1/48 Walrus, 275 Sqn RAF, 1943

zebra

Here's my Airfix 1/48 Walrus, finished as W3037/PV-W of 275 Sqn, RAF Andreas, Isle of Man, 1943. Built for the flying boats and floatplanes group build (if you've not been following this GB, take a look - there's some fantastic modelling going on there).

This aircraft ticks a few boxes for me - it fits with my Manx-based aircraft theme, and I wanted to do an ASR Walrus. I had very little photographic evidence to go on - just a photo with half of a 275 Sqn Walrus coded W in the background - so the scheme is a bit speculative. Thanks to info from @Ivor Ramsden I was able to narrow the serial for this aircraft down to one of two and went for W3037 - so I think there's a 50/50 chance that the serial/code tie-up is right.

The Airfix Walrus is a lovely kit - I really enjoyed this build. I used very little aftermarket - just some seatbelts from a spare Eduard set, and decals from various sources. The yellow codes were made up by cutting up and rearranging the codes from the ASR option in the kit. I tried Mr Paint acrylics for the first time on this - very pleased with them.

This is my first biplane in about 30 years and my first attempt at rigging - not perfect, but showed me that it's nothing to be scared of, and although I'm not necessarily about to go and seek out more biplanes to build there are a couple of kits in the stash that might move up the to-do list now.

Build thread is here. On to the photos:

Walrus

Walrus

Walrus

Walrus

• Like 36

Thanks everyone! @Gorby and @Vinnie the rigging scared the bejesus out of me too, the thought of it has put me off biplanes for a long time. I won't say there weren't any frustrations but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Airfix provides plans and most of the points the rigging attaches to are moulded on (although a few have been missed and I still opted to drill holes to attach the threads to). I'm not about to start building things with loads of rigging at every opportunity, but probably won't be put off interesting subjects by the rigging again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zebra said:

Thanks everyone! @Gorby and @Vinnie the rigging scared the bejesus out of me too, the thought of it has put me off biplanes for a long time. I won't say there weren't any frustrations but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Airfix provides plans and most of the points the rigging attaches to are moulded on (although a few have been missed and I still opted to drill holes to attach the threads to). I'm not about to start building things with loads of rigging at every opportunity, but probably won't be put off interesting subjects by the rigging again.

Thanks for those reassuring words zebra. I keep putting my Swordfish on the bench, shake uncontrollably and put it back again. Perhaps I should man up and do it.:dinosaur:I can do this.:D 

• Like 2

You`ve done a lovely job on this old bird and glad to see that the Airfix kit is a nice build too, lovely paintwork and rigging.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

2 hours ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

Lovely job! I'm pleased that I could help with your research. If you were a bit closer to the Isle of Man I'd be asking to borrow it for the museum!

If I was close enough I'd say yes! I may get a chance to visit the IoM next year though, if I do I'll try to make it to the museum. Thanks again for your help - and I may well get to the Manx Dakota next year.