USS Enterprise Paint Colour

Papa4ways

Hi Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me, oh aye, Papa's asking for help again, but the colour for the USS Enterprise (Aircraft Carrier) that is listed on the build plans, just doesn't look right, I mixed the Tamiya XF-66 with the XF-2, 3 to 1 mix, but it just doesn't look right, I'm happy enough with the lower Hull colouring, but this Grey, it just doesn't look right, can anyone give me a possible better paint scheme that I could use, perhaps it's just me, if it's right, then I'll go with it, but I've been told that Tamiya doesn't always get it right when it comes to paint colour, and so, if anyone knows better, I'm more than prepared to listen

Thank you

Fred

Edited by Papa4ways

Are we talking about CVN-65 Enterprise?

If so, the colours are totally bog-standard US Navy Haze Gray for all vertical surfaces (which we make; Colourcoats M03) with their usual deck gray (M04) and flight deck gray (M05).

I could dig out FS595 numbers for these ...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Are we talking about CVN-65 Enterprise?

If so, the colours are totally bog-standard US Navy Haze Gray for all vertical surfaces (which we make; Colourcoats M03) with their usual deck gray (M04) and flight deck gray (M05).

I could dig out FS595 numbers for these ...

Hi Jamie

Yes, it is CVN 65, it's just as I say, the Tamiya paint mix just doesn't look right, and I wondered if there might be a Velajo or even another Tamiya colour, or, even a Humbrol or Revell paint that would look good, but if you have something that is right for this Ship, then yes please, if you have the numbers available, then if you don't mind, thanks

Regards

Fred 

11 hours ago, Papa4ways said:

Hi Jamie

Yes, it is CVN 65, it's just as I say, the Tamiya paint mix just doesn't look right, and I wondered if there might be a Velajo or even another Tamiya colour, or, even a Humbrol or Revell paint that would look good, but if you have something that is right for this Ship, then yes please, if you have the numbers available, then if you don't mind, thanks

Regards

Fred 

Hi Fred,

Ours (UK made enamels) are on the second page of this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/US_Navy_Ship_Colours_Chart.pdf?205554285801963019

US Navy Haze Gray (for the vertical surfaces) is FS36270 (Colourcoats M03) M03rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1482872679

US Navy Deck Gray (for all decks except flight deck) is FS36118 (Colourcoats M04) M04rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1500132111

The non-skid Flight Deck Gray (for the flight deck) is FS35076 (Colourcoats M05). Note that the flight decks do suffer a lot of colour degredation from flight ops - but this is the correct colour when freshly applied M05rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492950760

The anti-fouling red used now I mention it isn't on our colour brochure for the US Navy - must fix that! but it's available as Colourcoats M06 ACLE08rgb_10857c80-68f7-4df4-8b63-511e02