Original panam 737 colours

speedbird

Hi guys, hope someone in here can help. I have an airfix 727 and I’d like to finish it in the old  Pan Am scheme. I have the decals but I’ve no idea of the colours or where they go. Looking at some photos  I’ve found on tinterweb it’s hard to make out if the fuselage is light grey or natural metal.. anyone got a paint guid or something similar?

Mike

1 hour ago, speedbird said:

something similar?

Which model,original -21 and 1960s or later -200? Which year ? Blue cheatline  or Big Pan-Am white fuse

The 60s Berlin services like N317PA -21 had NMF below the cheatline. I saw a couple at Heathrow mid/late 60s

The -200s later about the time of National Airlines takeover had Light Grey paint on the lower fuse.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1366&bih=632&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=oWYUWr2sEIaxa9bxoLAE&q=pan+am+727-200&oq=pan+am+727-200&gs_l=psy-ab.12...414771.416779.0.421662.6.5.1.0.0.0.66.270.5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.jkDrwlzLMgk#imgrc=prIrd0neDLPJqM:&spf=1511286855034

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/550987335644347243/

Edited by bzn20

Thanks for that stringbag, I hadn’t noticed that... god how I hate predictive text 🤨 sorry guys... to clarify, I’m looking for details of the colour scheme for the pan am 727 as seen during the 60s with the blue cheatline and small PanAm titles.  If anyone has a painting / decal guide they could scan that would be fantastic. 

I thought that, in the 1960s, Pan Am actually spelled out the full title "Pan American" on their aircraft. They switched to just "Pan Am! in the early 1970s mainly, I think, because they had chosen that style for their new 747s - as it was easier to fit Pan Am onto the 747's "hump" than all the letters of "Pan American".

Err-r-r... you seem to have answered your own question here! The link refers to 26 Decals. Get the decal, and you'll also get a guide on how to paint the various bits and where to put the various designs from the decal, and probably also an historical guide on how the livery might have evolved with the years with tiny and not so tiny changes. So the point of another topic beats me..?

One thing I must point out, that link shows that the builder although doing a fantastic job, left the wildly incorrect Wing Fence on the trailing edge where Airfix accidentally put it, when I should be on the leading edge, well worth correcting, and shows you have done a bit of research on your subject

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, speedbird said:

Dunno about that mate, I’m no airline expert, just like the look of this

You need to do some things

1 change the thread title, not for 737

2 The original Pan-American scheme was for Internal German Service.  That is the one you asked for.......I think

3 Move the goal posts from your original request. That was for the original Pan-American scheme, only  to pick out the later scheme. Blue PAN-AM titles

4. By all means ask for help but try and do some research, if only to give yourself confidence that what you're looking at is the correct info you want. Its so easy to find ..History of Pan-Am etc. Image searches for whatever it is you want.

Edited by bzn20