Dragon 1/35 Panther A, winter finish.

This is my Dragon Panther A which has been shuttling between the workbench & the shelf of doom for over 10 years. I made most of it then decided it needed Zimmerit. I tried Milliput but wasn't too happy with the result. Back on the shelf, fast forward a few years & I bought some Eduard etched Zimmerit but had to remove all the parts I'd stuck on the hull - exhausts, pioneer tools etc. Back on the shelf again. Finally got it Zimmered up & re-attached the parts. I decided to go with a winter whitewhash & decided to replicate the application in the field. I used off white artist's Guache slapped on with a brush then scrubbed with a stiff brush to simulate wear. Sealed & weathered with oils, Mig pigments & ground soil from the garden. Can't say I'm uber chuffed with the results but glad to see the back of it! Figures are Alpine.

Any comments or criticisms welcome.

Pete

81316fd2-6f93-46dc-bbaa-18a8b6a2071d.jpg

e314985b-c904-4eb2-be01-c305a6d60321.jpg

ff1e851e-6742-4eb2-b5b5-b901003102f3.jpg

0f35a82f-82f8-4064-a3f7-f05511cf3769.jpg

51e5ed8e-eb33-40ec-b269-f9a070e47564.jpg

516c2f00-06cb-4318-80fc-4f9f7dd7bc8e.jpg

7fe0ec79-e4a9-44ad-ae2f-dfcabe53a985.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Buzby061
  • Like 17

I think it looks pretty good and the glue is certainly dry after 10 years.  The zimmerit turned out very realistic and the weathering is first rate.

I like the beat up winter camo look (and that's good as it seems that's all I can do after several tries) and yours turned out very well, subtle damage and dings but

still overall white, just right.

Please don't take 10 years for the next one, I want to live long enough to see it............

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackG said:

I think that looks extremely well done.  :thumbsup2:

About your photo links, you seem to have linked the pages and not the images themselves?

regards,

Jack

Pics fixed now, had a brain-fart. :swear:

Edited by Buzby061

Wow !, and I thought it was slow to finish the kits ... lol, despite everything is an achievement that after 10 years has not gone to the ether ...
I also have some model in that situation, and only a stroke of inspiration separates it from that destiny.

I really like how I look at the end, that aspect is what I look for a similar model (in more ways than it seems ... lol). I love the figures, they are from Alpine, but you have finished them very well, although they do not look very good in the photos.:goodjob:

Cheers mate :yes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Wow !, and I thought it was slow to finish the kits ... lol, despite everything is an achievement that after 10 years has not gone to the ether ...
I also have some model in that situation, and only a stroke of inspiration separates it from that destiny.

I really like how I look at the end, that aspect is what I look for a similar model (in more ways than it seems ... lol). I love the figures, they are from Alpine, but you have finished them very well, although they do not look very good in the photos.:goodjob:

Cheers mate :yes:

Thanks for your kind words. I've got to agree about the figures, couldn't get the lights in the right position to show them to their best advantage. Alpine have to be some of the best figures available. I'll put that down to experience. 😀

Pete

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting the link to your Winter Panther, Pete.

First off, you did a grand job on zimmerit. I like the 'rarer' vertical pattern on the side skirts and the diagonal pattern on the turret, compared to the usual horizontal stuff.

Secondly, I think you nailed the worn whitewash effect. I've not used guache myself, or oils, for whitewash as I'm a bit impatient when it comes to allowing paints to dry. I highly recommend that you try the Daler Rowney white acrylic ink - which dries very quickly, yet remains 're-activatable' with water and a brush for quite some time, but way shorter than 10yrs!

I think the mud is great too, especially on the running gear, but I would have expected to see some muddy bootprints on the turret sides and top. Apart from that, I can't fault it.

And I am REALLY going to have to get myself some Alpine figures, because yours are the second lot I've seen recently and they are absolutely stunning - a thousand times better than anything else.

Your panther and figures then, are certainly worth a bump!

Rearguards,

Badder

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Thanks for posting the link to your Winter Panther, Pete.

First off, you did a grand job on zimmerit. I like the 'rarer' vertical pattern on the side skirts and the diagonal pattern on the turret, compared to the usual horizontal stuff.

Secondly, I think you nailed the worn whitewash effect. I've not used guache myself, or oils, for whitewash as I'm a bit impatient when it comes to allowing paints to dry. I highly recommend that you try the Daler Rowney white acrylic ink - which dries very quickly, yet remains 're-activatable' with water and a brush for quite some time, but way shorter than 10yrs!

I think the mud is great too, especially on the running gear, but I would have expected to see some muddy bootprints on the turret sides and top. Apart from that, I can't fault it.

And I am REALLY going to have to get myself some Alpine figures, because yours are the second lot I've seen recently and they are absolutely stunning - a thousand times better than anything else.

Your panther and figures then, are certainly worth a bump!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for your kind words Badder, must remember the boot prints next time! I'll give the acrylic inks a go when  I try another winter whitewash, good tip.

Pete

• Like 1

This is fantastic - it has a really grimy, mid-winter feel about it. The whitewash scheme and weathering over the zimmerit looks superb and the red numbers really 'pop'. The Alpine figures are excellent too.

PS - I may beat your record though - I have a 1/35 Tamiya Panther G in my stash which I started in 1998.........!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sancho Panzer said:

This is fantastic - it has a really grimy, mid-winter feel about it. The whitewash scheme and weathering over the zimmerit looks superb and the red numbers really 'pop'. The Alpine figures are excellent too.

PS - I may beat your record though - I have a 1/35 Tamiya Panther G in my stash which I started in 1998.........!!

Go on, blow the dust off it. You know you want to!

Pete

• Haha 1