Revell 1/24 McLaren MP4-25 Lewis Hamilton 2010

This is my first attempt at a Formula 1 car. I have always loved the chrome silver appearance of the 2007-2014 McLaren F1 cars, and it was exciting to see Revell had done a main line run of the MP4-25. This is probably one of my favourite looking F1 cars. That long F duct running down the spine really adds something to its appearance. 

In regards to the build, well it was a mixed bag. There was a very slight fit issue with the rear suspension which amplified itself as you assembled the back of the car. 

The decals were ridiculous. There's over 100 of them. Notably the green tyre wall decals were not long enough in some cases, and they (among others) were really hard to fit. 

The tyres in the box were warped and misshapen, so I had to source new ones. 

I used the Testors 1790 Chrome Silver over a black base. Just note that the chrome silver is a lacquer. And I made the noob mistake of putting that over the black undercoat which was acrylic! So after removing it all, I used an enamel black base, chrome silver with a metalizer sealer over the top. 

The driver figure was sourced online from GF models, and it was a very well detailed resin model. The decals for Lewis were home made (so don't look at them too closely), and his helmet was done the same way albeit with great difficulty. 

I have another one of these in the stash for the Jenson Button car, but with the difficulty of this kit and the time it consumed, it will be a while before that gets built. Fujimi do a MP4-26 apparently, so that might be done instead..

23844946_1192691810831121_86035416830989

23795624_1192691317497837_24985244194119

23844379_1192691087497860_42624425660920

• Like 6

For a first go at a F1 car you've picked a fairly complex subject, but managed to do a cracking job, well done sir!  :yes:

Personally I'm not much into F1 cars, but I must admit to having a Tamiya Michael Schumacher Ferrari F1-2000 in my stash. Maybe one day I might get round to building it, then again.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really nice work, at first I was thinking to myself, where did he get the decals for a Lewis Hamilton driver figure? Then I saw you made them yourself!

I've been looking for some like that for ages, I would like to do Hamilton, Button and Alonso for some of the F1 kits I have.

Rich

Edited by Rich G
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Rich G said:

Really nice work, at first I was thinking to myself, where did he get the decals for a Lewis Hamilton driver figure? Then I saw you made them yourself!

I've been looking for some like that for ages, I would like to do Hamilton, Button and Alonso for some of the F1 kits I have.

Rich

Yeah I couldn't find any either which led to making my won. I had to find the best looking images online, resize them to scale & then print them on decal paper. As complex as it was, it was far better than attempting to paint them. 

What was more perplexing was the real lack of F1 driver figures in that scale. Only GF models had anything worth looking at. Unfortunately no decals are provided. I don't know if there is an issue in making racing overalls & helmet decals due to their complexity, niche market or licencing maybe? 

Maybe the vintage F1 kits are more popular..

• Like 1

On 29/11/2017 at 3:21 AM, ArtickWarspite said:

Yeah I couldn't find any either which led to making my won. I had to find the best looking images online, resize them to scale & then print them on decal paper. As complex as it was, it was far better than attempting to paint them. 

What was more perplexing was the real lack of F1 driver figures in that scale. Only GF models had anything worth looking at. Unfortunately no decals are provided. I don't know if there is an issue in making racing overalls & helmet decals due to their complexity, niche market or licencing maybe? 

Maybe the vintage F1 kits are more popular..

Yeah, it seems that if you want decals for Senna or Schumacher there's no problem at all but anyone else is more difficult to source, particularly in 1/24 scale.

I may have to follow the same route as yourself on this one and make my own decals.

Rich

• Like 1