Poe's X-Wing - and my 1st SF / Spaceship

Here's my first SF Space subject.  It's the newish 1/72 Bandai snap kit.  I thought I would just snap it together and rely on the pre-painted parts and I'd be done in a couple of hours BUT...

Firstly I thought the orange moulded parts were a little too bright but they matched the decals so I thought I would proceed anyway.  Once I got to the cockpit I just had to paint the tub and consoles grey to give some definition from the fuselage. I then tried one of the console decals and discovered that the decals were thick and did not want to settle over the raised details.  That meant I was going to paint the consoles and panels. Then there's all that nice detail on the coaming in front of the pilot.  So it began.  The details on the parts is pretty good and it was pretty easy to pick out switches, panels and cables.  The colour choices are totally discretionary since reference photos of the "real" ship are sparse.   Since the decals were going to be difficult, I decided to paint the orange panels and squadron markings and so I mixed my own darker orange shade and also applied this to the orange moulded parts on the sprue.  

The model is actually weathered quite heavily although it doesn't show up in the photos very well.

As far as fit goes, it was very good and gap free.  The X-Wing foils are moveable as is the canopy and you can remove the closed gear bay doors and then insert landing gear and open gear doors.  The stand and base is included and you may pose the stand in a variety of positions.  The stand and base are moulded in white and I painted the arm in black and the base in a water effect.  This is also my first attempt at painting "water".  

I had so much fun with this I've asked Santa for a Y-Wing.

Please feel free to add any suggestions!

Cheers!

resized_f1e664b7-da81-40b4-b795-ff3ca390

resized_676758b4-617f-493a-b252-852c3a0f

resized_f9822336-0a03-4129-82b0-f16ad809

resized_edc9c576-ce67-489c-9256-356e3692

resized_c5e6b5de-8c5c-4fd7-9603-c63d7841

f741c35c-c87c-4507-829d-10ad8909da25.JPG

3f8f91b2-89f7-49ba-bf68-ea181bec8dfa.JPG

203b6a4c-f4b4-4eaa-8629-959514a8b1d4.JPG

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 10

It's weird how colors look. In the first two pics the orange looks too red, but in 3 and 4 it looks just right. Even though its the same model. Funny.  Black is a really tough color to photograph IMHO.

Great model. I really like your Poe and BB8. Especially the BB8.

Edited by Thud4444

delicate and great detail for a first in sci-fi - but I'm not sure how that really differs from any other category of modelling

from what you have shown, I can really appreciated the work and effort you have gone to, to produce your own great first in sci-fi

top marks