Curtiss P-40N 120 squadron ML-KNIL, Merauke 1944, Hasegawa 1/48

Hi Guys,

Here is my Dutch defender of the overseas colonies. in 1944 one Dutch squadron with P-40N's was based on Merauke(later Biak)in New Guinea under Australian command. They were used in the ground attack role but did not see much action since the Japanese were seldom seen in these far away outposts. This changed later on when to moved to Biak in the north of New Guinea. Just one squadron could not make a big change in a big war in the pacific but they did it with courage!

Kit is from Hasegawa in 1/48, decals are from Dutch Decal and Flevodecals. Wheels from True Details and exhaust from Quickboost.

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Erik

• Like 36

I'd urge you to replace the hood with a vacuform one, so that it can sit properly (and no little notch off the front corners).  Not your fault, because that's the way Hasegawa gave it to you, but it does harm to the otherwise extremely nice appearance.

bob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I'd urge you to replace the hood with a vacuform one, so that it can sit properly (and no little notch off the front corners).  Not your fault, because that's the way Hasegawa gave it to you, but it does harm to the otherwise extremely nice appearance.

bob

Thank you very much for your reaction gingerbob! You are absolutely right about the "sit" of the sliding part of the canopy. A vacuform canopy would have been far better and realistic.. I think it will be something I do for my next Hasegawa P-40.

And for what about the little notches of the canopy, I never ever noticed that the "N' doesn't have them. Thanks for clearing that up! Also I noticed, after finishing the model.., that are some things on this kit which are just right for a proper "N" model..

Erik

Those notches- later P-40s had a little triangle added to the back end of the windscreen, which I think helps the hood exit cleanly (rather than twisting immediately, which would put the pilot's head at risk).  But the hood itself didn't change, it just slid inside of those triangles.

Happy thanksgiving :P

bob

• Thanks 1

I know nothing about this aircraft (and I think gingerbob advice is most valuable) but I do know your model looks great :clap::clap:

Next time it's going to be just perfect :wink:

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...