1/72 Azur Cierva C.30, Spain 1936

This is the 1/72 Azur short run release of the Cierva C.30 Autogiro.

A curious looking aircraft which is unlikely to have seen use during the war, there were a few in the Spanish Air force before the war broke out but their fate is unknown.

The kit is what you would expect from Azur and didn’t cause any problems, it is best to take your time around the under carriage at the front as its very delicate, I also had a slight issue with the rotor blades as the resin part in the middle was damaged, I replaced those parts with stiff wire.

I finished the model in Mr Metal aluminium buff-able metallizer, with details painted in Tamiya acrylics. I used the kit decals but I think the markings are fictitious.

img_4667.jpg?w=748

img_4672.jpg?w=748

img_4671.jpg?w=748

img_4668.jpg?w=748

img_4675.jpg?w=748

img_4676.jpg?w=748

img_4682.jpg?w=748

img_4679.jpg?w=748

img_4685.jpg?w=748

img_4690.jpg?w=748

• Like 22

Lovely work. I had one of these but sold it on as I found it too daunting. I wish I'd kept it, but now I'm more likely to do it in 1/48. I love your paint work! The different shades are nicely subtle.

And in case you've ever wondered what a Spanish-marked C.30 looks (and sounds) like in the air:

• Like 4

Vey nice result indeed! You mentioned that the scheme is fictious. Frankly speaking I thought that it is a real marking. Since it was inAzur box it is reproduced frequently so it became almost a true one :)

I have found in net Spanish Republican post mark said to be from 1938 with Cierva C 30 over Sevilla cathedral church. 

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania cierva c 30 spain

It is something like VI-3 (?) written as code. Perhaps this could be a only testimony how she  was painted during SCW...

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

On 23/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, k5054nz said:

Lovely work. I had one of these but sold it on as I found it too daunting. I wish I'd kept it, but now I'm more likely to do it in 1/48. I love your paint work! The different shades are nicely subtle.

And in case you've ever wondered what a Spanish-marked C.30 looks (and sounds) like in the air:

What a bizarre looking aircraft!

On 24/11/2017 at 7:08 AM, JWM said:

Vey nice result indeed! You mentioned that the scheme is fictious. Frankly speaking I thought that it is a real marking. Since it was inAzur box it is reproduced frequently so it became almost a true one :)

I have found in net Spanish Republican post mark said to be from 1938 with Cierva C 30 over Sevilla cathedral church. 

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania cierva c 30 spain

It is something like VI-3 (?) written as code. Perhaps this could be a only testimony how she  was painted during SCW...

Regards

J-W

Interesting that it made it on a postage stamp, it must have captured the imagination, the only info I have found is:

img_5581.jpg?w=748

These are the only ones I have been able to find that were in Spain in 1936, this picture is from Valiant Wings, The Spanish Civil War, Airframe extra no5. Apparently the only pilots capable of flying the thing were shot just after the war broke out. It certainly was used pre-war, most notably in Asturias during a rebellion in October 1934.

So it was there, it probably didn't get used but looks very cool, I was happy just to go with the kit on this occasion. :)

• Like 1