Another molotow thread

shood23

Right so I know this molotow chrome stuff has been talked about a lot over the past few months, some good stuff and some bad, so I recently picked some up for myself to test it out and from first impressions I am very happy with it. 

This is straight out the airbrush at at 24psi on a black spray tin lid. No primer, nothing special done just wiped off most of the dust and sprayed. 

2017-11-22_01-10-22

I have no doubts that it can be made better with more prep but for a quick mess around last night I am very impressed. I will be testing a few bits like masking and clear coats on it later today just to see what it can take. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

To answer the questions. 

The finish was 1 light coat followed by 1 heavier coat done about 5 minutes later. Like I said it was a quick test.

The only clear coat I have tried over it so far is Mr hobby top coat and it was a little too harsh for it. I will be trying again  with alclad aqua gloss as it works ok over alclad chrome so hopefully will be ok over this.

And yes this is from the 30ml refill bottle.  

The result with Mr hobby top coat. (Which from what I have seen is the kindest clear coat before aqua gloss). The blemish at the bottom of the cap was caused by me really rubbing quite hard on it may to test durability. 

2017-11-27_11-42-27

I will be trying again with alclad soon when I get some time with no kids under my feet all day. 

Shaun 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Shaun for this informative work with a popular paint treatment. My tests with slightly lower pressure but similar coats look best to me with no clear coat. This may work well for large sections of high-polished aluminum like the 188-PY of Dave Cox, which has been vacuum plated.

image.jpg

Like most of the chrome finishes it's still very delicate to handling unless it's clear coated, which results in the chrome effect being muted a quite a bit.

Don't try coating with anything other than a pure acrylic clear, anything with IPA or Lacquer with kill the finish as I've found when trying it out.

So to follow on from my learning experience of what clear coat not to use. 

I followed codgers way and lowered the pressure but it came out a little lumpy finish with the chrome, not terrible but noticeble. Then this morning I tried out the aqua gloss and here's the result. 

20171128_133306

Even with the bumpy surface it kept the mirror effect a lot better than with any other clear so far. I have no doubts it would be properly mirror if more care was given in preparing the surface. 

Shaun 

11 hours ago, saintsclaire said:

Hi

What do you use to clean your airbrush?

Thanks

Claire

Just regular old cellulose thinners for a flush. But the whole iwata cleaning set for a tear down. 

Shaun 

All i can say is WOW!! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Refill-30ml/dp/B01MR2KER3

This stuff is amazing - move over alaclad chrome. 

There's a few reviews on youtube about this stuff and since it's an acrylic there's no need to wear a mask.

It can be painted using a brush too. No prep to be done, just apply generously.

Thinning - revell thinning solution or asda own purple nail varnish remover - don't use the blue one, this is the acetone free version which i use for tamiya paint. Use a 1:1 mix.

Cleaning - you can use revell thinning solution to clean or use asda's purple nail varish remover - dont use the blue acetone free one.

11 minutes ago, Timbo343 said:

All i can say is WOW!! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Refill-30ml/dp/B01MR2KER3

This stuff is amazing - move over alaclad chrome. 

There's a few reviews on youtube about this stuff and since it's an acrylic there's no need to wear a mask.

But as it's a chemical there's every need to wear a mask !!!

It does look great though, thanks for sharing.

Jeff

On 27/11/2017 at 11:45 AM, shood23 said:

To answer the questions. 

The finish was 1 light coat followed by 1 heavier coat done about 5 minutes later. Like I said it was a quick test.

The only clear coat I have tried over it so far is Mr hobby top coat and it was a little too harsh for it. I will be trying again  with alclad aqua gloss as it works ok over alclad chrome so hopefully will be ok over this.

And yes this is from the 30ml refill bottle.  

The result with Mr hobby top coat. (Which from what I have seen is the kindest clear coat before aqua gloss). The blemish at the bottom of the cap was caused by me really rubbing quite hard on it may to test durability. 

2017-11-27_11-42-27

I will be trying again with alclad soon when I get some time with no kids under my feet all day. 

Shaun 

Have you got some of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-Future-Surface-Protect-Restore/dp/B000ARPH4C that you can try? It's different to the stuff in the white bottle that you get from sainsburys.

I have some of the pledge future surface but not had chance to test it on the chrome yet.