Another 1/72nd Matchbox Wellington,...B.Mk.X, 425 (Allouette) Sqn, RCAF, Tunisia, 1943.

Hiya Folks,

Here is another Matchbox Wellington, built as a B.Mk.X of 425 (Allouette) Sqn, RCAF when it was based in Tunisia during 1943. The model was brush painted and the kit was modified,...... new nose and tail turrets were added from the spares box, the nose from an old Airfix Wimpey kit and the tail from an old Airfix Lancaster, the fabric effect around the rear of the nose turret was also added using masking tape and white glue. As the kit interior is practically non existent and incorrect, I used the interior from an old Matchbox Halifax. The wheels also came from a Trumpeter Wellington kit and the cockpit canopy was sanded to reprofile it. Here is the WIP, from the Matchbox Group Build;

And here is the model,...;

DSCF1654DSCF1646DSCF1647DSCF1644DSCF1649

DSCF1651

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 35

As usual a very satisfying result. I always look forward to seeing your work. 

Reminds me I really must finish my Trumpeter coastal command Wimpy based on the one that ended up in the bottom of the bay just a few miles from where I sit.

• Like 1

Lovely work and smooth, clean finish with your brush - you should be proud of your Matchbox Wellington model.

Regards

Dave

PS - remember this particular kit together when I was a kid .......... 

• Like 1

Jeepers Tony, you've got a real knack for making silk purses there! She's bonza, mate!

Excellent subject choices as well, both this and your Palestine based ex-CC Wimpy are really beautifully executed, interesting beasts that one doesn't see every day!

Any more sow's ears on the conversion line? A SEAC Wimpy perchance?* :wink:

*Cheeky beggar ain't I?

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I'm coming to this very late, but is there any clear evidence that RCAF Wellingtons in Tunisia actually were DE/MS? They were only there from the UK for about half of 1943, so I've always wondered if they bothered to repaint them. I just can't tell from the b&w photos I've seen. Not that that detracts from the build, of course, which is fabulous! I'm just curious from a nerdy historian's perspective.