BBC4 tonight from 10pm

Lawzer

2 programs on BBC4 this evening from 10pm:

Britain's greatest pilot - the Extraordinary Story of Captain Winkle Brown. The FAA pilot recounts his experiences up to and during the Second World War

Operation Jericho - In 1944 RAF Mosquito bombers demolished the walls of Amiens Jail in what became known as Operation Jericho. The reasons behind the raid remain a mystery. Martin Shaw investigates

Don't know if these are repeats but I've not seen them so perhaps an interesting evening's viewing :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

48 minutes ago, BIG X said:

The Amiens raid was designed to breach the jail walls, so that captured members of the resistance could possibly escape - I think...

Indeed it was sir!

Now I wonder if I can source any decals for a 487 squadron mossie in 1/48.........

(a quick google reveals that the above is a stooooopid statement with an obvious answer ;) )

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wish i could see them🤨 we only get BBC AMERICA and its usually not very good until Top gear, Graham Norton, or Dr.Who are on. 

And of course BBC Iplayer won't play outside the uk (unless you set up a vpn or fiddle with your dns settings).

Maybe some kind soul will put them on youtube or the like....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

And of course BBC Iplayer won't play outside the uk (unless you set up a vpn or fiddle with your dns settings).

Maybe some kind soul will put them on youtube or the like....

The Winkle Brown programme is already there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe5ul37Q7g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lawzer said:

2 programs on BBC4 this evening from 10pm:

Britain's greatest pilot - the Extraordinary Story of Captain Winkle Brown. The FAA pilot recounts his experiences up to and during the Second World War

Operation Jericho - In 1944 RAF Mosquito bombers demolished the walls of Amiens Jail in what became known as Operation Jericho. The reasons behind the raid remain a mystery. Martin Shaw investigates

Don't know if these are repeats but I've not seen them so perhaps an interesting evening's viewing :)

Thanks very much for the heads up. Been on before but should on at least once week to show the best of this country the people that gave there all to make it a better place to be.

Group Captain Percy Pickard's ( DSO and two bars, DFC) cousin lived opposite me in Weston-Super-Mare . He's buried in Picardy.. Which Bill Pickard told me where his families roots were and named as from Picardy in the middle ages.

Winkle Brown was everywhere and  seems like he was everywhere at just the right times, record breaking test pilot and made the future pilots  lives a bit safer.

Both programmes showing great men. These were awesome, amazing and fantastic people. 6 decades before X Factor and the rest of the media collared the cardboard cut outs .

:mike:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/11/2017 at 11:57 AM, BIG X said:

The Amiens raid was designed to breach the jail walls, so that captured members of the resistance could possibly escape - I think...

Or was it?

I’ve just watched the programme and found it fascinating. It seems as though the official version of the reason for the raid (which captured my imagination as a child) has been questioned. Was the raid really to benefit the local Resistance, was it part of a wider plan to misdirect the Germans in the lead-up to D-Day or was to serve the shadowy purposes of MI6?

Of course, whatever the reason for the raid there is no doubting it’s audacity or the bravery of those involved. 

• Like 1