Airfix 1/600 HMS Kent county class Destroyer

Been planning this ship for some time and one popped up very cheap at a model show £3 .Reason it was such a give away,was no funnel caps.hopefully l can fix this with body filler.This will be a batch one,if you just don't look too close they look the same,far from it. especially between the two funnels.The Airfix kit is very basic,with lots of holes and over-sized parts.These can be replaced,lucky there is a Photo etching set from Atlantis models and 3D set from Shapeways for her.I,m replacing the bridge winds with plastic card.The ship will be waterlined 

The Kit

6uWoIoi.jpg

The Etching Kit

QLnRy97.jpg

Lots of holes

UIsFESg.jpg

The  Helicopter !

Cgr5kFr.jpg

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Chewitt said:

Reason it was such a give away,was no funnel caps.

I might be able to fix that. I think I still have the funnels from a model of Devonshire I scrapped years ago. I don't know why I kept them but I will delve through my scrap box tonight and I can save you a bit of pain.

I have been wondering about building one of these so I shall be following your build closely.

Good luck.

That would be bright.l will p.m.

Many thanks ,More photos,forgot to put the 3D set in.

K0nGocb.jpg

That's the hull waterlined,3D turrets and the front bridge done,that took all of yesterday.

lTYInFR.jpg

• Like 5

Been busy with the structure,that's supports the front mast,not happy the the top of it,I thought I could cut it off,the plastic is very brittle and I ended up ,having to build a complete new top part.Also a big thanks  to :worthy:  Paul E  :worthy:who sent a couple of used funnels which, without, I could not complete the ship. 

Old structure 

Gk7DOVF.jpg

New structure

PBu9zBp.jpg

• Like 11

Chris, it is coming on really well and the additional PE and Shapeways bits and bobs really enhance what is an old clunker of a kit. I just wish I could afford them for my own Airfix kit.

I don't mind if you tell me to bog off, but HMS Hampshire had it's mainmast at the rear of the forward superstructure (which extended further back on her) and not at the front of the rear superstructure which should be reduced in length. This means that the cross passage is further aft than portrayed in the kit. It would be a pretty easy fix with your modelling skills and a bit of plastic card.

See these photos:

http://countyclassdestroyers.co.uk/data15/images1/009_hms_hampshire_24_august_1974_portsmouth_navy_days.jpg

http://countyclassdestroyers.co.uk/data06/images1/hms_hampshire_at_the_breakers_1979.jpg

BTW, I fell in love with County Class Destroyers the first time I ever saw the Airfix kit of HMS Devonshire but HMS Hampshire was the first County Class Destroyer I ever saw for real. I joined the RN in 1976 and she was tied up at Chatham Dockyard with a huge hole cut out of her side being stripped before going to the breakers. I thought it looked really sad and at my age (17) I couldn't understand why she was being broken up. HMS Leopard was also there with huge red writing and arrows painted on her hull proclaiming "WEAK AREA" and it made me wonder what sort of Navy I had joined!

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks ,yes l noticed this, not one county is the same,l might be going back to Devonshire,still thinking about it .That site has some brilliant photos.

As is normal with lots of RN classes, there are not just differences in batches but individual ships often have one-off mods. The problem is finding enough good photos for the particular build you are doing.  As it happens, HMS Devonshire had the mainmast in the same position as HMS Hampshire.

http://countyclassdestroyers.co.uk/data12/images1/015_hms_devonshire_9_may_1977.jpg

Yes, it is a great site and I spend (too) many hours on it!

Dave

• Thanks 1

Probably notice I have changed the name of the ship to Kent,as she has the rear mast in position as in the the Airfix kit.Thanks to Dave for highlighting this,before any decals had been applied. 

• Thanks 1

Got back to Kent,at last ,with work,Christmas nights out,nothing has been done until today.The rear funnel looked wrong,what it was,the deck it sits on, was too low.The photo will show what I have done,to rectify this.Looks right now. 

F3GcCfO.jpg

• Like 3

The Wessex helicopter ,is the worst piece in the kit,stole parts from a 1/700 Wessex and added a dome at the rear.hopefully once painted,it will be ok.

H4cSXct.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Had to put the masts on to see,plus that's the 3D seacat launchers with the P.E. fitted.Yes that's the seacat missiles,all 8 of then to be made up.  :rage:

UYX5gvS.jpg

qxFkYq0.jpg

• Like 5