BA A380 question

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Apart from livery the LH A380 is be the same as a BA A380.

Stephen 

Do you know if the Revell ‘First Flight’ livery A380 is also from the same mould?  Sure I read somewhere that the BA decals weren’t a perfect fit for that.

Still unsure about whether to go with the Airbus in house scheme or BA which looks fantastic when done right.

i’d be Surprised in Revell have two A380 mouldings, so I presume it’s the same kit with different decals and packaging.

still, would be nice if someone could clarify that just in case my assumption is wrong.

17 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Do you know if the Revell ‘First Flight’ livery A380 is also from the same mould?  Sure I read somewhere that the BA decals weren’t a perfect fit for that.

Still unsure about whether to go with the Airbus in house scheme or BA which looks fantastic when done right.

i’d be Surprised in Revell have two A380 mouldings, so I presume it’s the same kit with different decals and packaging.

still, would be nice if someone could clarify that just in case my assumption is wrong.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A144&topic=Airbus+A380

it looks like the same plastic to me.

1 hour ago, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

Yup, same plastic, different box/decals. 

Andrew

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Thanks chaps, good to know!

Lufthansa has Trent engines too, apparently (but don't seem to like slapping RR stickers on them like BA do):

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/Airbus/A380/D-AIMA-Lufthansa/5GEbC6

I think the kit caters for both types (although from memory only with different fan disks and exhaust cones).

Andrew

• Like 1

On 22/11/2017 at 5:14 PM, BluesModeller said:

Sure I read somewhere that the BA decals weren’t a perfect fit for that.

I made the "House Colours" version in last year's Airliner group build, using BA decals from Ray at 26Decals.  Don't remember any particular fit issue with the decals.

My original photos have been hijacked by Photobucket but could upload one here if you are interested.

Regards 

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I made the "House Colours" version in last year's Airliner group build, using BA decals from Ray at 26Decals.  Don't remember any particular fit issue with the decals.

My original photos have been hijacked by Photobucket but could upload one here if you are interested.

Regards 

Mike

Cheers Mike, would appreciate that!

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:24 PM, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

Lufthansa has Trent engines too, apparently (but don't seem to like slapping RR stickers on them like BA do):

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/Airbus/A380/D-AIMA-Lufthansa/5GEbC6

I think the kit caters for both types (although from memory only with different fan disks and exhaust cones).

Andrew

Indeed both LH and BA have RR engines, if you browse through airliners.net you'll find all frames are from the A380-84X series. The A380-86X otherwise implies EA engines. 

Hi Bluesmodeller

Hope these four assorted views give you an idea of how the 26Decals fit this model:

20161120_11040420161120_11033920161120_10332320161119_153421

The livery decals went on very easily but I cut the tailfin insignia into 3 pieces (having carefully noted how far apart each one was from the others) to avoid any silvering issues with the large clear parts of the decal.

I found the door decals etc to be very thin and managed to mess a couple up - there are no actual spares so I used some of the ones intended for non-white liveries.  Nottoo noticeable if one doesn't look too closely!

Regards

Mike

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Bluesmodeller

Hope these four assorted views give you an idea of how the 26Decals fit this model:

20161120_11040420161120_11033920161120_10332320161119_153421

The livery decals went on very easily but I cut the tailfin insignia into 3 pieces (having carefully noted how far apart each one was from the others) to avoid any silvering issues with the large clear parts of the decal.

I found the door decals etc to be very thin and managed to mess a couple up - there are no actual spares so I used some of the ones intended for non-white liveries.  Nottoo noticeable if one doesn't look too closely!

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, That looks stunning and is what i’m hoping to achieve... Though I seriously need to brush up on my skills!

I think you’ve just sold me on going for the BA decals from 26D too.  The Airbus house colours looks fine but the BA one just pops and will go well with my BA A319.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Thanks Mike, That looks stunning and is what i’m hoping to achieve... Though I seriously need to brush up on my skills!

I think you’ve just sold me on going for the BA decals from 26D too.  The Airbus house colours looks fine but the BA one just pops and will go well with my BA A319.

Cheers!

Glad that you found the pictures useful.

It was painted with Halfords Appliance white, Halfords Fiat Capri Blue (both rattle cans) and Tamiya Ocean Grey (airbrush) for the aeroflex (though this is too dark).

As for brushing up on your skills..........  I lost quite a few of the panel lines whilst filling the windows and also over the fuselage joint, but managed to rescribe the obvious ones on the top of the aircraft.

The undercarriage legs are quite brittle - all three have brass rod inserts to rectify my breaking them at various stages.

Have taken the liberty of inserting a link to my build thread:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Glad that you found the pictures useful.

It was painted with Halfords Appliance white, Halfords Fiat Capri Blue (both rattle cans) and Tamiya Ocean Grey (airbrush) for the aeroflex (though this is too dark).

As for brushing up on your skills..........  I lost quite a few of the panel lines whilst filling the windows and also over the fuselage joint, but managed to rescribe the obvious ones on the top of the aircraft.

The undercarriage legs are quite brittle - all three have brass rod inserts to rectify my breaking them at various stages.

Have taken the liberty of inserting a link to my build thread:

Just doing a 1/390 747 and have had the same issue of sanding away the panel lines.  Got them back partly with a needle but it looks rough.  Will need to find a better tool.

Thanks for the link to the build.  A shame it’s fallen victim to the PB scam like many others but there is still a lot of useful info in there for future reference.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Thanks for the link to the build.  A shame it’s fallen victim to the PB scam like many others but there is still a lot of useful info in there for future reference.

Have re-instated the photos in the build thread :)

• Like 1

On 29/11/2017 at 9:09 AM, FortyEighter said:

I believe Aeroflex (i.e. the darker area on top of the wings) is RAL 7004 and a good match is Revell 374 which is available as either Aqua or enamel.  

• Like 1

On 05/12/2017 at 09:29, Gimme Shelter said:

if it helps you Harrier Viper fan, I used Vallejo model Air - it took ages to airbrush uniform white top coats but paid off

Sorry to hijack again...

Did you thin the Vallejo or do any polishing afterwards?

I used the White VMA on a little 1/390 747 i’m Building and the result was horrendous - Although i’m Brand spanking new to airbrushing which may be the culprit.  Tried to smooth the very rough finish with micro mesh but the dye ran off the pads and made a mess (Though they did smooth the paint to a near gloss finish).  Had a good airbrushing result with Revells white silk thinned with Revells own brand thinner and a few drops of flow enhancer.  Will use Halfords appliance white on it though as the Revell is very slightly off white.