Airfix Hurricane

304th BRAT

21 minutes ago, 304th BRAT said:

Has anyone else seen the announcement on another site that Airfix are bringing out a new 72nd Hurricane Mk 1 in Feb 2018?

If Airfix themselves haven't made the announcement, this is no more than a rumour and less than credible. Airfix has been very good about keeping the details of future releases under wraps until they want to get the word out.

35 minutes ago, 304th BRAT said:

Has anyone else seen the announcement on another site that Airfix are bringing out a new 72nd Hurricane Mk 1 in Feb 2018?

On what site?

Maybe that one?

Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72

Pre-Order

New Tool

Expected: February 2018

It was out of stock and it is going to be restocked.

Edited by Botan

1 hour ago, 304th BRAT said:

the Airfix  link shows the fabric wing Mk.I,  I'd  be  very surprised to  a new tool Hurricane anytime soon from Airfix.

pardon my lack of knowledge on this one...

...what are the visual differences on this kit that show it as 'fabric wing' and what does it mean :blush:

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

pardon my lack of knowledge on this one...

...what are the visual differences on this kit that show it as 'fabric wing' and what does it mean :blush:

main visual difference from the CAD in link is the gunbay hatches,  but the outer part of the wing is fabric covered.

600 Hurricanes of mostly the L**** (*=number) and N**** were built like this. (first two Hawker batches)

Other visual differences are the ejector slots and the landing light are a wing bay futher inboard.

There are some  other small airframe details.

here is a walkround  of the only surviving fabric wing Hurricane (there  is a wreck being  rebuilt too)

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

this is  a IIB,  but as far as the wing goes, the metal A wing is the same apart from  the outer gun positions

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_iia/

fabric wing, note bay shape, it also shows the "big" flaw with the recent Airfix kits, (72nd fabric wing, 48th new tool)  where they have the wing/fuselage join as being a right angle, where the fuselage access panels are curved at the bottom. 

By "big" I mean a lot of work to correct.    They have a few other glitches,  but they are much easier  to sort out. 

They are a  'big' problem if you are not a Hurricane  nut,  but some older Aifix kit get it right.... :banghead:

Gun_bay.jpg

this is a metal wing wing,  note bay shape with a hexagonal  centre 

Gun_Bay_Hurricane.jpg

this is the B wing,  note outer gun bay

Gunbay_12gun.jpg

The fabric  wing kit is not set up to just add a metal wing.    As mosy buyers just want "a Hurricane"  I don't see Airfix doing any more versions soon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spaddad said:

Drat & double drat! Does anyone do a metal wing Mk1, I'd really like a couple,

cheers,

spad

. Well, there is the old Airfix Mk.I issued around 1978 and In pretty much constant production until the fabric winged kit was issued. It lacks detail and I think the nose is too tapered but it can be built into a reasonable replica. It should be easy to find a second hand copy. The only other option worth considering is the Hasegawa kit. This is much more expensive and harder to find. Hasegawa also made a mistake. They made the fuselage with a separate nose so that it could accommodate the MkII and Mk I. But they put the break for the nose at the firewall not, where it should have been, on the next vertical panel line back. If you can ignore this and the very prominent ribbing that they used to represent the fabric covered rear fuselage, it looks nice when built. Avoid the old Revell Mk.I and the Airfix Hurricane that was sold as a Mk.I/II without accounting for the different noses of the two variants. When you actually look at the kits available, the metal wing BoB Mk.I has not been well served in 1/72  by the model kit industry.

If you have a fabric-winged Airfix Hurricane plus the old 1970s metal-wing kit, you can also kitbash them together by splicing the outer wings, although you need to use an aftermarket canopy to get the subtly different shape of the windscreen fitted to Battle of Britain-era and later Hurricanes, and modify the fuselage just under the windscreen too.

I did this for Tom Neil's machine during the BoB group build a couple of years ago here, although no doubt there are still a few errors  Troy could spot, and I didn't attempt to modify the flared panels at the wing root!

18 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

If you have a fabric-winged Airfix Hurricane plus the old 1970s metal-wing kit, you can also kitbash them together by splicing the outer wings, although you need to use an aftermarket canopy to get the subtly different shape of the windscreen fitted to Battle of Britain-era and later Hurricanes, and modify the fuselage just under the windscreen too.

I did this for Tom Neil's machine during the BoB group build a couple of years ago here, although no doubt there are still a few errors  Troy could spot, and I didn't attempt to modify the flared panels at the wing root!

I wonder if it's possible to graft the Revell IIB wings (with outer gun panels deleted)  on to the Airfix Mk1.  The quality of the recessed  panel lines is quite similar. 

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

I wonder if it's possible to graft the Revell IIB wings (with outer gun panels deleted)  on to the Airfix Mk1.  The quality of the recessed  panel lines is quite similar. 

The Revell wings are too wide in chord at the root compared to accurate drawings, if the Airfix kit is correct here (and IIRC it is), there will be a mismatch in this area.

Said that, I'd rather have a wider chord on the wing rather than the opposite as trimming the trailing edge of the wing is easier than extending the root...

I did once shorten the fuselage of a Revell IIb and delete the outer wing guns to create another Hurricane I, but I've never done the Revell-Airfix kitbash. A quick play with the calipers on my two Hurricane Is suggests that the Revell trailing edge would overhang the Airfix by about 1.7mm at the outboard side of the centre-section/outer wing joint strip. Doable, but faffy!

I's really a shame we haven't got a 1/48 Fabric-winged hurricane. It covers an important part of the late thirties when Britain was re-arming and preparing for war plus the Battle of France era aircraft-Cobber Kain, Paul Richies etc etc. Someone needs to get on it.