Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Hubbadubbadoing - that's some lovely surgery on the airbrakes Massimo.

No wonder your happy face is happy. :lol:

I read somewhere in the rules and regulations for the forum that all members are  required to build a Buccaneer within five years of joining the site, so I have bookmarked yours and Bill's threads to pillage for ideas when my time comes....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

I read somewhere in the rules and regulations for the forum that all members are  required to build a Buccaneer within five years of joining the site

Oops, I think I'm due this year, then ... :frantic:  :D

Ciao

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I read somewhere in the rules and regulations for the forum that all members are  required to build a Buccaneer within five years of joining the site, so I have bookmarked yours and Bill's threads to pillage for ideas when my time comes....

If there was an easy one to build I would. 

Hats off to thee that build the available kits, let alone those that super detail and convert to other Mks!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You know when something dawns on you and you wish you said something earlier!

@massimo you might already know this and have catered for it already so forgive me if so.

But just in case, the cockpit isn't perfectly symmetrical and the joystick and its box, the pedals and the PAS/HUD are offset slightly to port, I assume to give the pilot better natural sense with the offset seat.  In 72nd scale it would be barely noticeable though the HUD offset is more noticeable.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2018 at 23:25, 71chally said:

You know when something dawns on you and you wish you said something earlier!

@massimo you might already know this and have catered for it already so forgive me if so.

But just in case, the cockpit isn't perfectly symmetrical and the joystick and its box, the pedals and the PAS/HUD are offset slightly to port, I assume to give the pilot better natural sense with the offset seat.  In 72nd scale it would be barely noticeable though the HUD offset is more noticeable.

Hi James,

I took this in consideration  and both the pedals coulmn and the stick support were glued offset to port. Once fitted them to the starboard fuelage half it isn't so noticeable as the starboard consolle is a little thicker than I meant and I'll thin it down a bit. the HUD housing is offset too , and this is well visible here below.

gCMZMkI.jpg

You should see a misalignment between the all cockpit base.

Now a small update:

Before coming home from cyprus, I realized something  was missing at th front...the front wheel bay , so I went to work .

WCAuwzc.jpg

As its side walls are angled in the lower section, I made a frame with 2mm thick styrene, which I filed to create the angled parts.

For the wheel housing in the roof I copied what Bill (Perdu) did on page 10 of his topic.(link hre below): I drilled 3 half holes lined up and filed them to get the right shape.

As it was rough inside, I brushed some liquid glue and left it to set , which smootered things down.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021952-navy-ating-buccs-fizzzing-along/&page=10

MxTWYWK.jpg

McScr7H.jpg

fb0Kkdl.jpg

B9ttWh2.jpg

Once dried, I filed and sanded things down , to get into the dedicated pace under the cockpit.

All this happened in Cyprus, then I came back home and my Treasure had a surprise for me...

...after thirty years I finally got a display for my kits!!!

She found it second hand on a What's up group and yesterday Iewnt to pick it up.

Here're some pictures.

7S8mBpQ.jpg

mwPdTxH.jpg

S22tLFk.jpg

P7J7BnU.jpg

SeacdMt.jpg

a0JEblH.jpg

4iHvwLR.jpg

This is what kept me busy yesterday!!! 

I also carried out some repairs to old kits which were placed in "temporary" paces and finally found a home!

Thus no more interventions were carried out on my Buccaneer or Gannet.

I' ll try to do something tonight and keep you posted!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 12

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, TheBaron said:

Hubbadubbadoing - that's some lovely surgery on the airbrakes Massimo.

No wonder your happy face is happy. :lol:

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, giemme said:

Oops, I think I'm due this year, then ... :frantic:  :D

Ciao

You can rest easy - all "cruel and unnatural" punishments have now been officially banned :)

• Haha 3

Having watched this again I noticed something sticking out of the bomb door on the starboard side of '030' (from 3:49) It looks like a fuel dump pipe as fitted to the S50s. Any suggestions ?

In same shot,what is sticking out under port fuselage at wing joint? Apologies Massimo for the slight hijack..hope you enjoy the film though.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure it's the fuel vent for the extra range tank fitted inside the bomb door.

The other bit was hard to tell until the landing shot, where it looks to be the port side catapult hook door in the open position.

I love that sequence from Sailer.  "Once more and he will have to divert to St Mawgan", that happened for real with a Phantom!

Lovely cabinet there Massimo, jealous of that one

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everybody,

you may have noticed that when my Treasure is around, my time for modelling reduces dramatically!

Anyway I found some time for a small progress.

As already explaind earlier, the resin nose cone was a bad surprise for me! Its banana profile left me speachless...no, I'm wrong...I went on "talking " for a while!!! Up to now I have received not even a word by Alleycat and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, but there are worse things in life, thus I thought if I can spend a week scratch building a cockpit, I may spend an evening correcting a nose cone, even because my attempt to correct the kit's cone was...far from success!!!

eiXFoWc.jpg

In the picture the two options side by side.

fvvPE0N.jpg

Wu5NXrU.jpg

For the resin cone to fit, I had to shorten the fuselage a bit.

0vTJRjw.jpg

Then I removed the bulge under the cone,not to damage it during the shaping process.

2assJNA.jpg

ZBmtz7A.jpg

I added CA liquid glue and flour, then I filed it down until I was quite hally with the shape.

Eeuu4Zn.jpg

WUTxoZ8.jpg

I think we're nearly there! With the canopy in place, the Buccaneer profile is respected.

D6HdeQZ.jpg

v5SZmma.jpg

A couple of images to show the overall project's progress.

3Pxrvn1.jpg

And to finish, my last arrival! The old lady!!! For her build I think the Maritime section may be more appropriate.

Question for the Admins:

Is there a possibility to keep the topic visible on both Maritime and Aircraft sectionor do I have to start a separate one for the Ark's build?

That's all for tonight. 

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 6

The new Cabinet of Dr. Massimo looks superb - as do the amazing improvements to the Buccaneer. I just love seeing these transformations you're achieving that give an old kit fresh life!

:worthy:

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Valentine day was booked for my Treasure and thus no time for modelling tonight!!!

Anyway as I got home from work, I found the Ark Family had grown!!!

eSVBxPy.jpg

DKaJtyI.jpg

This one arrived this afternoon!

VkDbfOJ.jpg

Decals shouldn't be a problem, what surprises me a bit is the instrument panel's size which doesn't look like being the same scale on both sheets!!!

QQBIez1.jpg

Family shot! Only the Phantoms are missing.

Good night!

• Like 7

Hang on! Cheat!

That Aircraft Carrier model is never 1/72nd!

Never mind the excellent scratch building and general modelling that's been going on - the whole thing has been ruined for me now. 

Actually....

Not really - this is all outstanding, and I shall continue to follow this thread with interest (and a little jealousy...).

Full speed ahead Sir!

• Haha 1

good eening,

being at home means...no time for modelling!!!

This is the small intervention I did tonight:

1. I added thesmall lip in front of the wind screen, attached to the coaming front;
  2. I cut the wind screen off the canopy. This is one of the strong points of this model! You can change and add whatever you like on a model, but if the canopy is wrong...the model looks wrong.It doesn't really matter how old a model is, but if the canopy is god you can get a good result.I like the look of this canopy and I like it open as this will allow to see the cockpit detail and give a bit of life to the kit. Ladders will be added too.Seats are on their way from the UK, so...I can move on!!!

I think for the instrument panels I'll use the Airfix kit's decals courtesy of Richard (Scimitar). On this scale they'll look great!No need for any PE thus!!!

Thanks James!!!

TtRT8id.jpg

Now a few pictures of tonight small progress:

g2d9Gaq.jpg

PpoMxJO.jpg

JfOmbtx.jpg

mmQKLiR.jpg

That's it for now!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 3

As my Treasure was already sleeping, I decided to go on and add a litttle detail to the coaming.

x22wlbr.jpg

2ZHFRX5.jpg

final result. Unfortunately what may lay at the front of the coaming is a mistery to me, as I haven't got any photos showing that area.

As it is now, it isn't naked and once the canopy frame is painted and the wind screen wiper is in place, it should be fine.

Anyway any additional info or image about this is very welcomed!

zjk1tnw.jpg

YYFRJZU.jpg

VOSjweP.jpg

I aso stated cleaning and detailing the back cone, as the airbrakes opening system ...will be fun!!!

99SGzO9.jpg

9S2BnWv.jpg

It's really it now!!!

Good night!!!

• Like 5

Good evening mates!

Tonight I got home and found out an envelope had arrived for me!

Inside I found these, kind courtesy of Bill (Perdu).

b8cFaBl.jpg

jmr5Phq.jpg

Having seen them in Bill (Perdu)'s topic, I couldn't imagine they were so small!!!! anyway they look great !!!

I couldn't wait and tried to put them in to see if they fitted....

I think you need to see this!!!! :gobsmacked:

uWXTn3u.jpg

FY0g6Tu.jpg
voXi72t.jpg

To be honest , I don't know what to say....they fit perfectly and...if you shake the kit, they don't even move!!!

...and look at their offset!!!!!:rofl::cwl:

It doesn't look they were made in the UK and my pit in Italy!!!

DOFAOhb.jpg

...Dear Bill...I think they perfectly do indeed!!!

This is gonna be a joint venture!!!

Now I can finish the looker's pit!!!

Many thanks to Bill, whose resin seats are wonderful, as you can see!!!

I'll do my best to give them justice with some decent painting!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1