Be gentle it was just a practice effort :)

I suppose I best post this since it's the first model I've attempted to put together in over 30 years.

Made many mistakes but if I learn from any of them I'm happy. It was never likely to be a showpiece :)

A few firsts. First time ever with an airbrush, first serious effort at making a cockpit look somewhere close to how it should. And first go with acrylics which I soon realised I needed after the fluff from Dave the Cat made a mess of the enamels said cockpit was first decorated with.

anyway....

Here's just  a couple of pics but there's more on flickr if anyone's desperate to see what kind of mess it all got into. Including a few macro shots of the cockpit detail (or lack of it in my case).

PSX_20171121_211516

PSX_20171121_205641

Now to decide whether I'm ready for the Revell 1/32 Lynx HAS.3 I bought the same day as the Spitfire.

• Like 36

46 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

but there's more on flickr if anyone's desperate to see what kind of mess it all got into. Including a few macro shots of the cockpit detail

which is  here and well worth a look

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138278056@N02/with/24696925158/

though  if you click one of  the pics that gets you there.

Great work, it's done and finished,  I need to find out if I can actually airbrush myself....

By the look this is the 1/32nd Revell new tool kit?

If  you feel brave I'd suggest painting the spinner black and adding the yellow tips to the prop blades.

The black spinner would then make it correct for a later battle of Britain scheme that the rest of the plane is.

If you fancy a bit of background on Spitfire camo and markings I recommend a read of  this

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

And the cockpit door crowbar  isn't red :) (this was a post  war  colour) 

You may not want  to get bogged down in research,  but overall here there is a vast pool of knowledge,  even if it's just to check for any pitfalls in a kit like the Lynx HAS.3 you mention.

And good to see another lady joining and posting,  @Shelliecool has been doing some great work in progress threads,  there aren't that many  here,  though I'm trying to corrupt my daughter.

@Mrs PlaStix  has done some  great WIP builds as well.

Note, If you are unsure of your  skills, (though I  say for claimed beginner you already have an excellent grasp of the  basics) you would find a Work in Progress thread very useful,   have a look at the early work of @BIG X  who was not afraid to learn in public,  has plenty of feedback, and has learnt very fast and well.

There is a very helpful and supportive community here who will support, suggest and cajole a build,  be  it from beginner or a looking in on a master class.

They can branch off in some odd tangents as the latest from @Procopius  will amply demonstrate

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029446-striking-back-172-trumpeter-wellington-ic/

though you  may find this kind of thread takes you away from actually doing any modelling...  and this lot too boot..

On 17/11/2017 at 23:44, stevehnz said:

I see you've attracted the usual gang of miscreants, layabouts & ne'er do wells that I feel so at home with so I'll just go & elbow my way into a decent possie & await the fun commencing. :)

Look forward to more

Cheers

T

• Like 5

I did wonder what the spinner should have been for late Battle of Britain.

The yellow tips will be done as soon as I need that colour for something else. Have already spent this months "pocket money". Oooops!!! :)

As for the red handle do you mean this bit?

Try and ignore the fluff. The macro lens is fantastic for showing every tiny little flaw.

PICT3284

Yes an understanding of basics but I'd say a beginner at trying to do things properly. Will check out that link cos I was trying to find good info on markings and searches  didn't get me too far so decided just to freehand it in the end.

Thank you Troy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nikkita katana said:

I did wonder what the spinner should have been for late Battle of Britain.

The yellow tips will be done as soon as I need that colour for something else. Have already spent this months "pocket money". Oooops!!! :)

As for the red handle do you mean this bit?

Try and ignore the fluff. The macro lens is fantastic for showing every tiny little flaw.

A readd of the linked Ducimus guide will show there were a series of  camouflage and markings changes, especially in 1940.  

It is complex if you wish to be as accurate as possible,  and there are many thread here to prove this.   It'soften better to pick a specfic subject, and do that,  but in the cae of the BoB photos are quite rare,  due to security, photography being  banned on opertional bases.

It is possible to go  down the rabbit hole on research,  I like pinning down details myself,  and where to  find it.

Yellow is a right sod,  you will probably need to put on some  white first.    The tips were a standard 4 inch on RAF types.

The red handle is the diagonal line on the  door.

Macro lenses are right sods for showing up 'flaws'  that are in reality nearly invisible,  one negative of the modern camera, but handy for checking.

A really useful resource is @Etiennedup flickr  of ww2 colour,  here are the Spitfire images

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

here's a shot you may find interesting, note the crowbar look to  be bare metal here, but grey-green, dark green and black have been seen as well. 

2528150904_a47e1e6a9c_o.jpgSpitfire by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Due to the non combat nature of their work, Air Transport Auxilliary used women pilots to deliver aeroplanes to the various units .Here a brand new Supermarine Spitfire is on its way.

One more you  may find interesting given the ATA pic above

10746455956_7733156acc_o.jpgCivvie Spitfire PR,XI   1948. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Civvie Spitfire PR,XI 1948.

In January 1948 this machine (PL983) was presented on loan to the USA for use by the American Civil Air Attache. In August of that year Lettice Curtis ( of ATA fame) flying the aircraft on behalf of the Attache took part, and won the Wiltshire Flying Club open handicap Race. This was taken after she landed back at Thruxton. from where the race started.

on the subject, I don't if it's widely apprecaited that the Soviet Union had combat units staffed  entirely by women during WW2,  this is a 1993 Timewatch documentary on the battle of Kursk has some interview,  the  lady shown was a tank driver

after 13.25 there is an interview with vetran pilot, Tamara Pamyatnikh, which has some interesting insights. 

Posting these as  this does tend to be a very male environment, and  I hope some examples above help redress the balance.

The whole documentary is worth watching  if you have time.

If you do the Lynx and ask question here you  will probably get answers from ex-service personel who worked on them.

Cheers

T

Really impressive for a first build - far better than mine when I returned!

Along with Troy's suggestions, may I make a small one too? Get a small brush and paint the front of the rear view mirror on top of the canopy Dark Green the same as the rest of the canopy framing.

Otherwise really well done, onto the next kit!