Silver/metal paint for a DeLorean

Meteors

Hi guys, I'm more of a sci fi builder, so I don't really do cars. But I'm doing a Back to the Future 2 DeLorean, and I'm after some advice on paint for it.

Can anyone recommend a metal paint that would look good for this? I've got some Tamiya Flat Aluminium, but I'm guessing that won't look that great, and I know there are a bunch of metal paints out there, so I though I'd ask you car guys which are the best to use.

Thanks!

Tom 

Hi Tom,

I think the normal DeLorean had brushed stainless steel body panels so that should be the colour to aim for, maybe a bit lighter to look right. Most people swear by (or at!) Alclad 2 but I've heard good reports about Vallejo paints.

I tend to use Halfords car sprays. If you can find the right colour with a fine particle in the Aussie equivalent you should be OK. You just need to be careful because they throw out a lot of paint and if you're not ready for it you can get paint runs.

If you have an airbrush, paints for models generally have finer particles and tend to give better results.

You can, of course, try Hiroboy. He may do a colour in the Zero range but you need an airbrush for this and I'm not sure of postage.

Personally, I'd go with Tamiya or Gunze if you have access to them and they do a suitable colour.

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
Forgot a bit.

Fastcat is correct. The Delorean DMC12 was brushed stainless steel. It actually looks very grey and not at all metallic even in the brightest of sunshine

Humbrol 27003 Polished Steel is quite good for it. 27003 is available in enamel tinlets and spray cans. If its polished up when dry its too shiney, but left un-buffed its just about right

[I spent many years photographing DMC 12s in and around Belfast]

Thanks guys. I do own an airbrush so would be happier using that for the greater control compared to a spray can. I should have mentioned that I mainly use acrylics, so would probably be looking to use that. I haven't used a tin of humbrol enamel since back in the 90s!

I might give the Tamiya matt aluminum a go on a practice model, see how it turns out. If not I might search for a Vallejo metal paint as I've had good results with their other stuff.

All the ones I worked on had a flat silver look to them. Even when polished. Nothing at all like a NMF airplane.  I would use whatever most people use for RAF 50's high speed silver. I would probably add a few drops of black to darken it up a tad.  And don't forget the light grey crumple zones on the back and front, I used dark ghost gray for that.  I used Testors silver, you know the ones in the tiny square bottles, on mine. I darkened it with a few drops of flat black. I used straight silver on the pipes that ran down the sides of the car. But unfortunately those are all enamels.

And if you wanted something different,  there where three painted Deloreans done up here in the US after they arrived State side by the dealers 

Yellow

6922e8697afeea4bc542723c4cf48ea4.jpg

Red

1981-delorean-dmc-12-gullwing-ferrari-re

Black

568.jpg

the black car was repainted blue by its new owner

11125062494_f8499d0a14_b.jpg

Edit: didn't realise it was for a BTTF car.  So none of the painted stuff applies....:blush:

Edited by Thud4444
  • Haha 1

Nice colourful DeLoreans there!

Off to the shops today, will see if they have any of the Vallejo Metallic Steel 77.712.

Realised I had some Mig Ammo Aluminum and Metallic Silver/Grey, so I might do some testing this weekend. I'll post pics here so that anyone interested can see the comparisons.

Cheers!