open cockpit day in Manston

xv352cock2.jpg

xv352cock.jpg

• Like 1