Massimo

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Seats look a bit like this for the S2

P1130291.jpg

I think mine are a trifle thick at the back 

Pleeeeease...don't show me those seats!!!!!:Tasty::bangin::nono::cry::wall:

I'll have to work hard!!

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I asked about the styrene thickness because it seemed a bit too thick for the coaming, but since you are going to sand it back

I bought several styrene A4 size cards a few years ago and  I keep them all together and haven't got a clue about their thickness. Feeling the one I used  I think it's about 0,4 or 0,5. Any thinner one would haave melted with Tamiya green cap. Lately I've tried the fast one with lighter cp, which would have been far better for the cockpit, but I've run out of it and thus I need to be work on the safe side!!!

Once properly shaped, I'll thin the edge down with a blade.

G9NvWc4.jpg

I've had my dinner and I have to say that , at the moment,  modelling seems to me too heavy a sport !!!

I think I could do with some ...planning, or at least I could make a point to see where I amwith my build.

Now, let me see....should be around here!!!:rofl:

Of6bR7O.jpg

• Haha 2

Ok, I couldn't resist and I did a few tworks here and there:

jTzq28k.jpg

I glued a plate at the floor's front, to reduce the view of the empty space in front of the pedals.

...and then I realized ...I DIDN' T DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE STICK!!!!!!!!:wall::rage::suicide::angry::headbang:

p2GU1h4.jpg

zNEi5TJ.jpg

I also added some blocks at the front of the side consolles.

ai8Ytr6.jpg

9jgodgm.jpg

fhBTIH4.jpg

Then I shaped the coaming edge. Instruments will be added later.

Good night

Massimo

• Like 3

I don't think I'd dare, this one is far superior

:(

Massimo if you use polystyrene to make the handle I am sure you can attach it to the pedestal using tube polystyrene cement and hold it still until it sets, not a big problem for you I would say

As long as you don''t let the pilot keep kicking it...

• Haha 1

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, massimo said:

and,so I decided to buy it.It looks really good and , even if I've got the new Airfix kit on order, I thought I may have found a use for both!!!

britphantomfg1boxtop.jpg

I look forward tosee both !!!

Then we looked the other way for a moment and when we came back, found that Massimo had recreated all of this .......................

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, massimo said:

] img

Cracking work Massimo, it's a pleasure to follow it.

Edited by Richard E
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

Superb work, that cockpit really is superb.  I think you and Perdus' S.2 and S.1s would look great together!

It would be great!!! ...looks like we're walking two parallel paths...Gannet and Buccaneer...

Bill, would you consider a Phantom build for the next future ? Or maybe a Wessex or a Sea King...Think about it!!!:rofl:

Talking about the Wessex, I've seen the Matchbox kit now( I hadn't at the time I bought my Italeri!) but having seen the fun I'm having with this Buccaneer, I thought I may go on with Ark's genesis and build the other aircraft related to her life, which means a nice yellow and blue-grey Wessex, Sea Vixen Scimitar and so on!!!

By the way , talking to my son on Skipe, last night he told me the old Lady's Fujimi kit has arrived!!!:clap::yahoo:

and there are some clear plastic aircraft with it!!!

P.S.

I may have resolved the seat problem brillantly...looks like some Tinkerbell guy came out  with the ultimate solution!!!:worthy::yahoo::clap2:

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

There is no way I could keep up with you Massimo even though I have a Frog Phantom and an Airfix Sea King on my list

I'm happy to be building them soon but there is the important matter of my second Gannet and Buccaneers to finish/start

How about let us consider it later this year, maybe I can crib some answers for questions from watching you

😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I;m starting to worry about whether you will be able to reach it all with a paintbrush!

Adrian

Hi Adrian, what I did up to now and the new hidden areas in particular, will need just a black base to create the shades and a grey layer, the base colour , followed by lighter dry-brushing. Thor theother details, I've built a base, but I'm still looking for the Airwaves or even Eduard pre-painted PE fret...haven't decided yet.Antway it won't be all brush work, but it's still early...now my biggest access problem is linked to the b****y hole for the pilot's stick!!! As it is now, I'll have to drill through the back plate and then through the stick's support, but I'm quite sure I'll forget about it and I'll end up having to drill through the radome, then through the front wheel bay's front side, then through the front wheel bay's back side, then through the back plate and then through the stick's support...

and I'm lucky it's a buccaneer and not a Starfighter, otherwise I would have had to drill though the pitot too!!!:angry:

There is no way I could keep up with you Massimo even though I have a Frog Phantom and an Airfix Sea King on my list

I'm happy to be building them soon but there is the important matter of my second Gannet and Buccaneers to finish/start

How about let us consider it later this year, maybe I can crib some answers for questions from watching you

😊

Don't worry Bill, this isn't a race! I'm going quite fast now because I'm away and it's the only think I have to do in the night, but once I'm back home, I'm sure my Darling will find other ways to spend my time...thus...it'll be a looooong journey!!!

Did ypou say Frog Phantom???

May I have a look at it?

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 4

I will get pictures later for your enjoyment

In the seventies, maybe eighties Frog entered into collaboration with Hasegawa co producing several aircraft for mutual release

The Phantom had companion Lightnings and I recall several other machines (Super Sabre was it?) available

I think Scalemates has a list

The big old Emily tickles bells too...

😕

Now look, don't bother trying to drill the impossible just buy a tube of Polystyrene Cement and slightly flatten the fixing end of the joystick before you stick it on

The longer drying time will help it to stick better than Tamiya Thin would

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Bill's optimism drove me into this...:rambo::hobbyhorse: and so...I'm in, I've reached my NRP (this is from the book I'm reading!!!:smartass:)

iuY57EN.jpg

I started with a bigger drill in the hope it would give one  more chance to get to the right point.

jibLZIG.jpg

Then I passed to a thinner one for the last mm and...TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

kZd8aJ4.jpg

Not bad at all isn't it?

Many thanks to Bill, for insisting on the easy task to be carried out and doing and for being really supportive ( and not only with the hole, but more about this later on in the build!!!:wink: 

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 6

Massimo you asked to see the Phantom from Frog, here she blows

This was first released by Hasegawa then Frog took on a partnership arrangement with them and released many joint models with them

Box

P1010161.jpg

Beneath the box

P1010164.jpg

And what's inside

P1010166.jpg

Oh look Bullpups, yahoo

The decal sheet got displaced many years ago but it is no kind of problem given the huge number of Modeldecal sheets I own

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Massimo you asked to see the Phantom from Frog, here she blows

The decal sheet got displaced many years ago but it is no kind of problem given the huge number of Modeldecal sheets I own

P1010161.jpg

LOOK -AT- THAT!!!!

I'm worried as I get excited (ok, "exited" may be a little misleading!!!:blahblahblah:), but I find boxes like this as attractive(or even more!) as a state of the art modern kit.

I'm 53 and seing a box like this  reminds me my dreams as a youngster, when the most I could afford was an Airfix 1 series bag and when a nice box art was enlighting the most wonderful fantasies!

At that time (1:)), modelling magazines weren't so many ( in Italy there was just one called "Aerei Modellismo" which was the modelling branch of its twin magazine called "Aerei". I remember reading those articles , with pictures absolutely B&W , where the most skilled modellers got the best results  of their models, never mind how old they were,by using  "plastic card" and "Ever green" styrene profiles.

At that time (2:(), the word vacfom was the only alternative to the main stream classics and the word "resin" or "PE" didn't have any meaning to the most. So , at that time, looking at those articles I thought: "I'll never model like that".

At that time (3:wall:) it was easier to improve cockpits...I remember my first Airfix Zero...the cockpit was made of a side pin coming out from each fuseage half and an S-shaped seat sitting (couldn't resist!!!:rofl:

The day I got to Modeland in Oulton Broad for the first time, among thousand of models, resin sets, decals sheets  end whatever a modeller could hope for, I chose.....some plastic card sheets  and some styrene assorted rods, tubes and flat profiles!!! I discovered they really existed !!!My life was about to change because ,from that day on, I knew I had the right stuff and it was only down to me!!! Never again I would have built a kit without some styrene in it!!!

And this is what I'm doing! I enjoy detailling , but I hate filling and sanding...oreven just putting parts together!!!

The number of kits I finished is desperately low, because once I'm reaching the end of the detailing part...i loose interest and I start something else!!!

By the way , all the above can be resumed in two sentences:

1. Nice Phantom, Bill!
  2. I'm getting old!!! 
Edited by massimo2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Hallo everybody!

At the moment , I’ve come to a stand still with the cockpit, as after having finally drilled the stick’s hole, looking no the sprues, I realized….THERE ISN’T a stick!!!

As this and the Gannet are my only kits in 1/72 scale, I decided to….postpone this problem to another time to be decided depending on my agenda!

I decided to go through Bill (Perdu)’s build, looking for … inspiration.

It didn’t take long to find what I was looking for!!!

Now I need to make a short premise: choosing the pose for this and the other aircraft in this project’s been a nightmare and it isn’t over yet.

I started my Gannet with the intention to depict it landing and for this reason I bought Eduard flaps, which are  meant to be fitted to the EAW3 version, whose wings are different!!! :rofl:

Of course, I discovered this later and now I’ll have to build another Gannet!!! (Bill …you may become my official …inspiring muse!!!)

I opted for the folded wings on my Gannet , which means in parking station.

For my Buccaneer I thought it would be great to show her ready for launch, but this means….all closed.

As the  inspiration for this project came from the picture reposted above on this page, I decided to go for a parked Buccaneer too and leave the “ready to launch” pose for the Phantom.

Now I’ve got two Phantoms coming and I may build the Fujimi one in parking pose, with the other two and the Airfix one “ready to launch.

Now I may need another short premises…:wall:

Anyway…to depict the airbrakes open I would need the Airwaves PE fret with Instrument panel, engines, airbrakes and seat belts.

This fret is actually out of Stock at Modeland in Oulton Broad and so thought about it and decided the only ones I may need to improve things are those for the cockpit, but for this it may be better to purchase the pre-painted Eduard ones , more expensive, but dedicated only to the cockpit and seatbelts, as those for the engines …would be useless as I probably choose the engines covers for a parking scene.

This brings me to the point and all the above could be resumed in two sentences

1.       My buccaneer will have the airbrakes open.

2.       I’ll scratch build the airbrakes interior.

So, after having come to page 4 on Bill (Perdu)'s topic,this is what I did last night.

SUeHbfb.jpg

I had previously glued the airbrakes halves, as Matchbox decided to split the fuselage in two sides, (unlike Airfix which chose the top and bottom fuselage halves’ solution) and to split the irbrakes in top and bottom, which makes it a bit more difficult to depict them open.

LU6kAXS.jpg

I started by separating the opening system’s side covers and the airbrakes shells from  and the fuselage end.

As the stick hole’s  drilling had gone well, I thought yesterday was my lucky day and I decided to carry on with the cutting to separate the two shells…

DW0tw93.jpg

I know the finlets would have had to be rebuilt anyway, but they were a real challenge and I went for it!!!:viking:

kxImSWO.jpg

Ssvp5bz.jpg

qubLgr3.jpg

37nCyst.jpg

I was quite happy with the result! Now I had …open airbrakes for my buccaneer!!!:yahoo:

3OExR7F.jpg

WhX8lOU.jpg

I couldn’t resist and tested them ….  Looks great doesn’t it????:D

nXe22Zk.jpg

Pz5mD6u.jpg

pV94ytj.jpg

Once I had the separated, I drew their profiles with the  finlets on two sheets of styrene, then I filed and sanded the shells and finally I glued them onto the thicker ones. I'll have then to cut them the right shape, while the thinner ones will be my interpretation of the Airwaves fret!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 7

Brilliant Massimo

For information purposes only, the Airwaves airbrake set is fractionally over size to use on Matchbox's tail unit and I rather wish I had used plasticard instead

And one pair (or is it two?) of the holes needs to be raised from the surface and t'other should be recessed to take it

Anyway, 'nuff of my 'wibble'™

Carry on. 😀 

Edited by perdu

19 hours ago, perdu said:

This was first released by Hasegawa then Frog took on a partnership arrangement with them and released many joint models with them

Box

P1010161.jpg

Just a gentle heads up Bill (and please tell me to bog off!), I know that you work absolute wonders with 'blank canvasses' but in this case you would have to turn the canvass into parchment!

The Frog/Hasegawa Phantom is based on the early American variants and not modified to represent the British Spey Phantoms.  This would require major surgery to the intakes/fuselage sides and the rear lower fuselage at the very least.   Not undoable in your hands I dare say, but an awful lot of work before you even get to your usual detailing and correcting standards.

You do well to stick with Matchbox, if you don't enjoy the finery that Fujimi brings!

Excellent work with the cockpit detail Massimo great fix to put the stick in!

Ha ha, yes I do know, in fact the timeline on Scalemates would make that obvious if I wasnt already an old f*rt who was around when it came out James

It is just one of those itches one is built to scratch, fortunately/sadly as I  also have several Lightning variants in dire need of my time in the near future, this 'toom might never make it to the bench

Pity huh?

;)

• Like 1