BAC Lightning.

stevej60

Hi folk's decision made,none entered so far and long overdue EE/BAC Lightning can't recall building Matchbox's kit ao not sure wahat to expect! just a marker

this could be a post Christmas build.

pk114bt

• Like 10

Hi folk's I've seen some cracking decal's for the Buccaneer which I'm ordering regardless of the kit ones so I may as well see what's

out there cheap for this kit,which mark of Lightning is it supposed to represent?

It's sold as an F.6 / F.2A (that's the order that they entered service), but you could probably fake an F.3A as well. Lots of Lightning information out there if you want to use some references to make the changes.

Here's a good one: http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/history.php

Have a lot of fun, it will save me from doing mine!

14 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

XR773 F.6 according to the serial. What’s more it still exists in South Africa.

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=219

Watching with interest

Trevor

Thank's Trevor the kit arrived today and the instruction sheet verified it as an F6,been looking at AM decal's at Hannant's as I want to order a set for

the buccaneer only F6 schemes are later all green finish  only silver schemed decals at a reasonable price are for the F3.

Anyone explain why both Lightnings in the artwork have the letter "F" on the tail? - I'd have thought they'd have different tail codes.

PS - I know nothing about such subjects but am both curious and eager to learn.

• Like 1

Semi answered my own question - XR773 carried "F" on her tail when in 74 Sqn so the one in the foreground is correct but if the serial on the furthestmost one is XR713 (Can't make it out to be 100% certain) then a quick Google doesn't give any indication of it being a 74 Sqn aircraft - Only 111 Sqn.

Curiouser and curiouser...

IanJ

• Like 1

I suspect that the chap who did the box art wasn't particularly au fait with RAF serial numbers and aircraft I/d letters: post war it was almost unheard of for two aircraft on one squadron to share the same code letter.  IIRC 74 Squadron's early Lightning F. 6s were XR768 to '773 and wore the letters "A" to "F" respectively.

XR713 served with 111 Squadron and is now preserved in their colours by the Lightning Preservation Group at Bruntingthorpe.  She's also served with 5 Squadron as "S", also in bare aluminium, and with the LTF in Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey camouflage.

Edited by stever219
Typoo
  • Thanks 1

Kit arrived in a battered old box but polybagged inside was a kit as fresh as the day it went in,what suprised me was the raised detail only

recessed lines where you would expect them I think under a coat or two of paint this might look a half decent build,Decal's are poor to say the least

so new ones needed and great to see a stand included,Ill pop some pics on after a cuppa just got in from work!

4 minutes ago, Rob G said:

When I'm home from work (much) later today, I'll have a dig and see what I have in the way of decals for this. Any particular mark and/or colour scheme combination you're chasing?

Many thank's for that Rob but all's well for a mere £4 Ive ordered some along with some for the Bucc,but thank's for the offer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sprue shots folk's

Thank you, Steve!

Your kick made me inspect my shelves of doom with my little Matchbox EE Blitz! (I like it much, more than my Trumpeters and oops, i found 8 with

Hasefrogairfixes altogether)

I built several, but there are only remains of a 45 year old 1:100 Tamiya one. I will reassemble that.:D

Cheers,

Thomas

• Like 1

On 28.11.2017 at 12:20, stevej60 said:

Sprue shots folk's

I made it yesterday,

the little Tamiya Blitz from about 1970.... i feel it, i have to make a new Frightning soon.......

lig_539m7

• Like 1

Look's great can't wait to start this one but trying to hold out for now especially as the decals arrived too,overal Barley Gray scheme with low viz 

marking's should be that bit different,I quite like those Tmiya 1/100 kits must have a go one day.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:05 PM, stevej60 said:

L,I quite like those Tmiya 1/100 kits must have a go one day.

Oh no you don't, there are only enough left for those of us who have recognized the potential of these kits for years and therefore have first evs on them, especially at the rate you knock them out, back off!

31 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Oh no you don't, there are only enough left for those of us who have recognized the potential of these kits for years and therefore have first evs on them, especially at the rate you knock them out, back off!

Ok Dave I'll continue working my way through the Matchbox range then next year Frog!

Hi Steve,

I've just noticed your purchase of Modeldecal for the Lightning, I've had mixed results with Modeldecal, sometimes they seem a bit short of glue but that could be down to me soaking them for too long (or that they are 40 years old!!) but I'd have the Future or some such standing by ready to stick them down just in case.

• Like 1