Help me build a Sherman +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Now I guess the turret is really rather important.  There is a tank commander figure you can pop in the main hatch if you leave it open – but for this one I think I might have the hatches closed.  What do you think?  Would the tank commander spend more time with his head up – or down???

Here is a ‘schematic’ of the turret…

sherman017.jpg

…and here are the kit parts…

sherman018.jpg

…I think the ‘hole’ is for the 50 calibre machine gun…

…I put two 50cals on my halftrack – but I have heard that they were often taken off tanks – hence the excess ones being used on the halftracks.  What do you think – on or off?

sherman019.jpg

...a lousy picture I know - but it looks OK in the flesh.  If I'm going to leave it off I need to fill the hole before I start.

Looking at this picture it looks like I will need 2 ‘whip’ aerials.  Does anyone know how long they should be and what to make them out of at 1/72 scale?

sherman021.jpg

I'm pretty sure someone told me that Fireflies needed their own 'body guard' of normal Shermans?  But I can't figure out why - can anyone shed more light on this???

I have been doing a bit of pondering this evening and I think I’ve ‘found’ a replacement machine gun for the small one on the mantlet.

The kit part is a small stub of plastic 1.1mm in diameter.  Now whilst having a crafty ciggy I spotted that the gas outlet on my disposable lighter had a tiny hollow metal tube that might fit the bill.

So after nearly blowing myself up whilst trying to dismantle it – I now have a small metal hollow tube that is 1.3mm in diameter – here are a couple of ‘very’ close up shots…

sherman022.jpg

sherman023.jpg

If youre going to pose this in a column. Id say leave the commander in the hatch. 

I used to use very fine wire for aerials on my tanks. 

For aircraft & armor you can use hollow brass or aluminum tubing for gun barrels. Thats what i use.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Well I've finally stuck something to something else - PROGRESS!!!

Remember this from last night???

sherman022.jpg

...well now we have this...

sherman028.jpg

...hopefully you can see I've hollowed the muzzle out too...

sherman027.jpg

...I'm liking that 'machine gun' - thank you BIC CIGARETTE LIGHTERS ;)

• Like 1

Now after @Army_Air_Force was kind enough to send me some Sherman photos I noticed that the 'real thing' has these...

sherman029.jpg

but the kit only has these...

sherman024.jpg

I pondered chopping them off - drilling a couple of holes and replacing them with wire - but what the heck - I was feeling brave and I had a bit in the drill - so I  closed my eyes and 'went for it'...

sherman025.jpg

...the same applies at the back - here is the 'real thing'...

sherman030.jpg

...and here is my attempt...

sherman026.jpg

not bad I think :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

How big are they on the model. It's years since I've had a 1/72 Sherman, but from memory, the hull is about 3 inches long. The lifting eyes must be tiny!

I've just measured it...

sherman031.jpg

... 2.5mm outside edge...

There is an even smaller one on the turret - I may leave that alone :lol:

sherman032.jpg

Wow - just found this WIP thread from @Bangor Lad ...

...and the RFI is 'inspiring'...

...if mine turns out anywhere near as good as these I would be really pleased.

Thanks for the inspiration Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:06, Bullbasket said:

British tanks tended to use 30 calibre mg's rather than 50 calibre, though that's not a hard and fast rule. In this scale, barrel diameter is going to be difficult to define.

John.

Hi John - is this the right kind of 30 calibre???

sherman034.jpg

I have a spare off the halftrack that I didn't use - as it looked a little 'puny'.

That said - I wouldn't want to stand in front of it when it was loaded :lol:

• Like 1

On 24/11/2017 at 23:36, BIG X said:

Looking at this picture it looks like I will need 2 ‘whip’ aerials.  Does anyone know how long they should be and what to make them out of at 1/72 scale?

Try a toothbrush bristle if it's long enough, or something similar.  They're more robust than wire, as they resist permanent bending unless they're stuck in one position for a while :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Try a toothbrush bristle if it's long enough, or something similar.  They're more robust than wire, as they resist permanent bending unless they're stuck in one position for a while :)

A bristle or a whisker maybe...

Now what did I do with my cat...

sherman035.jpg

ah - here she is - meet Pearl - now those are what you call whiskers.

• Haha 1

She's gorgeous! :wub: Also, I can tell she's not impressed with your idea already.  A shed whisker might work, but if you pull one out you'll likely regret it when you get back from A&E :owww:

• Haha 2

Most British Shermans had no pivot MG on the turret, but many had a pair of smoke grenade launchers on the turret side.

The Firefly was defended by the Sherman, it was the otherway round, the Firefly gave the Sherman platoon a better anti-tank capability However the 17 pounder gun's HE round was not as powerful as the American 75mm gun, so was less effective against infantry and anti-tank guns.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Niall said:

Most British Shermans had no pivot MG on the turret,

OK - I'm filling that hole in - thanks for that - I need input like this - Cheers Niall

2 minutes ago, Niall said:

The Firefly was defended by the Sherman, it was the otherway round, the Firefly gave the Sherman platoon a better anti-tank capability However the 17 pounder gun's HE round was not as powerful as the American 75mm gun, so was less effective against infantry and anti-tank guns.

OK Niall...  so if you had 3 that you could build as either M4A4 or Firefly -

would you do...

2 x M4A4 and 1 x Firefly

1 x M4A4 and  2 x Firefly

let me know...

2 hours ago, Mike said:

She's gorgeous! :wub: Also, I can tell she's not impressed with your idea already.  A shed whisker might work, but if you pull one out you'll likely regret it when you get back from A&E :owww:

Ouch - you were right about the cat - as you can see she wasn't up for helping her dad out...

sherman036.jpg

...luckily for both of us I remembered the dustpan and brush set hiding in the pantry...

sherman037.jpg

...perfect - long nylon bristles - now to find 2 clean ones...

sherman038.jpg

Thanks for the idea @Mike :goodjob: